Ownership Verified: Snow White grew old and fat

That is exactly what it's about, and I'll be missing those late-night 500km drives across the country. On cobblestones it's unflappable, on small snowy roads it's hilarious and on a highway it puts on a casual wafting face.

Edit: Just to make it convenient, here's the entire saga of the car in my write-up installments:

Adventures in Beaterland ? Part 1

Adventures in Beaterland ? Part 2

Beaterland Report: 10,000 Miles in a Cheap BMW

Inspection Time in Beaterland

Season Finale: End of Beaterland

Last edited:
Took 30 minutes off my day to inspect the problem of the not-so-well working washer nozzle on the driver's side.

IMG_20140122_153122.jpg

Everything seemed to be in order under the cover. There are some leaks in the connection between the engine bay and the hood, but nothing major. The nozzle on the driver's side doesn't work almost at all, so I'm suspecting a blocked hose.

IMG_20140122_153253.jpg

Dafuq are these?

IMG_20140122_153300.jpg

Ah, ok, thanks. Well, better that they're not connected to anything, so there's less to go wrong :)

I would love heated nozzles for frosty mornings. By the way usually it is the nozzles that get clogged. I would test that by attaching a compressor to the nozzle. If it is blocked, the compressor will probably push out the grime.

How are the tubes near the joint of the bonnet, where they go in a tight bend and twist when bonnet is opened? It's a typical place to have a leak, which is not too obvious to notice.

I would love heated nozzles for frosty mornings. By the way usually it is the nozzles that get clogged. I would test that by attaching a compressor to the nozzle. If it is blocked, the compressor will probably push out the grime.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a go when I'm at the garage changing the power steering tube :)

How are the tubes near the joint of the bonnet, where they go in a tight bend and twist when bonnet is opened? It's a typical place to have a leak, which is not too obvious to notice.

That's the only place where there's been a clear leak. Public has MacGyvered it so that it doesn't leak anymore, only gets moist.

I actually feel sorry for the car as I'm not able to see all it's positives over the negatives :( The front of the car clunks. At least the right side bearing is loose according to the slightly shaking wheel, but I don't know yet whether there's something else wrong. This might have something to do with the wobbly steering, or it might not. The steering slack has scared the shit out of me a few times: very tired after a long day at work, going fast on a highway in a slight bend, overtaking a lorry and whooosh! a sudden blast of wind from the side. At those moments it would definitely be nice if the steering wheel was attached to the front wheels at all times.

I'm probably going to swap on the Continental studless tyres whenever my left hand starts working again. The very worn studded Hankooks are next to nothing on ice. It's fun when trashing around, not so fun when only looking to get wherever you're going as smoothly as possible. The power steering fluid hose is still waiting for arrival, I'm then going to change that on, swap the fluids and see if it helped at all.

I finally got the Brodit holder I ordered for my phone, going to attach that tonight. I'm also going to start using an SD-card on the stereo as the 3,5mm plug requires too much fiddling around and the quality of supply on Finnish radio stations is...well, let's just say I'd rather not listen to any Finnish channel.

I actually feel sorry for the car as I'm not able to see all it's positives over the negatives :( The front of the car clunks. At least the right side bearing is loose according to the slightly shaking wheel

Are you sure it's not just loose nuts..? :p

Front wheel bearing is easily replaced in an hour. would consider the thrust arm bushings before that, tho. Sounds like a front end suspension overhaul with new bushings and links would do it good!

I'm watching this thread in anticipation for a confirmation to my assumption that public flogged a lemon off :p

Sometimes it seems like it's only rust and the condition of door cards that are the important qualities for public. Other issues may be treated as "character" ;)

Last edited:
I had the steering tightened, a tie rod end and an end link replaced along with an alignment done late 2012 when I got the car, and I never was quite satisfied with the steering on highway driving but decided to get used to it; especially experiencing the steering with spacers on made me appreciate the way it feels on correct width tires and correct-ET wheels. Any clunks I experienced after the front end maintenance were when crawling on uneven surfaces like snowed/iced over parking lots, and that felt like it was in the steering rack and not further down. But that might just be my ass-umption.

And for the record, the door cards aren't perfect on this one either. :p

Sometimes it seems like it's only rust and the condition of door cards that are the important qualities for public. Other issues may be treated as "character" ;)

Yet he still buys cars that have broken down interiors and no door bottoms left :D

Now now, the Saab still has enough door sheetmetal! And the Peugeot has a very nice driver's seat, it's just not the one that's currently in the car.

I'm watching this thread in anticipation for a confirmation to my assumption that public flogged a lemon off :p

Even though public often has trouble seeing the forest from the trees, with his extensive doorcard adjustments, calling this car a lemon would be ridiculously ignorant.

Actually drove it last weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how sturdy and solid it feels compared to the crap I drive daily. Sure, it could use some attention in the front suspension. But show me an E34 that doesn't. :rolleyes:

The good thing is I'm saving a ton of ? per month sailing in this, until it gives up on me that is. Insurance and tax are very small compared to the diesel E81, and there aren't any monthly payments. The only thing costing more is fuel.

I'm either going to make the car keep its liquids inside, teach it to obey the steering wheel, cruise the hell out of it and save money or I'm going to sell it as soon as I can and buy something newer. I want to do the first one because that would make it possible for me to get a motorcycle but the other option is quite tempting as well. In any case, I'm in no rush in making that decision. I'm having a job interview tomorrow, maybe that'll give me new pointers related to my means' of transport.

I guess the gearbox synchro is giving up on the fat Snow White as well. First gear won't go on when cold unless revs are given :)

Last edited:
If it only happens when temperature is low, I'd suggest just changing the oil. Usually it cures all temperature related problems.