No announcement yet.

Detroit Steel: The CraigB/Dr_Grip 1972 Ford Country Sedan adventure thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TechMoan just had a video about playing mp3 via an audio cassette shaped player inside an adapter that plugs into an 8 track. It's a ridiculously funny concept.

Final Gear around the world care package
    discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

Originally posted by IceBone View Post
      TechMoan just had a video about playing mp3 via an audio cassette shaped player inside an adapter that plugs into an 8 track. It's a ridiculously funny concept.
      Spectre just linked me the video But here's how mp3s will be played through the radio in Lucille.
      Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
      (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Bought an original Ford 8-track player and, of course, a Creedence 8-track to go with it!
        Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
        (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Thank God it wasn't The Eagles.

Comment

Ringmeet curse tried to strike thrice, but was averted each time by a combination of the mechanical genius of Dan and my willingness to shell out for overnighting parts. Firstly, some rivets on the brake pads had sheared off, leading to them needing replaced for safety reasons. US Speedshop in Hamburg gladly overnighted a new set. Then, one of the wheel brake cylinders turned out to be too corroded for a rebuild and had to be replaced (as Spectre rightly predicted weeks ago). Again, US Speedshop gladly overnighted the part, but only on the next working day, which was Wednesday.

Thus, Lucille was only to be finished by lunchtime today. When I arrived at Dan's shop, the parts had already arrived and he was busy putting the last few bolts into the brake assembly. After we had lunch and bled the system, it was almost 4pm and I was eager to head off - only to be stopped by a coolant leak suspiciously close to the water pump. After blowdrying the wet block with pressurized air and getting Lucille warmed up again, it turned out that it was "only" the radiator hose leaking, not the water pump that had given in. After waiting half an hour for the coolant to cool down a bit, we removed the hose (with the hose clamp coming off suspiciously easily) just to find it undamaged. Putting it back in and letting Lucille warm up again showed that it indeed was only the hose clamp needing tightening.

At 6pm, I left Dan's shop, which is so far on the eastern outskirts of Berlin that it borders on Poland, towards Dortmund, where I arrived now to meet up with DanRoM for the final leg of my journey to Ringmeet tomorrow morning...
            Last edited by Dr_Grip; August 11th, 2016, 10:53 PM.
            (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

It happened:

Octavia
              Fabia
              Beetle

Comment

OH YES! The fact that you've got all the seats filled is even better!
                1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
                1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Originally posted by narf
                Did I mention it burps and farts like a Roman orgy?
                Originally posted by Redliner
                Wankel is better because BRAP
                Originally posted by prizrak
                The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

"Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
                  -Redliner, ironically

Comment

Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
                    all the seats
                    No, we were just seven people, the Doc wanted some room to steer the car, so the front middle seat was not used.
                    The marshall at the entrance wanted to deny us entry at first because of the people in the boot, but the fact that they had real seats including seatbelts convinced him otherwise.

Dr_Grip can tell you the rest. Also, there will be video, but Ice has to get home first.

Comment

Detroit Steel: The CraigB/Dr_Grip 1972 Ford Country Sedan adventure thread

I wish I could have been there for the response. "But sir, they have seat belts!"

The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

That's amazing, should have removed the hubcaps for weight saving reasons. (and to ensure you don't loose them all on tight corners).

Comment

Oh boy! I hope there's a photo of her on the Karussell!

Comment

This is amazing.
                            My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
                            There is no replacement for displacement.
                            - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
                            ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
                            - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Comment

The good:
                              -There will be plenty of photo and video. Hemily has already found her in one of the "Today on the Nordschleife" YouTube compilations, also this:

and this:

and this:

The bad:
                              -Her brakes, probably due to low-quality new pads in the front, started fading five kilometers into the lap. I thus had to carry her 'round the track afterwards
                              -I also realized that I have no experience whatsoever to her cornering abilities above 100 km/h. And as even the straights on the Nordschleife have corners, I thus could never go full chat

Anyways, a 17:15 Laptime on cooked brakes is nothing to be ashamed of. As are 16 mpg on the drive back to Berlin, by the way.
                              (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

She finally did it!

Sorry the brakes failed. Were the pads still the same from when we bought her?

Comment

You, sir, are an American hero.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigB View Post
                                    Sorry the brakes failed. Were the pads still the same from when we bought her?
                                    Nope, brand-new pads.
                                    (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

It's too bad you don't use the same size rotors as I do. I'd suggest the Centric Stop Tech drilled and slotted rotors. Not a whole lot coming up as far as retaining stock and OEM calipers and whatnot.

Comment

This is my favorite car on all of FinalGear right now
                                        Fuel consumption: https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detai...ht/687230.html
                                        Gallery of the e30 restoration: https://db.tt/hbFq2YSh

www.LPEpower.com
                                        If you want to contribute to the rebuild of the E30, paypal is: nicjasno@gmail.com

Comment

ALL THE BODY ROLL
                                          (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Working...
                                          X