Ownership Verified: A Jeep joins the family! Welcome to the Bearokee!

It's a JCR, one of their older designs. I think it's a "Stage 3" with the light hoop option.

So a question came up while I was at a junkyard today. What do I do with the vacuum tank if I get an offroad bumper?

I zip-tied mine to the fender bracket close to where it was, but some people just unhook it and move it to the inside of the engine compartment. It's fine to cut the hoses shorter.

Started making a list of things I need to buy and/or keep in the Jeep for my various escapades. I have very limited experience with this so some input from more seasoned offroaders would be welcome.

1. 8ft' safety whip flag (PO included mount).
2. Tow hook for rear hitch receiver (to be pulled out of mud pits).
3. Tow straps
4. Hi-lift jack (need to check if the bottle jack I got from the PO can deal with the lift)
5. Wrench for front sway bar disconnect links (possibly upgrade to quick disconnects in the future)
7. Gloves
8. Dashcam (duh)

I'm thinking those are the bare essentials, but I may be missing something crucial. I'm not including anything major like a steel front bumper or a winch for now.

Couldn't tell from the photos, but does it have front recovery points? Most 4x4 clubs won't let you attend runs without them. They're easy to install, just make sure you get the factory-style hooks with backing plates that sandwich the uniframe rails.

Last edited:
I zip-tied mine to the fender bracket close to where it was, but some people just unhook it and move it to the inside of the engine compartment. It's fine to cut the hoses shorter.

Whats that red thing?

Couldn't tell from the photos, but does it have front recovery points? Most 4x4 clubs won't let you attend runs without them. They're easy to install, just make sure you get the factory-style hooks with backing plates that sandwich the uniframe rails.

Yeah, I don't think I have tow points on the front unless they're hidden behind the bumper (the PO said he would remove is when he went dune running). One of my local ORV parks doesn't require tow points, but after nearly getting stuck in my ex's XJ, I wouldn't like to venture in without them - though I do have a D-ring shackle in my rear hitch receiver.

Thanks to some tips from /r/CherokeeXJ, I'm now eyeing this bad boy for my birthday, which would solve the tow point dilemma.

Looks like an aftermarket Hella horn.
Yeah, definitely a Hella horn.

Ah. I'm perfectly satisfied with the stock horn, however after junkyarding today with some fellow FGers, I'm toying with the idea of finding some potent Mercedes horns for it.

Confirmed - Hella Supertone horns, stock location and power.

Does your rig still have a rear sway bar? What type of diffs?

Yeah, I don't think I have tow points on the front unless they're hidden behind the bumper (the PO said he would remove is when he went dune running). One of my local ORV parks doesn't require tow points, but after nearly getting stuck in my ex's XJ, I wouldn't like to venture in without them - though I do have a D-ring shackle in my rear hitch receiver.

Thanks to some tips from /r/CherokeeXJ, I'm now eyeing this bad boy for my birthday, which would solve the tow point dilemma.

Yeah I really, really recommend having proper F&R recovery points. Sometimes you get in a spot where only a rear tow point won't do you any good - like when doing water crossings. We had a guy in an XJ that swore he had front points, got stuck 2/3 across a semi-frozen creek... didn't actually have front hooks after all. Was a real pain getting him free without wading into freezing water.

That bumper looks stout and the price is right, although I prefer winch bumpers because... well, winches! :D

Just ordered everything I need to reupholster the headliner in the Jeep.

Going with this material :lol:

tXAy3CQm.jpg

I think I ordered too much.... unless I plan to reupholster a limo.

6yFdSjIl.jpg

I guess everything is going to be getting the bear treatment. From sunvisors to center console :lol:

So this is what I did today...

JPmSWmql.jpg

U2HD7KQl.jpg

0ZEyT05l.jpg

DeFQQDYl.jpg

0JBOH9pl.jpg

XJIMRNAl.jpg

51P0MMgl.jpg

PYhZo2il.jpg

19rGamC.jpg

3vEcL60.jpg

KMeOrtx.jpg

Just got to finish the sunvisors tomorrow, and it'll be all set!

Last edited:
:clap: Bearokee <3

Now give it fuzzy ears.

Haha, so much win! I like how you also did the soundbar to match.

Getting that thing back in was one of the most frustrating experiences ever.

:clap: Bearokee <3

Now give it fuzzy ears.

Haha, I think I'll pass on the ears for now. Maybe for Halloween.

Also, after the first commute, I can report that there were no new squeaks and rattles from any of the trim I had to pull off and put back on. I'm going to call that a success.

Last edited:
I need to do the same thing. Got any of that fabric left over? XD

Also, lucky you with that sound bar. Those are hugely desirable and expensive on the aftermarket.

I need to do the same thing. Got any of that fabric left over? XD

Also, lucky you with that sound bar. Those are hugely desirable and expensive on the aftermarket.

So it seemed a lot when I ordered it and unfolded the material, but thanks to all my screw ups, I actually don't have that much left. I had to redo the visors twice each to get the parting lines just right, and I accidentally cut away too much when I was doing the soundbar so I had to rip off the fabric and redo that too.

And I didn't realize the soundbars were that desirable? Every XJ I looked at had one so I didn't even realize they were optional. Good thing I ruinedmade mine more desirable with the bears if I did want to sell it :lol:

Last edited:
OK, that is properly awesome. Good job, Sir! :lol:

So it seemed a lot when I ordered it and unfolded the material, but thanks to all my screw ups, I actually don't have that much left. I had to redo the visors twice each to get the parting lines just right, and I accidentally cut away too much when I was doing the soundbar so I had to rip off the fabric and redo that too.

And I didn't realize the soundbars were that desirable? Every XJ I looked at had one so I didn't even realize they were optional. Good thing I ruinedmade mine more desirable with the bears if I did want to sell it :lol:

How many yards did you order?