Ownership Verified: American Muscle - My 2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium

For shipping the car to Europe, I'd message Adrian. He shipped it 8er to the US and back so he should have some advice of what to do or not to do for shipping.

American Muscle - My 2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Also, that shipping quote seems low. Is the car enclosed in a container?

Also, that shipping quote seems low. Is the car enclosed in a container?
Shipping quote seems fine, with the lower-price option probably being shared container.

@Blackman - feel free to PM me, I got some contacts from back when I shipped Lucille.

So the conversion begins...

The weird things you have to do for German TUEV approval ;-)

Managed to get the Hella headlight washer kit to the US on the return leg of a business trip. So yesterday I dedicaded a half day to install it on the car.

Step 1: locate power

Step 2: find a spot for the relay to mount

Step 3: figure out how to run the wires

Then onto the tank:

Get that sucker out!

Test fitting the pump:

All the zip ties!

Nice! There's enough room to drill the hole for the jets without taking the bumper off

Drilling holes:

Jets are in!

Now some plumbing:

And that's it! I'm missing one connection to the headlight, so the washer are only active when the headlights are on, but other than that, it was a very nice & quick install.

Got a video of how it works?

Not yet! Hopefully later this week. I had to research in the wiring diagram which wire energizes the low beam, since the headlight connector has 16(!) pins it wasn't as self explanatory as I'd hoped :D

Last edited:
Why would you want to wash headlights if they are not even on? That is normal in all cars afaik that lights need to be on to use the washers.

Why would you want to wash headlights if they are not even on? That is normal in all cars afaik that lights need to be on to use the washers.

Exactly, hence the relay. Headlight washer activates when a) windshield washer is active AND b) low beams are on.

Wired it up yesterday and immediately flooded the engine bay with washer fluid... one of the connectors must have come loose. I'll troubleshoot it over thanksgiving...

FINALLY!!!

Still no decent video of the headlight washers in operation, I did get everything sorted out though.

Last edited:
FINALLY!!!

Still no decent video of the headlight washers in operation, I did get everything sorted out though.

Didn't see this post before posting my own recall notice. Oops :lol:

Got an appointment for next Wednesday, they were already running low on replacement airbags...

Got an appointment for next Wednesday, they were already running low on replacement airbags...

Let me know how it goes. Also, can you ask if the airbag cover (the center part of the steering wheel with the pony badge) is going to be replaced? I believe its part of the air bag assembly, so it should be replaced, but they might just reuse it because this is a special case. Mine has a small manufacturing imperfection in it, and while not big enough to make a big deal over, it would be nice if this action took care of that.

And that's it! I'm missing one connection to the headlight, so the washer are only active when the headlights are on, but other than that, it was a very nice & quick install.

It has already been mentioned in the thread but this is how it's supposed to work.

I wish my car had a separate button for headlight washing. It sprays the headlights every fifth time I pull the stalk, but the counter resets every time I turn the engine off so in reality it's almost every time. On longer trips when the roads are dirty it's still way too often. I've been considering just pulling the fuse for the pump but I'm one of those people that don't like when stuff in my car doesn't work, even if it's unnecessary stuff.

Well mine activate every time the headlight is on and I hit the windshield washer, no counter. But I also have a separate fuse for the headlight washers, which will transition into my glovebox as soon as the weather improves. ;-)
I did notice that it does not seem to use a lot of fluid, the frequency I need to fill the reservoir hasn't really changed. I do use rain-x though, so I don't use the windshield washers much.

Let me know how it goes. Also, can you ask if the airbag cover (the center part of the steering wheel with the pony badge) is going to be replaced? I believe its part of the air bag assembly, so it should be replaced, but they might just reuse it because this is a special case. Mine has a small manufacturing imperfection in it, and while not big enough to make a big deal over, it would be nice if this action took care of that.

I can confirm that the cover is not being replaced. Mine also has a small manufacturing defect, you can see the line where it's supposed to split for the airbag at the top.
Aaaaand you can still see it after the airbag has been replaced:

Last edited:
I can confirm that the cover is not being replaced. Mine also has a small manufacturing defect, you can see the line where it's supposed to split for the airbar at the top.
Aaaaand you can still see it after the airbag has been replaced:

They're all like that. At least mine is and every single S197 I've been in. So thats not a sure sign. I have a small scratch on the actual pony where a tool must've hit it at the plant (been there since day 1 or at least since I can remember) or something. Not a big deal as you need to know where it is to see it, but I'd be happier if I got a new one.

Got the recall notice too, seems like too much work to go to the dealer :p

Despite your comments in the 2015/2018 Mustang thread, this is one safety item I'd highly recommend doing.