Ownership Verified: Snow White grew old and fat

I also enjoyed the quick actions in the 1-series, but they did take some time to get used to. You just had to think about being sideways and the car did just that. With a longer wheelbase, you actually have to kick the tail out, but then it's just a slow, smooth slide.

Yeah, I would imagine so. I started my driving career with an E21, so this concentrate or crash mentality has always been with me. :D

I seem to have developed an oil leak from the front of the engine. So it begins.

I'll lift the car up tonight when we go check out the Suzuki and see what's up and what's not.

I seem to have developed an oil leak from the front of the engine. So it begins.

I'll lift the car up tonight when we go check out the Suzuki and see what's up and what's not.

Unless it has suddenly escalated quickly, it should just be mere block and snow-dirtying seepage from the chain cover seal, rather than an outright leak. The dipstick hasn't had the level dip dramatically during my tenure, and the two separate mechanics have suggested I should've only kept topping it up, which I did. But if you have the place to hoist it up, disassemble what needs to be and slap in a new seal, more power to you. Figuratively, of course.

Well, this is what it looks like from below:

IMG_20140116_202611.jpg

IMG_20140116_202641.jpg

That hose coming from the right on the top of the picture is wet from both ends -> power steering fluid leak.

IMG_20140116_202626.jpg

The chain cover is also wet

IMG_20140116_202705.jpg

It's flying

IMG_20140116_203347.jpg

These are what gave the leak(s) away...

IMG_20140116_214002.jpg

I need to get it fixed soon, can't carry on leaving such big puddles after me everywhere.

Well, if the oil level isn't decreasing in relation to the puddles, it's just "rust protection oil" leaving the engine's surface, as Doctor 90 called it. Some of that is the P/S fluid, that is likely.

ooo, this reminds me of when my oil pan and chain cover gasket instantly combusted. had to fill that up with oil every week :p

http://img841.imageshack.**/img841/2328/pc046565.jpg

BMW. Alfa romeo of Germany. :D

Did some snooping around, I'm quite sure it's the power steering fluid that's leaking and making a mess everywhere. Ordered a new hose and have to follow the liquid levels until it arrives. The chain cover gasket might be sweating, but not this much as the dip stick level hasn't budged.

BMW. Alfa romeo of Germany. :D

Could be worse, it could be the Land Rover of Germany.

Anyway, don't worry about leaks, they'll stop by themselves. It's just in a new place so it marking its territory. :D

Could be worse, it could be the Land Rover of Germany.

Anyway, don't worry about leaks, they'll stop by themselves. It's just in a new place so it marking its territory. :D

Could be worse, could be the Land Rover of Longbridge.

1274251.jpg

I kid, I like the Gipsy...

On topic: I hope it just a pipe, sounds like an easy fix for a potentially big problem.

Yesterday, I finally understood what this wafting is all about, we started to speak the same language with the car. When cruising at ~100km/h it just humms and sails forward, you can have a normal coversation inside the car even though it's rolling on studded rubber. In the city, no matter if there's cobblestone or even small potholes, the car just sails over them like nothing. So it's like a boat without going too far and being a bouncy castle :) If you go over 100km/h, though, you really need to concentrate on what you're doing.

On the other hand, if you feel like it, you can go sideways everywhere. I mean everywhere (in snow). The rear end is quite light and far back, so it likes to dance around. It also does excellent donuts and maintains a long series of drifts easily. Don't know if that's because of the still studded rubber or because of the longer wheelbase than in the 1-series.