Ownership Verified: My Citroen C1!

You have my engine, 68bhp FTW! :lol: I'm curious as to what you get in fuel economy due to the lighter car, I imagine it's a 'tad faster than the Y-Arse-Is too.

Should be 63 mpg UK or 4.5 l/100 kms combined, and about 12 seconds 0-60, which is a good compromise I suppose. All of those 68 horses unless the slowest 30 live in the area 4000 rpm - 7500 rpm though, so very high up the rev band
Booklet says mpg will vary until it's done about 3000 kms and is properly run in...

I'll have to adapt my driving style to suit it, I'm used to having tons of torque from 1.500-3.000 rpm and a redline at 4,5K...

Congrats on the car.

They are a great little buggy for use around town and surprisingly not bad on a motorway (as long as you are on your own without too much luggage)

My GF has an Aygo and my mum has a C1, so I'm speaking from experience.

We found that the motor really frees up after about 20,000km, we were surprised at how much faster my mum's C1 (2006) was compared to the GF's aygo when new, but it's better now, just wait a bit.

Also...

SUPERCHARGER !!!!!

0-60 goes from 14s to about 8s, just under 140hp and according to TTS the economy doesn't suffer (as long as you don't thrash it I guess)

It's a bit steep though, about 4,000GBP in total.

But it would be almost worth it to see the look on the faces of warm hatches as you left them at the lights...

Last edited:
Congrats on the car.

They are a great little buggy for use around town and surprisingly not bad on a motorway (as long as you are on your own without too much luggage)

My GF has an Aygo and my mum has a C1, so I'm speaking from experience.

We found that the motor really frees up after about 20,000km, we were surprised at how much faster my mum's C1 (2006) was compared to the GF's aygo when new, but it's better now, just wait a bit.

Also...

SUPERCHARGER !!!!!

0-60 goes from 14s to about 8s, just under 140hp and according to TTS the economy doesn't suffer (as long as you don't thrash it I guess)

It's a bit steep though, about 4,000GBP in total.

But it would be almost worth it to see the look on the faces of warm hatches as you left them at the lights...

Good to know about the "loosening up", most cars do that in some degree...
That supercharger looks interesting, but 4k? is a bit ridiculous, as it's half of what the entire car costs.
Also, I'd like some chassis, brakes and tyre upgrades to go with that, as I doubt 145 mm tyres can cope well with 140+hp

Also, those 14s sound dodgy, I'm reading different reviews and the 0-60 times range from 12-14 seconds which is a big difference...Wiki states 13.7 but that's the "old" engine from 2005. The 2012 update is a bit quicker (I'm reading 13ish 0-100 kph which is a tiny bit faster than 60 mph) and has only 99gr of co2...

first minor annoyances have appeared :

You cannot use the radio if you take the key out of the ignition. You do have a "accesories" mode on the key which powers the stereo and the 12v outlet for about half an hour (any longer drains the tiny battery).
So if you are at a standstill and want to listen to the stereo for more than 30 minutes (ie drive in movie), you need to start the car and then turn it off again.
Reaaaaally minor annoyance, but pretty much the only thing my other car had that this one doesn't :p

Wife was unhappy about it not having a temperature guage, and not being able to move the seat upward (she's only 5'/150 cm so she needs the seat at the highest and most near the wheel as possible...

211 kms in and 1 "block" of fuel used (that's 1/6th)... I'm guessing fuel consumption isnt linear, otherwise I would be able to do 1200 kms with 1 tank of 35 litres, giving me 2,91 l/100 kms or nearly 81 mpg according to the google...

^interesting, that car is near identical to mine, down to the window tints and wheels (except for the alcantara seats and the ghastly colour)...

I would actually say the opposite about the noise... a bit too loud/raspy at slow speeds and a bit too quiet at speed...
I think it has something to do with the throttle, if you open it up a bit it gets louder (exhaust with some sort of valve in it?), but if you drive like a nun all the time it's whisper quiet. I actually sometimes think it's stalled when I'm at the lights, since I'm used to a diesel rumble...

I've received Citroens "accessories" folder via email. it lists a bunch of optional extras you would expect (other rims, winter tyres, mudflaps etc), but also it does have some weird things in there, especially for this car in particular :

- racing stripes on the roof (143? fitted) Why would I want a sticker in a place where nobody can actually see it?

- a fridge : not even available on a Golf sized car, you can have a cooled centre console thingy which holds and cools your drinks... wtf? Price not listed but I'm guessing a lot.

- alarm : I can sort of understand this, but they range from 680? for the cheapest to 1.100? for the most expensive (ie 1/8th of the cost of the car, 1/6th for a bottom spec one ==> does not compute

- you can actually order a little door to cover the glove compartment if you really want to (59?). Seriously? Who cares?

- parking sensor front and rear (around 850? for both) : if you can't park something as small as this without sensors, you need your head examined...

- naturally, you need someplace to put your bicycle and/or skis/snowboards and since the boot is puny, this is their solution :

- if you still don't think the standard sound system suffices (only 4 speakers, but more than loud enough for my tastes), you can add 2 bigass speakers in the parcel shelf for a mere 189? extra

- if you really can't stand being without internet and 3G is too slow for you there's even a WiFi on board kit for 400? + subscription.

Daft options aside, there's only 1 I really consider (only for the lulz) :

Or is it too chavvy?

I would like a fridge! I used to drive an astra where the airco was connected to the glove box, and that was great!

I would like a fridge! I used to drive an astra where the airco was connected to the glove box, and that was great!

I agree that it can be useful, but would it really be worth fitting to a car as this? I'll never drive it for THAT long that I'll be needing a cool drink anyways.

In unrelated news I find myself looking for little errands to run just so that I can spend more time driving the car. I'm guessing this is a good thing :mrgreen:

Also discovered some more penny pinching : there is no boot light so if you're in a carpark thats poorly lit, you won't find anything in the boot (but then again, most boot lamps are so weak you need extra lighting anyway). Another thing, the interior lights only come on if the driver door is opened, none of the other doors have sensors. You have to switch the light to "on" manually if you want it.

Again, very minor things really, both of which can be easily solved by using your phone as a light (which is what I would do anyways)

340 kms in and I've finally had the nerve to really floor it, my suspicions were confirmed : 3,5-6,5k is a happy zone for this engine :)
(Don't worry finalgearers, I won't drive like it's on fire until the engine has properly set in and it has enough miles on it (say 2k kms)
I must say it does feel more and more like a go kart, both in handling (instant steering response, lots of feel) and driving feel (you feel like you're doing a million kph with the engine at full tilt but you're actually not really going that ridiculously quick). This is good because I don't really like paying fines, but I do love the sensation of speed :p

Should be 63 mpg UK or 4.5 l/100 kms combined
Booklet says mpg will vary until it's done about 3000 kms and is properly run in....

Around 600 kms on a 35l tank,not as much as i had hoped. The last 150kms were spent on the highway though, and i guess the engine doesn't like 140+kph for extended periods of time.

Still, this is around 20-25? les per fillup than before, covering about the same distance. Back to work (and also lots of trafic jams sadly) next week so I'll see how it performs in more realistic circumsances

My first and probably only mod (since the Frenchists Japanese forgot to fit a thermometer) :lol:

fitted it myself and everything :cool:

I never understood why you'd need to know what the temperature is inside the car. Outside, on the other hand...

I never understood why you'd need to know what the temperature is inside the car. Outside, on the other hand...

Because I'm usually inside of the car when I drive it.
If it's cold outside, I can usually tell by the white stuff on the ground (and the fact everyone does 9 kph)

If it's cold inside, I can tell by the fact that I'm cold, and vice versa. :p

However, an exterior temp readout is a nice safety feature. It can get slippery far, far before there's any white stuff on the ground. :)

If it's cold inside, I can tell by the fact that I'm cold, and vice versa. :p

However, an exterior temp readout is a nice safety feature. It can get slippery far, far before there's any white stuff on the ground. :)

true, but this way I'll know it's cold before I get in it.
My car features 2 other snow defeating safety features : winter tyres and ESP... so if that light comes on, it means it's cold :p
in a way it does have a temperature sensor

truthfully, this car's OBDII does apparently have a temp readout, dunno why they didn't bother with connecting it to something like the stereo display or something)
If you have lots of monies and skill you can do this :

SGinbouw06.jpg

But my 6,99? temperature guage works aswell :p

I just noticed the pop out windows, retro :cool:

Plus if you really wanted racing stripes you could just measure and cut it yourself for a tenth of the price.

'grats on the car as well.

I just noticed the pop out windows, retro :cool:

Plus if you really wanted racing stripes you could just measure and cut it yourself for a tenth of the price.

'grats on the car as well.

Retro and useful indeed! Thanks.
No racing stripes for me thanks. Near 3 complete fillups and MPG going up means I'm a happy camper. I also hear there's a new C1 /Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo coming out next year, but if it looks like the pics I've seen, I'm very glad I got mine now

Behold the uglyness!

Foto-8NBORVVC.jpg

Foto-MTXS4NCN.jpg

Foto-NFFPHZTA.jpg

:puke:

It's a real art to make what is essentially one and the same car, look so spectacularly bad in 3 completely different ways! The Aygo is the only one that looks remotely acceptable, the C1 is just a daft Fiat 500 spinoff and what the hell is going on with those lights on that Peugeot?

All of those look terribly photoshopped.

I also hear there's a new C1 /Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo coming out next year, but if it looks like the pics I've seen, I'm very glad I got mine now

Behold the uglyness!

* snip pics *

:puke:

It's a real art to make what is essentially one and the same car, look so spectacularly bad in 3 completely different ways! The Aygo is the only one that looks remotely acceptable, the C1 is just a daft Fiat 500 spinoff and what the hell is going on with those lights on that Peugeot?

:lol:

Nicely phrased!