My Yuppiemobile: 1986 BMW E30 318i

Fuck you and everyone else with E30s available for a reasonable amount of money.

/rant

Sad to see her go. :(

Sold. I'm feeling a bit melancholy. I'm going to miss Claudine.

Must have been having a 'cheap RWD cars enthousiasts fap over' day because they said that on their way to buy the E30 they also bought an NA MX-5.

However, I did make a profit so if I don't end up being too stingy the Clio will no longer be neglected.

For the past few weeks, I've been feeling deep regret at selling this car. It had led me to ritual browsing of classifieds to find another pre-facelift, 4-door, manual E30 in decent condition with a non-beige interior at a reasonable price - this is harder than I thought, and definitely harder than it was when I bought mine.

I saw an ad, that showed a picture of a blue E30 interior. I thought, 'nice, it's like my one'. Then when I clicked on it, my heart dropped.

http://bit.ly/12c5j0T

What have they done to you?! :cry:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering buying it back, and rescue her from chav life. But for that price? Unfortunately that price is just daft. It was a good solid car but an E30 318i with bad paint and still plenty of things that needed doing is not worth that.

I toyed with the idea of sending a friend undercover to bargain him down... with the profit I made on the sale plus selling off his 'new' suspension and painted wheels to an idiot, I could break even pretty easily, or even make money on the deal.

But, I'm not sure. I certainly have an emotional attachment to this car. It was an awesome adventure for me, everything about buying it, owning it and eventually selling it was something that gave me many stories to tell my kids. But it was always meant to be a starting point, a stepping stone to bigger and better things. An E30 wasn't even what I originally wanted when my friends and I set out on an epic journey to buy a car. But fate landed me with this car, and it ended up being more of a friend to me than I ever expected. Perhaps even more than my first car, the RenaultSport Clio that I still love.

However, I think there's only one way to go from here - onwards and upwards. I still search constantly for the E28 that I originally took the trip to Melbourne to buy. Maybe that Series III XJ6 I have always dreamed about owning. Or the Ford Cortina I wanted since I was a small child. I hope my E30 goes to a good home - one that hopefully loves it more than its current one. I hope it gets the treatment it deserves. Sadly, I'm no longer the one to provide it.

Meanwhile, I'm going back to the classifieds.

Last edited:
That is why I wish I never see again a car I sold to someone else.

Yep that's what happens when you sell a car... You should never do it :D

It's a real shame, I'm just disappointed I'm not in a position to do anything about it.

I see my family's old cars around regularly. Sometimes it's a nice thing to see your old car, especially when you thought it would be dead but is still going strong. Our ancient Falcon we sold years ago is still being used as a workhorse, and I saw mum's Swift in a carpark at uni the other day - both cars are still in the hands of the people who bought them from us. You just have to find a good buyer who will appreciate the car - the kid who bought my E30 sadly didn't.

I know, writing this on a car forum isn't the best of things, but I have to say anyway: It's just a car. Let it go.

I know, writing this on a car forum isn't the best of things, but I have to say anyway: It's just a car. Let it go.

You don't know, man. You weren't there!

:p

I realise this sounds a lot more emotionally charged than it is. I'm sure many people share a tale about seeing their old cars and feeling disappointed. I'm still very happy with the money I got for the car - after that initial disappointment, I don't really care about what happens.

I sensationalise things for a living, it's only natural that comes out here :p

Reactions: lip
I saw the folks' old S-10 on which I learned to drive, it's been beaten and thrashed to within an inch of its life, and obviously neglected. I'd lie if I said I didn't feel sorry for the poor thing, it deserves a better kind of owner.

Yep that's what happens when you sell a car... You should never do it :D

QFT! :lol:

I never got attached to my Crapsica but it'll be interesting selling my first real car (Mustang) even though it's rather meh. :?

Sorry about the E30 and while I can certainly see the pros of buying it back, I think the money is better spent on upgrading to something better. Take solace in that fact.

My old hatchback 323 died a miserable death way back when I had traded it in. Good job the Sapporo went to a respectable guy, hope your E30 will too.