333HP, 6 Cylinder, RWD Kimchi Barge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof Photo Posted 333HP, 6 Cylinder, RWD Kimchi Barge

Here's the BMW's replacement, a '14 Genesis 3.8.

It's full on Suomi-spec: no packages, only option is cargo tray. Being a Genesis though means that this car is hardly stripped. The slew of standard features like leather, heated, power seats (driver's and passenger's), Bluetooth audio, XM radio, auto-dimming mirrors with Homelink, and many other nice little touches like the puddle lights that illuminate when the key is within a couple feet of the door.

I've gone full-on old man, this car is a complete luxo barge-cruise-o-matic.

Color scheme is 'Caspian Black' on 'Cashmere.'

I drove it from Houston to Dallas without even the slightest discomfort, it's silent and cosseting, but more involving to drive than a Lexus. Hardly a lively hot-hatch, but it isn't exactly a sterile bore-mobile either.

Some interior detail shots

A taste of the cost-cutting; the spare is sadly a donut, but used wheels are pretty cheap and I'll probably pick some up (if they fit...)

Standard F-350 comparo

And if one thing is going to go on fire on this car, I made sure it was cheap and easily replaceable

First mods will be tint, de-Hyundaiing the car with Genesis badging, and having my V1 and camera hardwired in.

Proof pic
    Last edited by Der Stig; October 7th, 2014, 5:07 AM.

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
    Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Cars: Lexus GX470 Jaguar XJR

Looks great. The Hyundais seem to be taking over the forum.
    Last edited by LiveToWin; October 7th, 2014, 4:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveToWin View Post
      Looks great. The Hyundais seem to be taking over the forum.
      It's a good line of cars at great prices - and at least in the US, a ludicrously long powertrain warranty which means you don't have to worry about anything going 'clunk' for a long, long time. Were I in the market right now, I'd likely buy a Genesis or Equus myself.

Also: Der Stig has updated his post so you might want to refresh.
      Last edited by Spectre; October 7th, 2014, 5:19 AM.

Comment

As I said before, *drool*

<Ice> Oh, you're the kiddy anime guy.
        "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
        John F. Kennedy

Comment

...and this is when I had to kick a member of the finalgear BMW straight 6 owners club for the first time...
          Why E10? I'm driving E46...

Comment

Originally posted by Eye-Q View Post
            ...and this is when I had to kick a member of the finalgear BMW straight 6 owners club for the first time...
            ...after said BMW had been kicking his wallet for quite a long time before that.
            "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
            -Redliner, ironically

Comment

I'll go with "Meh", until I get a chance to drive it. Then I'll happily tell you the E46 was better

Comment

Since DerStig mentioned debadging, I remembered something. The other day I was walking down the street when I saw a car I had never seen before turn in front of me. It had a Chrysler badge up front, but it didn't look like the 300C, and it was definitely bigger than the 200C. What the hell, I thought. As it moved, I saw the rear and it turned out to be a 2015 Genesis, with someone putting Chrysler badges on it. We may call it carbage, but it certainly fooled me at first. The front definitely looks Chrysler-ish:

Anwyays, Congrats on the new car
                "It's the difference between watching great sex and having good sex." - Labcoatguy on the difference between an automatic and a manual gearbox.

Comment

333HP, 6 Cylinder, RWD Kimchi Barge

You sure it was a Chrysler badge? The 2015 Genesis stock badge looks quite a bit like the Chrysler one, wings and all.

Originally posted by thomas View Post
                  I'll go with "Meh", until I get a chance to drive it. Then I'll happily tell you the E46 was better
                  Maybe, maybe not. DS was telling me that this car made the drive back from Houston as well as the drive through heavy traffic to meet me for dinner (and, obviously, the pictures above) the most relaxing and stress free he's ever had, by an enormous margin. So it may be technically inferior in some ways, but it's a better fit for the purposes he puts a car to and it is certainly better than the "surprise, I'm expensively broken again!" E46.

By the way, when *are* you coming back through? My friends who own that ranch we went shooting at were asking after you last month.
                  Last edited by Spectre; October 7th, 2014, 5:49 PM.

Comment

Might have been, now that I am taking a second look. It looked so much like a Chrysler.
                    "It's the difference between watching great sex and having good sex." - Labcoatguy on the difference between an automatic and a manual gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Eye-Q View Post
                      Originally posted by Labcoatguy View Post
                      ...after said BMW had been kicking his wallet for quite a long time before that.
                      Originally posted by thomas View Post

I'll be back in the club with an E28 in a few years, I'm sure.

Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Comment

that is a nice big ass saloon, congrats
                        http://www.facebook.com/SlightlyInsanePhotography
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/94190206@N04/

DENIMIC JEANS - FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!!
                        http://www.anchorsourcing.com/

Comment

Great choice. If I was in the market for luxobarge, I'd have to decide between this and a Taurus.
                          2014 Mustang GT - Oxford White
                          Track Pack | 301A | Borla S-Type | Lethal O/R/H | MGW Race-Spec | Eibach Prokit | AED Tuned
                          2015 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 AWD - Wife's DD
                          2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited - DD

Comment

Originally posted by JakeRadden View Post
                            Great choice. If I was in the market for luxobarge, I'd have to decide between this and a Taurus.
                            Funny you mention that. I was briefly considering a used '10 SHO

Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Comment

So I've crossed some milestones (now I'm at 1500 miles)

Also, had my first mod done: got the V1 installed and the camera hardwired in.

I've been averaging anywhere from 27-30MPG on my commute, which is better than my E46 was

Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Comment

I had the pleasure of driving this Genesis last night. I have to say, I was rather impressed. Sure, it isn't as much of a drivers car as the E46, but as Der Stig and other motorcyclists will attest, fast-ish cars are kind of pointless when you have a fast bike. The Genesis is an excellent waft-mobile that also happens to drive well.

The sky has been falling for decades.

Comment

I have driven this car... a lot...

Already taken it to the body shop once to repair some parking damage caused by an unknown car. And on Friday my garage door decided to chomp my trunk, leaving some nice scratches on it.

But I still very much enjoy driving and owning it. My main annoyances revolve around the Bluetooth (for some reason, the names in my address book in the car are flipped). Also, the Bluetooth voice command can be daft at times. Most annoyingly, the car won't let me lock the doors the second I get in as it doesn't register the key quickly enough, but I'm a paranoid parrot, so that probably only annoys me.

The car did very well in the snow/ice-pocolypse, better than most idiots with their 2WD open diff trucks, which was hilarious as I overtook them.
                                  Last edited by Der Stig; March 10th, 2015, 4:48 AM.

Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Comment

Why haven't I posted in this thread already? This is a fabulous buy... Great car!
                                    Originally posted by tigger
                                    The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

Comment

I hadn't seen your Kimchibarge either! I'd taken a black interior because I'm a fan of dark caves but it looks like a very comfy place to be! Can I have your engine?
                                      Last edited by AiR; March 10th, 2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks! It has been a great car so far, hence all the miles I've put on it.

Originally posted by AiR View Post
                                        I hadn't seen your Kimchibarge either! I'd taken a black interior because I'm a fan of dark caves but it looks like a very comfy place to be! Can I have your engine?

Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Comment

Working...
                                        X