Ownership Verified: Meet Luigi DeVito! That's right, another MX-5! Sorry.

Good thing you tinkered with the silver car, so working on this should feel natural :)

Yep!

Also, look what I found, a video on youtube that seems to have basically the same issue I have that was the TPS. ?40 fix if it is the case!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Looks solid and I need to try the LSD.

But are my MX5s the only ones that run as they should?

I sort of took it into custody but I haven't had the chance to do anything to it yet. It just sits in the garage for now.

I sort of took it into custody but I haven't had the chance to do anything to it yet. It just sits in the garage for now.

Nice! Well, it does need a lot of welding :)

Congratulations.
The LSD in 1.6 is viscous, car is low mileage if it still works as it tends to be open diff at this age. You can check it easilly, 4th gear, 100km/h and check rpms, 4th is straight so rpms tell you diff ration (rpms may vary 300 rpm, so double check it). 1.6 has 4.3:1, 1.8 had 4.1 or 3.9, six speeds have 3.6.
If you are lucky it can have 4.3 but it is super rare in 1.8. Also you can check with google how looks on 1.6 and 1.8 differ.

Last edited:
Congratulations.
The LSD in 1.6 is viscous, car is low mileage if it still works as it tends to be open diff at this age. You can check it easilly, 4th gear, 100km/h and check rpms, 4th is straight so rpms tell you diff ration (rpms may vary 300 rpm, so double check it). 1.6 has 4.3:1, 1.8 had 4.1 or 3.9, six speeds have 3.6.
If you are lucky it can have 4.3 but it is super rare in 1.8. Also you can check with google how looks on 1.6 and 1.8 differ.

Okay, I didn't do the test in 4th gear, but it doesn't feel like a torsen after doing some more driving.

Also, in other news, the ODO is indeed in Miles, not KM, so it's done around 308,000km! It doesn't worry me all that much, I figured any car would need a bit of work to get everything sorted and I chose one that was older but has a really tidy body.

Also, the center console wasn't really fastened in or anything, so I pulled it out to screw it in properly - only to find that almost every clip and screw fastener has been broken... Suck. I will decide what to do with it with girlfriend as she really likes the redness of it.

The Air Filter needs to be replaced, it's nowhere near as bad as Antti's one was, but it is still due for replacement.

All the belts look like they are fairly well due for replacement which was always to be expected.

I took a friend out for a spin and she was giggling like a little school girl, it was quite refreshing! Also when I was flashing people to let them through I was popping up the headlights, and everyone loved it! Such a friendly happy car and I think it's just great!

A spreadsheet of all the crap that I am doing and will do and plan to do and whatnot can be seen here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aLyCthcFKAZayWpn2iB8-pUr4E6DTeDxpMWF7pcYbg8/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
What is that, household dazzle camouflage?

What is what? There's just a big open area between the two white buildings.

Uuuugh, I did it yesterday, I backed into a curb and scratched teh bumper quite badly :(

I am really annoyed about it too. Still, I learned that the MX-5 is quite a lot lower than the E34 or E30 I had here for a bit.

I just lower the top when I know I won't be able to see out properly in tight spots.

This was the parking spot in Helsinki:

KMTL0AM.jpg

With the pole in there I could have easily inflicted some more of the exactly same kind of dents it already has.

It's known in the trade as the Mazda Supertanker.

With regards to backing into it, I knew it was there and I knew how close I was. The issue is, when I was in my E34 or the E30 of Beni's I just backed up until the wheel touched the curb and then drove out - In this it's too low to do that, and I only realised after I hit it :censored:

With regards to backing into it, I knew it was there and I knew how close I was. The issue is, when I was in my E34 or the E30 of Beni's I just backed up until the wheel touched the curb and then drove out - In this it's too low to do that, and I only realised after I hit it :censored:

Yeah, could happen to anybody. Is it much bad?

Yeah, could happen to anybody. Is it much bad?

Scratched a bunch of paint off, but just on the bumper so not really a drama...

So much stuff to do on this car! Will order the air filter as soon as I go and measure it properly as there are few ever-so-slightly different sizes although they should all fit. Looks like it is seeping some oil around the head gasket and there are lots of rattles and rumbles - That's to be expected though, as it's a 308,000km car! I did a massive update to the spreadsheet and added a priorities list. Anything that has green background after the priority is something that I have money and will be ordering soon.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aLyCthcFKAZayWpn2iB8-pUr4E6DTeDxpMWF7pcYbg8/edit?usp=sharing