No announcement yet.

Detroit Steel: The CraigB/Dr_Grip 1972 Ford Country Sedan adventure thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the most comfy ringlap I've ever done... Thanks for the experience.

Originally posted by Dr_Grip View Post
    ALL THE BODY ROLL
    Other cars have much worse body roll on pictures at that corner, but then again most all do much higher speeds around the corners so the weight transfer is worse as well.

[edit]
    Case in point - Loose_Units E39: http://www.racetracker.de/event/pict...da84/marke/BMW
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Eye-Q; August 16th, 2016, 5:48 PM.
    Why E10? I'm driving E46...

Comment

Originally posted by Eye-Q View Post
      That was the most comfy ringlap I've ever done... Thanks for the experience.
      I am thinking about actually doing some solo laps next year, should I be able to get on top of the brake problem. Almost easily keeping up with shad's Merc through the twisties on the way back to camp and pushing her up and down the bends on the B-road the night after the ringlap I realized that while she gets mighty twitchy above 100km/h, I just lack the necessary experience to know how far I can push her at that speeds. And I am not willing to find out with a car full of people.
      Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
      (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

How dare you be responsible.

The car will also handle vastly different when that many people are in the car.
        "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

I am thinking about actually doing some solo laps next year, should I be able to get on top of the brake problem. Almost easily keeping up with shad's Merc through the twisties on the way back to camp and pushing her up and down the bends on the B-road the night after the ringlap I realized that while she gets mighty twitchy above 100km/h, I just lack the necessary experience to know how far I can push her at that speeds. And I am not willing to find out with a car full of people.
          She was not built to handle such speeds. Lucille is a cruiser and does this job extremly well, but she was not built for curve carving.

You should maybe consider rebuilding the steering box, to reduce play.
          Fuel consumption: https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detai...ht/687230.html
          Gallery of the e30 restoration: https://db.tt/hbFq2YSh

www.LPEpower.com
          If you want to contribute to the rebuild of the E30, paypal is: nicjasno@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by nicjasno View Post
            You should maybe consider rebuilding the steering box, to reduce play.
            There's next to no play in the steering. There's just zero feedback and increasing-with-speed twitchiness because of the brutal overboost.
            Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
            (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Ah. I heard that you can reduce the servo boost by using different pulleys, so the servo pump turns more slowly.

www.LPEpower.com
              If you want to contribute to the rebuild of the E30, paypal is: nicjasno@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by GRtak View Post
                The car will also handle vastly different when that many people are in the car.
                The difference in total system weight would be negligible.

Comment

It is not just about the increase in weight, the center of gravity also shifts much higher with people in a vehicle. It is one of the reasons that the 15 passenger vans are problematic. The vehicle can easily handle the weight, but not the shift in the center of gravity.
                  "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

Final Gear around the world care package
                    discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

Lucille on the 'Ring is more of a comfort cruise. [emoji1]

Comment

The most relaxing Ring lap... in the world!
                        "Well, that's fine. You waste your money on a Mustang or a Ferrari. The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I'm giving it five stars is because I can't give it 14."
                        --Jeremy Clarkson on the NC MX-5

Comment

And as even the straights on the Nordschleife have corners, I thus could never go full chat
                          ?
                          "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Hahaha, it still doesn't compute how that is almost 2 minutes slower than a fucking Zastava
                            Mercedes W115 to England & Wales | MX5 to Gibraltar | Balkan by Train (and Bus) | Zastava 101 to Nürburgring | Espace to Kurdistan | MX5 around the Baltic Sea

If you want to help the restauration of the finalgear Zastava please donate here!

Comment

Zastava had brakes and much fewer people inside.

www.LPEpower.com

Comment

Zastava had brakes and much fewer people inside.
                                Less engine too though!
                                My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
                                There is no replacement for displacement.
                                - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
                                ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
                                - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Comment

Half a gear more, though.

Final Gear around the world care package
                                  discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

I can see the obvious reasons, I just can't imagine a lap to be even slower...and I wasn't really pushing the Zastava hard, the tyres were made out of wood, lots of traffic, I was so confident to be the slowest ever!
                                    Mercedes W115 to England & Wales | MX5 to Gibraltar | Balkan by Train (and Bus) | Zastava 101 to Nürburgring | Espace to Kurdistan | MX5 around the Baltic Sea

If you want to help the restauration of the finalgear Zastava please donate here!

Comment

I'm writing about this for a certain website that has gone down the terlet. Does anyone have any photos they'd like to let me use? Credited, etc.

Comment

Like these?

https://db.tt/gyu4F6cN

www.LPEpower.com

Comment

Hell yeah, you rock.

Comment

Working...
                                          X