Ownership Verified: My Brooklands Green sports saloon...

To be honest if it needs work on the bottom end it isn't going to get it. You can pick Triumph 1300 engines up for anything from free to a hundred quid or so, they were used in the Herald, 1300fwd, Spitfire, Toledo and Dolomite so aren't that hard to come by in decent condition.

To completely rebuild it would be a massive waste of money on an engine so common, it's essentially reached the end of it's (130,000ish mile) lifespan anyway.

You can pick Triumph 1300 engines up for anything from free to a hundred quid or so, they were used in the Herald, 1300fwd, Spitfire, Toledo and Dolomite so aren't that hard to come by in decent condition.

Used in the Spitfire eh? Well then I feel this is relevant to your interests:

Replacement is a good idea though if it's cheap. I've been there and done it. :)

Last edited:
My Brooklands Green sports saloon...

Yup, dump that engine and get another. Inspect any candidate thoroughly, though - pop the valve cover and oil pan off and look at them lest you buy and install something just as bad.

Should also be pointed out that the Spitfire engine has a well earned reputation for grenading over here. Most people will eject the BL lump and fit a Toyota engine instead.

Last edited:
Since Der Stig hasn't been around to say it, I will:

Hayabusa swap.

If you can't get a Dolly Sprint, make the Dolly sprint.

Hehe, I suggested a V8 this time around.

I'd quite happily help out with sourcing a Rover V8 for it. I think it would be quite a tight fit though.

Uh... You sure this engine has ever had oil in it?

Oh it did, once upon a time, but this oil at some point became treacle. Having spent the last few evenings cleaning the head/rocker assembly I'm surprised anything was moving at all...
The only reasonable bit was directly under the oil cap, as the fresh oil had been washing it away, but this engine obviously skipped an oil chance or two at some point, after that fresh oil has just been sitting on top of the gunk. :(

Also, poking around the bodywork with my thumb I almost put it through the panel under the headlamps. Decided to stop before things got more expansive...

I'm considering replacing the broken rocker, getting it running and selling it on before the rest of the engine tears itself apart and the bodywork becomes too apparent...

Last edited:
Uh... You sure this engine has ever had oil in it?

Had to have some at one point. Otherwise that 'mud' in the engine would be sparkly like it had glitter in it - because it would. :p

You should sell it for scrap metal and take it as a lesson learned.

No. The car has survived 36 years, it deserves to stay on the road now. I hardly think it's worthy of being scrapped, new engines are easy enough to come by, and from what I've heard the bodywork isn't appalling. I've seen much, much worse brought back to life.

No. The car has survived 36 years, it deserves to stay on the road now. I hardly think it's worthy of being scrapped, new engines are easy enough to come by, and from what I've heard the bodywork isn't appalling. I've seen much, much worse brought back to life.

I agree with this, although with the minor alteration that I'd personally rebuild the engine. It's small and old enough for the parts to be fairly cheap and then you know what you have. :)

Went around with the poking stick and a magnet and found:

Worst part of the bodywork is under the headlamps behind the front bumper, pretty crusty but not holes and no filler.
Each corner of the front valance where it meets the wing is rusty and has been filled, badly. Not really a concern and replacement panels are available in GRP as steel parts are extinct.
Rear wheelarches, just the edge where it meets the wing is rusty, both sides. Also, not too worrying, more cosmetic than anything.
Wing tips, both have rust breaking though, these always rot out although there is no evidence of filler on mine. In no way urgent and very much repairable.

Structural metalwork seems to be in a better condition with there being very little corrosion to the sills or in the boot/footwells.

Mechanically the gearbox is a bit suspect with the synchro on 2nd being worn, but it is still usable and a bit of double declutch/rev matching never hurt anybody.
Clutch has plenty of life left in it.
Brakes are fine and operate evenly.
Needs a new rear wheel bearing.

Main problem is the engine that has worn away due to lack of oil. I have all the parts required to put it back together as my plan was to replace what was broken, clear out the sump and then flush out the old oil and see if it'll run. However, given the massive wear on the rocker gear (although I'll have to check the other arms) I was wondering whether to replace the whole assembly, but that's another ?100 for a brand new one, and the repo parts are far worse quality than the old ones.

Not sure I want to shell out that much on an engine that may have a terminally worn bottom end (although there wasn't any sound of bearings etc failing when it was running last). ?100 is enough to buy another engine, although that one might be as knackered as this'un...

I agree with this, although with the minor alteration that I'd personally rebuild the engine. It's small and old enough for the parts to be fairly cheap and then you know what you have. :)

Agree with this!

Do a full rebuild on the engine and then you know what is pulling you around the streets,

In fact for only a ?100, plus all the new parts & machining, you could have two engines. Have a spare engine ready to go.

:smile:

Look what I spotted the other day!

That squirmy L sends of a horrifying message of universal badness. Almost spooky to gaze upon it. :D

The hallmark of quality. Of some kind.