Ownership Verified: Yuppiemobile part 2: 1993 Saab 900i 2.1-16

Does the slave for the Gearbox have it's own loop or is it connected to the brake system and using the brake fluids ?

Is the clutch the issue?
The clutch was fine, the hydraulic system that operates it is the problem.

Does the slave for the Gearbox have it's own loop or is it connected to the brake system and using the brake fluids ?
The clutch fluid reservoir is integrated with the brake reservoir but the two are separate systems. The brakes still work thankfully...

Aaaand it's still not fixed.

Life got in the way the last few weeks, I simply haven't had a spare few hours to pull it apart. But now the broken, leaky slave cylinder is out! Currently waiting on a new one, then hopefully it will all go back together and work again.

Then I just have to fix all the other things!

It lives!!!

New slave cylinder in and it's good to go. A couple of short drives says it's fixed. I'm happy with the result, even if I got a bit ripped off with the part... turns out local suppliers are considerably more expensive than the internet (who knew?!)

Next steps:
A proper wash - clay and polish etc
Fixing the indicator stalk - it doesn't stay on when turning right
Fixing the boot lock
Interior clean - steam cleaning/shampooing seats and carpet
A few other minor maintenance things, e.g. spark plugs, coolant flush

Last edited:
Did some automotive archaeology under the boot floor.

A dry-rotted piece of Finnish history.

The tread is actually lifting off the tyre, so next junkyard trip I'll try to see if there's a suitable spare wheel.

A nice Swedish touch, the unused punctured wheel garbage bag :lol:

The assortment of crap that came from the vast cavern that is the Saab's underfloor storage area. It is actually huge down there.

Two jacks, one is the original Saab jack, the other is from a Ford XF Falcon. This makes about 3 XF Falcon jacks I have at home now, I've never even owned one... A few random bits of Lego were the odd find, a crusty pair of gardening gloves were perhaps the gross find. An old fan belt, some rusty tools and a near new wheel brace were the other goodies.

Most things I've done with the car have been rushed so far, I've been incredibly busy the past couple of months. Any service work was done at night with a floodlight on, and I still haven't even had a chance to polish it. It's had one wash in the time I've owned it, for instance.

Saab official service manual states that the gearbox oil should only be changed at the 2000km service, and after that should only ever be topped up.

But why?

I had to help my brother move today, so naturally the Saab was the car for the job. I hadn't folded the back seats down before, but holy shit there's a lot of space in the back of a Combi Coupe!

We managed to fill the Saab, a Transit van, a Commodore wagon and a Jeep Cherokee with stuff, got the move done in one go.

Both these vehicles are load carrying beasts :p

More stuff just kept going in! With the seats folded, the load space is perfectly flat. Something not even many modern cars can get right. This car really was designed with Ikea in mind.

That's one of the things I love about mine. You could've still driven a lawnmower there. :lol:

Also, I visited a Saab-Volvo breakers the other day. There were literally piles of those Nokia spares on their floor.

It's deceptively huge. My brother's reaction was "what are you going to get in the... Ohhh okay" :lol:

Send me one? :lol: I've finally found a classic 900 that's being broken for parts so I'm going to harvest as much as I can when I get a chance.

I was wondering if I should run the Saab on all spares and see how it handles, Chris Harris style :lol:

It's common practice in this country to put space saver spares on the rear wheels of one's Commodore to go and rip some sick skids, bro.

Doing all 4 wheels on the Saab would be pretty hilarious, I'd imagine. :lol: