Ownership Verified: A new car, sort of by accident

Polkky

Car(s)
Eunos Roadster 1991, Renault Clio 2014
I "accidentally" traded my Honda into this. I?ve been passively looking for a diesel because of my mileage and I?ve also wanted a RWD because winter. I found this from the Interwebs on Friday and because of the low price I wanted to see what?s actually wrong with it.

I went to check it out, walked around the car for 10min, sat in it, eventually test drove it and found nothing wrong. There?s only two small rust lines that are easily taken care of, otherwise it?s perfect inside and out. The engine sounds like it should, no rattles, clonks or other excess noises. It even has folding rear seats! And a sunroof!

I got a deal of basically giving the Honda in and getting this. Sure this is four years older and has 30 000 km more on the clock but I decided to take the risk because it?s way more interesting, has some room for little improvement whenever I feel like working on a car, POWER, diesel and RWD. I didn?t mean to change cars this soon, but never say never?

So, it?s a 2004 BMW 320d, the 150hp version with 180 000km on the clock. It?s got all the bells and whistles: there?s the rear parking sensor, automatic A/C, sunroof, leather sports seats etc. etc.

Here are some photos after 400km in the rain, the first one with a dirty lens:

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

HVXJOyoUC_hGBN4bNcH-jXQAdhCpIVeuiGUjMG8sd5E=w1298-h865-no

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

I have these in the trunk, nothing to use them with..

IMG_4159.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

The only real faults in the paintwork:

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

The leather needs love also:

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

What needs to be done:
-oil change
-removing the intake flaps when the dealer responsibility ends at the latest. They might be removed already, have to check on that.
-new carpets, the old ones are horrible after market ones
-diesel filter change, diff and trans oil change
-some new coding for the lights to work as I like
-wheel alignment
-debadge
-removing the tint from OUTSIDE of the rear window (?!)
-fixing the two small rust bits and giving the light housings a shine
-having a look at the HIFI-system, it?s not too shabby now. I guess proper cables and connectors would go a long way, I?m quite sure the speakers are in order.

It?s got 4 quite good summer tires and 2 OK winter tires. In Honda all the tires were up for a change, so this saves money.

Here?s hoping I didn?t buy a new Lolvo?

Welcome to the club but needs moar wagon.

Last edited:
I have no idea why there's a strip of tinting tape on the outside bottom of the rear window. It's coming off, that's for sure.

It's metallic, yes. The rust fix should be a relatively easy job, I'll do it before winter.

Fixing the rust should be, but matching the metallic paint may be tricky. :think:

That stereo looks so out of place. Can you get an original one?

At the very least there should be better adapter plates available.

Wait. .. What? Good change, I guess? I hope it's a good 'un!

Remember that time when I told you to get an E46 in the first place.. :p

Last edited:
Remember that time when I told you to get an E46 in the first place.. :p

Yep, it's taken all these years, but now it's finally starting to grow on me. In addition to the list on the first post, it also needs new brake fluid and new front brakes. I'm trying to get all the liquids, filters and the wheel alignment sorted out before winter.

The tape on the outside of the window was indeed there to cover something up: an ugly tinting job. (Sorry for potatocam.)

IMG_20140825_164655.jpg

IMG_20140825_165055.jpg

I'll get that sorted if I feel like it some happy day.

I also did some debadging

IMG_20140825_170759.jpg

No photo of the debadged trunk, because it started raining after I finished washing and waxing the glue off.

Thanks, I'll take care of that later on. First on the agenda is taking care of business related to the engine and (front) brakes. I've already got a shopping list ready, just waiting for next month's pay check...:p

...I was too eager to get going with the car, so I got the front brakes, almost all of the filters and some rust repair stuff yesterday. I'm planning on working on it on Saturday.

I made it look better by removing the ugly plate from behind the front license plate. The license plate is dented and worn out, so I'll order a new one soon.

IMG_20140827_184008.jpg

Thanks, I'll take care of that later on. First on the agenda is taking care of business related to the engine and (front) brakes. I've already got a shopping list ready, just waiting for next month's pay check...:p

They'll need a good run in then.. ;)

Oooh, thanks for the tip! Have to get the fluids and alignment done before that also, so I won't have any excuses for crappy lap times.

I spent the weekend working on the car: on Friday I started removing the rust spots from the rear. They're quite OK already with the black rust proof solvent on, but I'll post pictures once I get the color coded paint and clear coat on them next week.

On Saturday I changed the front brake discs, pads and slider pins. They really were up for a change, everything was rusted on! All the screws and bolts needed violence to open and the outer pads were also very stuck. The engine air filter was black and dusty, also needed to be changed. The cabin air filter was OK, but as I already had a new one at hand, I threw it in.

Some before and after shots:

The shocks seemed surprisingly new
IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

And as an added bonus, me and my two childhood friends have fun toys
IMG_4175.JPG