Ownership Verified: Resistance was futile! My 1988 BMW 5er

loose_unit

DONOR
Car(s)
Model Y, NA MX-5, Volvo 940, Zastava
It took a while, much searching was done and linking people and discussing...

Picking it up:

The drive home, this may have happened:
b8YqW1h.png

Note: This was on an autobahn legally :D

Some glamour shots, note I haven't cleaned it - not sure when I will get the chance too.

MXM was right, 15":

The underside is pretty clean:

Fuel filler has been repaired at some point, looks fine:

The door corners are pretty much rust free - Less than Public's I believe :) - No pictures yet.

So, what is under the hood?

That is correct! a 535i :D

Managed 14.8L/100km on the journey home!

175,300km on the clock - runs reasonably well - needs a new timing chain and a tune up at some point in the next 10,000kms. I will see if getting it done sooner is fiscally viable :)

Oh, nearly forgot, proof pic:

Problems found so far:
Front left speakers sounds like one of the speakers aren't working

Resolved so far:
Rear speakers not working -- It appears the rear speakers simply aren't there - I will have to pull some trim pieces off at some point and figure out what to do.
Engine heats up while idling not sure how hot it would get, was fine while moving. - Looks like this is just normal behaviour as it didn't get hotter than the 3rd line on the thermometer
Heater doesn't work - get's a tiny little bit hotter but it's barely noticeable - I think the fact that it has been 30+ degrees lately has caused the heat to not be noticeable - it needs testing on a cold day
=============

Maintenance to-do:
Oil change - Oil looks okay-ish and levels are okay, but I would like to do it anyway
Coolant change
Timing chain and related parts changed - This is a big one, it won't be for a while
Wheel balance and alignment

Maintenance done:

Last edited:
If my E34 was like that, there wouldn't be any reason to look at E28s!

I approve of the model, of the engine, of the condition... Just my monitor seems to be malfunctioning, I lost all colour :/

Congrats!

What, loose_unit actually bought a car :O

The Hivemind approves.
Is that Lachssilber? A very concrete salesman kind of colour. ;)

Last edited:
Went back to the car to check a few things, took a couple of photos:

I also added some things to the bottom of my first post and will try and keep it updated.

Last edited:
This is an absolutely epic e34. You couldn't have bought a better one, especially for that money. I love every aspect of it. The wheels are awesome, perfect for the e34. <3

...aaaaand another one for the BMW straight 6 brigade. :thumbsup: Unfortunately the 535i was only available as sedan, in touring-form that would be epic.

Seems to be in good nick, I hope you'll continue to maintain the car appropriately. :)

Quick congratulamations before getting on with diagnostics.. :p

Problems found so far:
Engine heats up while idling not sure how hot it would get, was fine while moving.
Heater doesn't work - get's a tiny little bit hotter but it's barely noticeable

Rear speakers not working
Front left sound sounds like one of the speakers aren't working

These are part of the same problem, and I'd guess it's either faulty water pump or more likely air in the cooling system. You might want to start with precautionary bleeding of the system, it's easy enough to do. :)

These are part of the same problem, and I'd guess it's either faulty water pump or more likely air in the cooling system. You might want to start with precautionary bleeding of the system, it's easy enough to do. :)

I had suspected that actually - I recall many journeys in my parents old cars in 25+ degree heat having the heaters on to cool the car :D So the fact that the heating isn't working and the car is overheating rung some bells of connection :)

Edit: incidentally, I realised that 228kmph is the fasted I have ever driven.

Last edited:
Nice!

I really like that stereo too. Overall a very tidy car for the money.