Ownership Verified: My Brooklands Green sports saloon...

If it starts first kick in current UK weather conditions without a choke, you've probably got the carbs set rather rich.

It's a disease amongst UK classicists to run things too rich it seems, I'm continually following cars are shows running so rich I can taste the petrol. The Anglia on the other hand, is no different to a modern car in terms of rich smell.

Yup, it is running rich, that's the job this weekend. Although I tend to use a bit of choke on cold starts.

I'd imagine so, he's painted the common rot-spots. It hasn't worked. :lol:

Anyways, in the 3 days I've left it sat it's decided it no longer wants to engage 2nd gear properly on downshifts. Looks like I'm going to learn double declutching and rev matching as it is probably worn synchros showing in the cold weather... Also got a new battery but need to test the alternator first to actually find out if it's working properly to make sure I don't damaged the battery.

You could also try double de-clutching (wiki) when changing down, it may help. :dunno:

I tried double declutching in the Anglia due to the lack of synchro on first. I got bored and just stop in second instead now. :lol: Of course, a useful skill to learn, and even moreso now for the Captain!

Anyways, in the 3 days I've left it sat it's decided it no longer wants to engage 2nd gear properly on downshifts. Looks like I'm going to learn double declutching and rev matching as it is probably worn synchros showing in the cold weather...

If it's happens when cold or gets worse when cold, it might just be that the oil is old and worn out. You should try changing it.

These were left in the Random Thoughts Auto thread, but I think they needed to be returned here... :p

I do about 3300rpm in top gear at 60mph in both my cars.

Although one of them won't do that either because the engine isn't actually working... :unsure:

Naturally. Coming home on Sunday night I was accelerating up to 60mph when the engine starts struggling and losing power, limped it home at 35mph. Hoping it's some sort of fuel system problem although there was a nasty clacking sound from the front end so the engine may be toast. It might be running on 3 cylinders but I couldn't be arsed with it and dumped it in the garage.

Although to be fair the Yaris is doing it's very best to be broken, with it's rattly engine and gearbox that doesn't like 1st or 2nd.

Just saving you the trouble of updating the thread, mate. :mrgreen: :evil:

That said, you probably want to do the mechanic's stethoscope trick with a long screwdriver to see where the noise is coming from. Though you might want to pull the valve cover and check clearances first - Dolomite engines dropping valves or valve seats weren't exactly unknown, unfortunately, and if you don't figure out what the problem was before running it again the debris rattling around in the cylinder can put paid to your engine.

Last edited:
At this point it looks like I'll be re-building the engine, re-wiring it and doing various other bits ahead of the MOT in June. It's going to have to wait until January though as I need the money to service, insure, MOT and tax the Yaris for another year, with rather unfortunate timing my bills come at Christmas time with that'un. :rolleyes:
It's a good excuse to do all the other bits I planned to do on it anyway.

Andeh said:
After a month on salty winter roads?
If that sells for that much I'm re-valuing my car at ?700! :lol:

All this talk about salt, rebuilding this, rewiring that, malfunctions and petrol burning away... You can literally feel the britishness all up in this thread.

God speed my friend, for you are a classic car owner...you best be on alert. :lol:

I bought a proper radio, because priorities...

PC225838.jpg

Also because these will set you back about ?20-?40 on eBay, and ?60+ with a aux input wired in. This cost ?6 as somebody in the Dolomite club gave it to me for the cost of postage and I know a guy who can wire in an aux input for a tenner. :D

Last edited:
You can get vintage looking modern radios.

You can get vintage looking modern radios.
Probably not for ?6, though.
This.

Whilst having a decent sound system installed seems tempting sometimes there isn't any provision for decent sized speakers in the front and the sound deadening is so non-existent it doesn't really make that much sense.
The speakers and head unit currently fitted are rubbish anyway, and I spend a lot of time with the radio on quietly so I can listen out for things breaking! :lol: (Also, if I turn it up too loud I run out of electricity and the indicators refuse to flash and the wipers don't work properly...)

Anyways, If I was going to go for decent sound quality I'd fit the period radio in place and hide a modern system either in the glovebox or elsewhere in the car with a remote control. ;)

Funnily enough, my radio is also on YouTube in the car it was in originally, in this video...

Last edited:
You know the guys who made that video? Kudos.

I'll vouch for the quiet radio-breaking noises thing, I was listening to the radio loudly when driving the Disco earlier and the exhaust tried to escape. It was cold when I re-fitted it a few minutes after I noticed, who knows how long it had been disconnected. =|

I bought a proper radio, because priorities...

PC225838.jpg

Also because these will set you back about ?20-?40 on eBay, and ?60+ with a aux input wired in. This cost ?6 as somebody in the Dolomite club gave it to me for the cost of postage and I know a guy who can wire in an aux input for a tenner. :D

A tenner?! He charges me fifteen. :cry:

I'm pretty sure just looking at this car gave me herpes.

A tenner?! He charges me fifteen. :cry:

I admit I forgot to check and guessed the price. His official price is ?20 apparently, still not too bad.

That's because Captain Yaris puts out, and you don't.

It is well known that I couldn't put out if I tired. :p The car is like a final nail in the coffin.

Last edited:
I admit I forgot to check and guessed the price. His official price is ?20 apparently, still not too bad.

Twenty quid? You could buy a replacement for your Dolly for that! Or so claim the used-car freaks over at Pistonheads.

It is well known that I couldn't put out if I tired.

You'll find out exactly how true that is when you hit my age, sonny.

The car is like a final nail in the coffin.

You live in Scotland. There's nothing in the field of getting laid that a bottle of whisky can't overcome.

Isn't there a little blue pill for that?

If one has a cooperative doctor, no other complicating medical conditions, and insurance, none of which I have.

Investigating the problem with the starting, smoke is coming from the starter solenoid, dunno' if it's the wiring or the solenoid itself though.

A closer look around the car with a torch shows I seem to have bought a dog. At this rate the likely course of action is removing the engine, gearbox, electrics and trim and sending the car away to be welded. While it's away the engine will be re-built, the gearbox might be refurbed or replaced and when the shell is back the whole car will be re-wired in a way less prone to fire.

Or, more likely, I'll give up on it and sell it on at a massive loss in the Summer.