No announcement yet.

'77 Zastava 101 "The Flying Shite"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see your point, let's do it like this!

The stock rims have a groove where the hubcaps cling on to. So I'd need either wider rims, preferably suited for tubeless use, or I'll have to find other rims and other/no hubcaps.
    Mercedes W115 to England & Wales | MX5 to Gibraltar | Balkan by Train (and Bus) | Zastava 101 to Nürburgring | Espace to Kurdistan | MX5 around the Baltic Sea

If you want to help the restauration of the finalgear Zastava please donate here!

Comment

Sleeper Zastava, valve exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by nicjasno View Post
        I'd say:
        - bring the suspension up to snuff (new bushings, shocks, etc...),
        - check the steering rack,
        - fix the exhaust
        - put in the bigger engine with the five speed.

But keep the appearance stock. I wouldn't overdo it on the wheels, maybe 155 tires (some brand name ones that actually are any good). I would not lower the car at all.

Agree 100%.

Also, thanks for letting me drive it.

It was in fact much better than I expected.
        ?
        "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2000 View Post
          Sleeper Zastava, valve exhaust.
          YES!
          Current Cars:
          1994 BMW 850 CiA (232k km). Ronja Røverdatter, custom 5.4 liter V12 autobahnmuncher.
          1992 Donkervoort S8AT (101k km). The mad dutch "Super 7." 300hp/ton of turbo power
          2013 VW Caravelle 4Motion (58k km). A dark wine red 180PS/400Nm 2.0 BiTDI rocketvan
          2007 SMC F-Kart 50. 88cc of street legal go-kart hilarity, and a 1968 Cadillac Coupé DeVille Convertible 472.

<Perc> every daily driver needs a turbo.

Comment

I don't know why, but this is just awesome!

1990 W124 230 E - Everyday mule - better than ever!
            1985 W123 230 TE - Ex-280 TE - now retired to become a 300 TD
            1976 W115 200 D - "From zero to barely moving and back to zero again in 80 days"
            1980 W116 280 S - Classic Sunday car, mostly due to the horrendous fuel consumption
            1979 O309 508 D - 'Blume' Ex-police Bus

Comment

You know you've bought a proper car when the 100kmh/60mph point on the speedo is over halfway 'round.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
                You know you've bought a proper car when the 100kmh/60mph point on the speedo is over halfway 'round.
                So, everything available in the US during the early '80s counts?
                Now with 70% less signature.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
                  Do non-linear speedos count?
                  Octavia
                  Fabia
                  Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                    Do non-linear speedos count?
                    Those must be irritating...

*taps on glass* "the needle's moving so damn slowly all of a sudden"

1990 W124 230 E - Everyday mule - better than ever!
                    1985 W123 230 TE - Ex-280 TE - now retired to become a 300 TD
                    1976 W115 200 D - "From zero to barely moving and back to zero again in 80 days"
                    1980 W116 280 S - Classic Sunday car, mostly due to the horrendous fuel consumption
                    1979 O309 508 D - 'Blume' Ex-police Bus

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckMoritz View Post
                      Those must be irritating...

*taps on glass* "the needle's moving so damn slowly all of a sudden"
                      Not at all. You get the precision to decide between 30 and 40, but aren't bothered too much whether it's 230 or 240.
                      Octavia
                      Fabia
                      Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                        but aren't bothered too much whether it's 230 or 240.
                        Who are you and what have you done to narf? Those two numbers are clearly different! How can you not bother?

Comment

Note the "too much"

230 and 240 still have a tick each, but they're spaced closely together.
                          Last edited by narf; August 21st, 2014, 10:08 PM.
                          Octavia
                          Fabia
                          Beetle

Comment

Oh hello, partsbin climatronic unit!

edit: and trip computer display.

edit edit: and stalks.
                            2014 Opel Insignia Country Tourer Biturbo CDTI 4x4
                            For once I don't have the same car as everyone else.

Comment

No more speedometer talk, thank you!

Here's DaBoom's video of the Zastava going up Timmelsjoch in heavy fog:

And a commercial from back in the day.

Last edited by Beni; August 22nd, 2014, 2:15 PM.
                              Mercedes W115 to England & Wales | MX5 to Gibraltar | Balkan by Train (and Bus) | Zastava 101 to Nürburgring | Espace to Kurdistan | MX5 around the Baltic Sea

If you want to help the restauration of the finalgear Zastava please donate here!

Comment

Cool car, brilliant find! I love that you took it for a ring-lap as well.

Originally posted by Beni View Post
                                The engine is a 1100cc unit, I kept boring people that it (in the Fiat 128, the car the Zastava is based on) was the first cambelt driven overhead camshaft engine in a mass produced car.
                                I think public was the only person actually interested to hear this. He proceeded to bore me with it later.

(yes yes I was mildly interested as well.)
                                Last edited by frankiess; August 22nd, 2014, 3:46 PM.
                                Originally posted by IceBone
                                Don't worry, frankiess is a life coach, he knows these things.
                                Ladies and gentlemen, we are in a little bit of a predicament
                                http://twobitsofluggage.wordpress.com - Stuck in Barcelona for a while

Comment

Comment

I would have given a shit if I was there. I know I've said this before, but maybe next year.
                                    2014 Opel Insignia Country Tourer Biturbo CDTI 4x4
                                    For once I don't have the same car as everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by public View Post

I need to organise a trip to the workshop to help you work on this, Beni
                                      Autobiographical FG Verfied Car List:
                                      '16 F20 M140i
                                      '96 E39 523i... Eggplant Edition
                                      '99 VFR 800 FI
                                      '01 Golf IV 1.4
                                      '90 NA MX-5 1.6
                                      '88 E34 535

Comment

The best thing about that photo is reading in the relevant voices in your head.
                                        WillDAQ: To use the technical terms: "the Mustang is to aerodynamics what horse shit is to fine dining"

Dr Grip: Brilliant!

EyeMWing Because what fun is a silicone dick if you don't try putting it in somebody's backside at least once.

Jay IKEA now ranks up in my awesome list, quite near bacon and blowjobs.

Cowboy I've never gotten so drunk I wanted to rub one out while shoving a fire extinguisher up my ass.

Remind me never to have him round to dinner!

www.mattonmotors.com/ @MattOnMotors

Comment

Originally posted by loose_unit View Post
                                          I need to organise a trip to the workshop to help you work on this, Beni
                                          Do it!

Comment

Working...
                                          X