No 56k: E46 M3 GTR Street Car - Build Thread

m3dragon

Car(s)
CSL M3 / 1M / M3 GTR
Please be aware this is a VERY picture intensive build thread.

(place holder for build sheet link)

The following build thread is the conversion of an E46 M3 into an E46 M3 GTR Street Car. Unlike most ?GTR? conversion, you see people make, this is meant to be as close to factory as possible using parts that are available today. Unfortunately, some parts will have to be aftermarket, as the OE parts are no longer made or were never available.

This build is planned to be completed hopefully within the next two years to be a showcase car for the 2016 event that I am planning for the E46 M3. As with my other build to make a CSL, a fully document process of the change will be posted here along with another in-depth build sheet.

I hope you enjoy the process and I welcome questions and ideas, as my hope is to make this somewhat a community project. By this, I mean ideas are welcome but in the end may not be used due to time, cost, or just too far out there. Those enthusiasts who wish to help / learn in this build process are welcome to come out and help once the build begins.

What is a GTR Street Car?
The E46 M3 GTR street car was made for BMW to compete in the Le Mans Race Series. For a complete history on these cars there is some website that offer limited data. The few image that exist are pictured below. Love or hate looks, this is the plan on what the car will look like once I am done. A note is that some changes will be made as to accommodate parts being used and some customizing to make unique.

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(1).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(2).JPG

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(3).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(4).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(5).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(6).jpg

BMW_M3_GTR_Street_Car_(7).jpg

Due to too many people posting cars that aren't actually theirs, a proof photo as described here is required.

This thread has been locked until a proof photo is supplied to me via private message.

Oops, Adrian reminded me that new members can't PM until they get some posts under their belt. Thread reopened so OP can post a proof picture here instead. But please do it soon. :)

To me it looks like those photos are more sample-photos of what he intends to turn his car into!? :) Mainly because those photos show fairly clearly at least 2 different cars, unless they shipped it from germany to presumably something-arabia :D.

Yeah he wants to document turning his M3 (which there are no pics of yet) into a GTR. I for one am looking forward to this. The E46 M3 GTR is like the Unicorn BMW, even the build numbers vary. Best guess: 10. Realistic guess: 3. According to some sources homologation rules changed and instead of 10 they needed 100, so they abandoned the E46 GTR for ALMS and therefore not homogating it.
One is known to be in the Cellars of BMW in Munich, to be pulled out for shows etc. and never to be sold. Leaves 2, maximum 9 out there, which were never sold it seems...It had a 350hp V8 instead of a R6, was >250.000? back then. Do you want to swap to a V8 too?

Interestingly, the brochures do seem to exist... http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00ABVL660/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah he wants to document turning his M3 (which there are no pics of yet) into a GTR. I for one am looking forward to this.

I'm going to stick my neck out and guess duct tape bodykit. It's the right colour.

To me it looks like those photos are more sample-photos of what he intends to turn his car into!? :) Mainly because those photos show fairly clearly at least 2 different cars, unless they shipped it from germany to presumably something-arabia :D.

Yeah, those photos certainly aren't his but presumably he has a base car of some type currently...