Ownership Verified: My '08 Civic

With the R18A2 (AFAIK) engine the (i) VTEC is more of a marketing word. The engine has SOHC configuration and doesn't have the high and low cam profiles found in proper performance oriented VTEC-systems (B-series, K-series etc). If I remember correctly the i-VTEC only refers to the way engine can close another intake valve at low rpms to increase the breathing a bit, as speed of the air going into the engine is naturally higher through one valve than through two valves. I guess it also has variable timing on the camshaft. Anyway, it has rather good combination of economy and horsepower considering specs it has.

Anyway, good color and surprisingly fresh looking car for it's age. Definitely much better looking than the current model! :)

It's actually quite smart, even with SOHC. At low RPM on partial throttle, the butterfly valve is normally open a very small amount, and that creates pumping losses and inefficiencies. What i-VTEC does is delay the closing of the intake valve in conjunction with opening the throttle valve way open. Way open, on partial throttle, you say?

Yup. Delaying the closing of the intake valve means it spits back out some of the charge mixture, so you get your low power output and reducing your pumping losses.

Hmm.. The system sounds more clever than I expected. Tbh on cruising speeds in sixth gear there's no torque at all, but when you throw down a gear or two the wheee-factor engages immediately.

I'm going to have the 140 000km service done by Easter. I'm also going to change the brake pads in every corner and front disks in a week or so as they are somewhat worn and I've seen what happens when you delay brake maintenance too much..:| It's possible that I'll take her to Lapland around Easter time, first real road trip!

Ordered new brake pads and discs all around, should get them this week. Then it's a matter of having time to change them... Figured I might as well change the rear discs while working on the pads, then it's all done.

When paying for the car and quickly glancing at the summer tires, I was afraid that I'd have to purchase new ones already this spring. After having a closer look and measuring 3-5mm of tread on each of them, I'm happier. I'll drive the studded tires from hell as long as possible, change the slightly worn summer tires on and drive those for a couple of months and later on buy a set of new summer tires and studless winter tires from discounts for el cheapo.

Please forgive the coarseness of my editing, but my office computer isn't running Gimp..

I was thinking of something like this to minimize the Dyson/space ship outlook:
PYxUvZboJ-Bn29i3-a-haSJmDizkSMyIcwAFrZq-XAE=w1259-h944-no

It can't be non-see through, that doesn't fit. Maybe gunsmoke black lamin-x? Ideas?

E: Here's the original, if someone feels like playing around.

honda1.jpg

Last edited:
Nope.

Maybe a subtle LaminX tint would do the trick? My friend has Civic like yours and it has been tinted both front and rear. Looks kind of neat.

EvUr8OX.jpg

Slight smoke-tint (seconded on the Lamin-X).

15n5ikV.jpg

And since they offer the frenchie-tint...

imo in black car smoked would be suitable but in this color, imo no.

Yeah, I'm just toying with the idea. I saw an electric blue Civic similar to mine and it had the front plastic similar to how I Painted it. I think it looked cool.

This would be it, but what if the H and the light area right around it was left untaped? Would it look like a scrap book? So the area I colored at first and also the slighlty darker strips in between would get taped.

Yeah, it's a bit difficult since the panel has such a 3-D thing going on. The cuts should be millimetre precise to make it not look half-ass when viewed at an angle, as there are no indentations to the outmost plastic.

- - - Updated - - -

DNiQhn9.jpg

Does this do anything for ya? :lol:

Yeah, it's a bit difficult since the panel has such a 3-D thing going on. The cuts should be millimetre precise to make it not look half-ass when viewed at an angle, as there are no indentations to the outmost plastic.

- - - Updated - - -

DNiQhn9.jpg

Haha this one works! Go for it!

- - - Updated - - -

DNiQhn9.jpg

I think I was just sick in my mouth :p

Get a newet "grill" with the vents on it.
1600px-Honda_Civic_VIII_Facelift_20090401_front.JPG

That looks awesome, didn't know about those!

Public, +rep for the effort :lol:

I'm pretty sure that's the grille all of the ones we got in Australia had. I was wondering why it looked different :p

I have to look into getting one of those grills. If the price is right, I'm definitely changing.

In other news, my friend and I changed all the brake pads and discs during the weekend. The old pads were really worn from the inside, luckily they were changed now. The 140 thousand km service is next month: oil, pollen filter and brake fluid change and possibly the spark plugs. They should be OK until 160 000 km, but the two past services have been done in a small shed, so I'm not certain they've followed the instructions properly or just changed oils.