Ownership Verified: My non-appliance 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Glad to see you've been busy on the track :)

Do those SVE Drifts weigh much more (or less) than the stockers?

A little. I'll weigh a 19 with a tire vs an 18 with a tire sometime once I actually get the rubber. I'm sure it'll be a little lighter. These are not by any means a super high quality wheel. If they last me 3-4 years of track use I'll be very happy for the cost.

The 2 piece rotors will significantly help unsprung weight as well, but I'm still having trouble stomaching the cost.

Last edited:
Stop tech has some good shit. They?ve got a warehouse on the south side of Chicago so, parts availability is easy enough.

You need to get some cooling to those brakes man!

I'm sure you've seen this build: http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7806 lot's of good tech in there if you haven't checked it out already.

Oh yeah. I'm not planning on tracking this car for the very long term, so no cage, no BBK, etc. I'm doing 3 inch cooling ducts from the front fascia. Front bumper's actually already off the car. Got new dust shields ordered for the brakes with the proper connections. Going to DIY the rest out of ABS and/or fiberglass.

From the other mustang guys I've talked to, the 4piston Brembos I currently have with good cooling, pads, lines, and rotors will be fine. If I do a brake upgrade it'd be to a real race caliper that supports 24mm thick pads. And that's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Stop tech has some good shit. They?ve got a warehouse on the south side of Chicago so, parts availability is easy enough.

I'm shopping several different vendors for 2pc rotors, but I'm seriously questioning the cost. It approaches 1k. That'll buy me 2 events including consumables. Every upgrade I make right now has to pass this test:
"Is this more valuable than the amount of track time the $ would buy me?"

The 18s + tires are a long term cost savings and cheaper than a new set of 19s... so yea.

The 4 point Scroth Quickfit Pro are a safety item and will allow me to wear a HANS in my stock seats. I consider safety items numero uno so cost there is irrelevant (Plus they're only like $350, and I'm borrowing a buddy's HANS while he doesn't have a racecar).

Brake cooling ducts should make a significant difference for only total cost of around $200, so definitely worth it there.

2pc rotors? At $1k? Ehhhhhh. I can get really nice EBC dimpled and slotted rotors for around $300. I'm waffling hard here.

I'm genuinely a pretty bad driver so the more ass-on-track time I can get the better. I'm not out to build the mustang into a full on racecar. Long term plans a tow vehicle and real racecar. A buddy has an extra Pro-Challenge chassis in his garage that I've been eyeing.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I'm not planning on tracking this car for the very long term, so no cage, no BBK, etc. I'm doing 3 inch cooling ducts from the front fascia. Front bumper's actually already off the car. Got new dust shields ordered for the brakes with the proper connections. Going to DIY the rest out of ABS and/or fiberglass.

From the other mustang guys I've talked to, the 4piston Brembos I currently have with good cooling, pads, lines, and rotors will be fine. If I do a brake upgrade it'd be to a real race caliper that supports 24mm thick pads. And that's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I don't think a BBK is necessary unless you're trying to compete, those cooling ducts will go a long way though.

I don't think a BBK is necessary unless you're trying to compete, those cooling ducts will go a long way though.

Yeah wheel-to-wheel is a long term goal but got lots of driving to do between now and then. I'm hoping the cooling and better rotors (I currently have cheapo napa rotors to replace the OEM ones I warped) will give me enough cooling to get 3-4 100% laps in before I need a cooldown lap. As it is I coast down the straights to reduce braking effort, which I really want to eliminate.

In other news, the trackday company I frequent released their schedule for 2018. Instead of 8 events like in 2017 (of which I did... 6), they're doing 13.

I need a raise.

Last edited:
Tires showed up.
S28kNW5.png

275/35/18 Federal RS-RR on a 18x10 wheel. $580 for four is about the cheapest set of 140-200TW tires available, and these are supposed to be pretty good in the dry.

4 point is backordered, should be here sometime in Jan.

Yes I know a bunch of people with RS-RRs and they're pretty happy, generally and especially for the price. I got the same size you got there in the rear of the M5 and am considering them for the next time I need new rears..

275... jebus...

WDWBen;n3543058 said:
275... jebus...

She's a fat bitch, needs a lot of tire and brake to keep the shiny side up.