Ownership Verified: 333HP, 6 Cylinder, RWD Kimchi Barge

Der Stig

is Der Slut
Car(s)
Furrin Crap
Here's the BMW's replacement, a '14 Genesis 3.8.

It's full on Suomi-spec: no packages, only option is cargo tray. Being a Genesis though means that this car is hardly stripped. The slew of standard features like leather, heated, power seats (driver's and passenger's), Bluetooth audio, XM radio, auto-dimming mirrors with Homelink, and many other nice little touches like the puddle lights that illuminate when the key is within a couple feet of the door.

I've gone full-on old man, this car is a complete luxo barge-cruise-o-matic.

Color scheme is 'Caspian Black' on 'Cashmere.'
c0Qn3Eg.jpg

ikyFyWO.jpg

dzj3MiA.jpg

qhoW9SO.jpg

I drove it from Houston to Dallas without even the slightest discomfort, it's silent and cosseting, but more involving to drive than a Lexus. Hardly a lively hot-hatch, but it isn't exactly a sterile bore-mobile either.

tz6jF8l.jpg

Some interior detail shots

GGorqFz.jpg

WgZ4XV9.jpg

oB6rbd5.jpg

A taste of the cost-cutting; the spare is sadly a donut, but used wheels are pretty cheap and I'll probably pick some up (if they fit...)
qgnhtWg.jpg

Standard F-350 comparo :p
yk0495c.jpg

jgtQA4l.jpg

And if one thing is going to go on fire on this car, I made sure it was cheap and easily replaceable :p
G3ip1e6.jpg

First mods will be tint, de-Hyundaiing the car with Genesis badging, and having my V1 and camera hardwired in.

Proof pic
TWc3cjI.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. The Hyundais seem to be taking over the forum.

It's a good line of cars at great prices - and at least in the US, a ludicrously long powertrain warranty which means you don't have to worry about anything going 'clunk' for a long, long time. Were I in the market right now, I'd likely buy a Genesis or Equus myself.

Also: Der Stig has updated his post so you might want to refresh. :D

Last edited:
As I said before, *drool*

...and this is when I had to kick a member of the finalgear BMW straight 6 owners club for the first time... :p

...and this is when I had to kick a member of the finalgear BMW straight 6 owners club for the first time... :p

...after said BMW had been kicking his wallet for quite a long time before that.

Since DerStig mentioned debadging, I remembered something. The other day I was walking down the street when I saw a car I had never seen before turn in front of me. It had a Chrysler badge up front, but it didn't look like the 300C, and it was definitely bigger than the 200C. What the hell, I thought. As it moved, I saw the rear and it turned out to be a 2015 Genesis, with someone putting Chrysler badges on it. We may call it carbage, but it certainly fooled me at first. The front definitely looks Chrysler-ish:

2015_hyundai_genesis-pic-586096682436547566.jpeg

Anwyays, Congrats on the new car :)

333HP, 6 Cylinder, RWD Kimchi Barge

You sure it was a Chrysler badge? The 2015 Genesis stock badge looks quite a bit like the Chrysler one, wings and all.

I'll go with "Meh", until I get a chance to drive it. Then I'll happily tell you the E46 was better ;)

Maybe, maybe not. DS was telling me that this car made the drive back from Houston as well as the drive through heavy traffic to meet me for dinner (and, obviously, the pictures above) the most relaxing and stress free he's ever had, by an enormous margin. So it may be technically inferior in some ways, but it's a better fit for the purposes he puts a car to and it is certainly better than the "surprise, I'm expensively broken again!" E46.

By the way, when *are* you coming back through? My friends who own that ranch we went shooting at were asking after you last month.

Last edited:
Might have been, now that I am taking a second look. It looked so much like a Chrysler.

Great choice. If I was in the market for luxobarge, I'd have to decide between this and a Taurus.

I had the pleasure of driving this Genesis last night. I have to say, I was rather impressed. Sure, it isn't as much of a drivers car as the E46, but as Der Stig and other motorcyclists will attest, fast-ish cars are kind of pointless when you have a fast bike. The Genesis is an excellent waft-mobile that also happens to drive well.

I have driven this car... a lot...

4LlG9Sa.jpg

Already taken it to the body shop once to repair some parking damage caused by an unknown car. And on Friday my garage door decided to chomp my trunk, leaving some nice scratches on it.

I0YJVd8.jpg

But I still very much enjoy driving and owning it. My main annoyances revolve around the Bluetooth (for some reason, the names in my address book in the car are flipped). Also, the Bluetooth voice command can be daft at times. Most annoyingly, the car won't let me lock the doors the second I get in as it doesn't register the key quickly enough, but I'm a paranoid parrot, so that probably only annoys me.

The car did very well in the snow/ice-pocolypse, better than most idiots with their 2WD open diff trucks, which was hilarious as I overtook them.

Last edited:
Why haven't I posted in this thread already? This is a fabulous buy... Great car!

I hadn't seen your Kimchibarge either! I'd taken a black interior because I'm a fan of dark caves but it looks like a very comfy place to be! Can I have your engine? :D

Last edited:
Thanks! It has been a great car so far, hence all the miles I've put on it.

I hadn't seen your Kimchibarge either! I'd taken a black interior because I'm a fan of dark caves but it looks like a very comfy place to be! Can I have your engine? :D

Agreed, but black on black in Texas is a painful combination when it's 35?C + for months at a time. And no, the world's biggest sewing machine engine is mine! :p