Ownership Verified: '77 Zastava 101 "The Flying Shite"

Okay, realistically:

Putting in the 85hp X1/9 engine would look the same as it does now (engine should be a bit higher plus I'll check the engine mount positions this weekend), so if I'd be a bit cheeky I just hope the examiner wont notice/care and drive it as it is.

Adding the sporty head and twin double carburettors would be very obvious, getting them legalized would be very tricky to impossible nowadays. I could check the detour of getting it legalized in another EU country where they don't care and then I'd supposedly be able to register it in Germany, but apparently Germany is working on closing that loophole.

Turbo would be pretty impossible to get legalized in any way and so obvious even the normal policeman might notice something is off...I'll look into it. And getting good, unboyraced parts will be hard.

Upgrading brakes should be easy, vented systems from 90s Fiats should fit. Not much more should be changed anyways.

Great, public! :)

I hope to get a chance to work on the car this weekend, but I'm still rearanging the garage to make some space for actual work and for the Swift. So it'll take a while!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll get some shots of the mechanics and stuff this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone has nothing to do in the week from September 14 to 21...I'll have some time off...come by and help! ;)

There are Ryanair flights from Pula and Zadar to Frankfurt/Hahn!

Adding the sporty head and twin double carburettors would be very obvious, getting them legalized would be very tricky to impossible nowadays. I could check the detour of getting it legalized in another EU country where they don't care and then I'd supposedly be able to register it in Germany, but apparently Germany is working on closing that loophole.

Turbo would be pretty impossible to get legalized in any way and so obvious even the normal policeman might notice something is off...I'll look into it. And getting good, unboyraced parts will be hard.

Hi, clueless American here. Can you not just modify your car however you want over there? Or is it a matter of a desire to make it fit into certain regulations in order to avoid paying more taxes, insurance, or something?

Over here you could throw a turboed V8 into it and no one in your local government would care.

Yes 47, great, good! Just give me a ring when you're near and I'll put the kettle on!

Last edited:
Viper: this is germany. Can't have that. There's regulations. "Das ist aber nicht original...."

Viper, it's very strict in Germany and it's getting stricter from what I hear since the current examiners don't all have the knowledge and interest in old cars and don't want to take responsibility.

But basically you have to get all modifications examined except for simple stuff where a general allowance exists (exhausts, lights, some rims, seats and so on). But engine mods are hard to legalize. If you up the power alot you'd have to get a piece of paper from the manufacturer which says that the car can take the additional stress, which is only really possible when larger engines were used in the car. The manufacturer then lists necessary mods (brakes, struts etc.). Other than that you'd have to get it examined in detail, which is very costly.

Legaly sticking a V8 in would be very much impossible.

Another thing are the benefits for old cars (cheaper taxes, insurance and legally driving into larger German cities without catalytic converters), which you would lose with a much more modern engine. The old X1/9 engine might work.

It's all very boring, I know.

Last edited:
Hi, clueless American here. Can you not just modify your car however you want over there? Or is it a matter of a desire to make it fit into certain regulations in order to avoid paying more taxes, insurance, or something?

Over here you could throw a turboed V8 into it and no one in your local government would care.
And we hate you for it. Every modification that changes the way the vehicle behaves on the road needs to be homologated and installing parts that aren't oem certified is nigh on impossible. :(

The only reason I could fit the lowered springs and custom shocks was that certification. And still I had to pay to have the springs homologated.

No. Zere are zis laws undt schtrict man called T?V. Can't do shit.

EDIT: I'd be in for a weekend as well. I can do nothing but hold/grab spanners and laugh at you while spewing useless internet know-how, but it'd be fun!

Last edited:
And we hate you for it. Every modification that changes the way the vehicle behaves on the road needs to be homologated and installing parts that aren't oem certified is nigh on impossible. :(

The only reason I could fit the lowered springs and custom shocks was that certification. And still I had to pay to have the springs homologated.

Wow, that's crazy. I can understand the desire to have safe cars on the road but that's just too extreme. I wish more states did inspections so that rust buckets weren't on the road but what's it matter if I want to supercharge my Viper? It's not making it unsafe if I do.

Thomas, just realized, I'll be there for Sunday the 14th but the next weekend I'll be in Hamburg to pick up the Swift!

So 14th to 18th I'll be in the garage!

Last edited: