Ownership Verified: I accidentally the whole Peugeot

Polkky

Car(s)
Eunos Roadster 1991, Renault Clio 2014
After trying to get Public's Polo as a project, I realized I really want a project car. My neighbour has a mint condition 205 and that had me first looking at them. They were, however, stupidly expensive.

This morning I glanced through a Finnish web marketplace looking for a new toy as our trusty nettiauto.com didn't give me any good results. I found this red 106 that was close by, but a little bit on the expensive side for what it had to offer. The ad did however have the words "Make an offer!" on it, so an offer I made.

Fast forward a few hours and I drove home in a 1993 Peugeot 106 XR with the 1.4 75hp engine in it. It has 144 000km on it, and they can be proven to be real. The guy I bought it from has had it since 2008 and kept it as the family daily driver. He himsef works at a M.O.T office, so I trust he isn't fully unaware of car maintenance. So it has some sort of a service history, the bodywork is quite perfect for a car that old and it has been M.O.T'd last February and that's valid until next January.

The minuses: the timing belt needs to be changed ASAP, we'll get to that next weekend with R.A. and the clutch is totally past its due date. The car has been used for driver's teaching and that can be felt on the clutch. I'm asking the gear.fi guys: is anybody able/willing to change my clutch and use me as a helping hand? I'll pay in alcohol? :ninja:

What I plan on doing with it:
-full service and fix the necessities
-lower it just a bit and get proper rubber
-drive it like I stole it

Oh yeah, what did I pay for it, you ask? The whole amount of 250?.

Photo time:

IMG_4459.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

The biggest visible panel damage, on both rear sides:

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

All the buttons work, but most of them don't do anything.

IMG_4469.JPG

Being French means two washer filler caps.

IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

Anybody know why the injector is wet?

IMG_4472.JPG

Look how high it opens :lol:

IMG_4475.JPG

I want my green check mark-pic will follow shortly.

Last edited:
You can see just how well old Peugeots hold their own against rust. Those paint chips, caused by stones flung from the front wheels, have probably been there forever and the car has barely started to brown there.

Suggestions: three-spoke steering wheel, perhaps a cluster change to one with a rev gauge? Plasti-dipped C5 steelies are also a valid idea here, even if the 5-door bodyshell is a little bit further from a Rallye.

How is the throttle response? I didn't quite find Lastsoul's 106 to have the insta-derp throttle that my 205 has, so it would be interesting to sample this. And the injector there is just wet because the thingy above it always seeps oil vapors or something. Mine is identical, and in that respect too.

Cam belt change should be easier on this than the 205 if you plan do the water pump, because the cooling system and bleeding it looks to be different here. The 205 took a good while to air out because the expansion bottle wasn't the highest point. Or I could be completely wrong.

Another member of the Nordic Small Car club :p

how is the 106 compared to a 205? as the 205 has a pretty decent rumor for handling, i'm thinking the 106 is in that club too? seeing ya get rallie versions of it?
and are they heavy? if my imagination isn't fully gone bad, i think the 106 is actually smaller then the 205?

Fit a 206 GTi engine in it.

Yay, we can have red 106 meet!

Posmo: 206 GTi engine isn't a good choice, as it's only about torque. It is a good workhorse, but has no character whatsoever. The one to swap is the 306 GTi6/Xsara VTS engine (XU10J4RS) which has manic top end power delivery, and achieves easy 200+ hp with only regrinding the cams.

Anyway, both of those have the cylinder head wrong way around. 106 shell is designed to have exhaust manifold in front of the engine, so installing larger Peugeot engines causes problems with exhaust manifold and firewall. Also the steering rack is mounted comically high, so that would also interfere with the exhaust manifold.

Anyway, 1.4 100hv engines are common enough and should achieve 130hv with few mods.

Posmo: 206 GTi engine isn't a good choice, as it's only about torque. It is a good workhorse, but has no character whatsoever. The one to swap is the 306 GTi6/Xsara VTS engine (XU10J4RS) which has manic top end power delivery, and achieves easy 200+ hp with only regrinding the cams.

Anyway, both of those have the cylinder head wrong way around. 106 shell is designed to have exhaust manifold in front of the engine, so installing larger Peugeot engines causes problems with exhaust manifold and firewall. Also the steering rack is mounted comically high, so that would also interfere with the exhaust manifold.

Anyway, 1.4 100hv engines are common enough and should achieve 130hv with few mods.

Any engine can be made to have character ;)

Great find & purchase, that is silly-cheap with 8/12ths of an MOT and pretty much a runner as well.

Just needs a few bits done and a buff up.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

You can see just how well old Peugeots hold their own against rust. Those paint chips, caused by stones flung from the front wheels, have probably been there forever and the car has barely started to brown there.

Yep, indeed. I still haven't checked underneath the car properly, but it can't be that bad can it.. Those rear fenders will get sanded and painted soon.

Suggestions: three-spoke steering wheel, perhaps a cluster change to one with a rev gauge? Plasti-dipped C5 steelies are also a valid idea here, even if the 5-door bodyshell is a little bit further from a Rallye.

The steering wheel can be changed, if I'll find a new one cheap. A rev gauge would be nice, but that's not too important now. I do need new wheels and tires before the first trackday and before winter.

How is the throttle response? I didn't quite find Lastsoul's 106 to have the insta-derp throttle that my 205 has, so it would be interesting to sample this. And the injector there is just wet because the thingy above it always seeps oil vapors or something. Mine is identical, and in that respect too.

Cam belt change should be easier on this than the 205 if you plan do the water pump, because the cooling system and bleeding it looks to be different here. The 205 took a good while to air out because the expansion bottle wasn't the highest point. Or I could be completely wrong.

The throttle honestly made me laugh when driving it home. I tried to drive it nicely because of the cam belt and slipping clutch, but on a twisty road section while listening to Van Halen from the 1,5 speakers I just couldn't help but thrash it around a bit. The throttle response when blipping during a downshift is the second quickest I've experienced in things I've owned. The quickest being in one Honda CBR, so that's not too bad. And we'll just see what a proper service does to it :cool:

Another member of the Nordic Small Car club :p

how is the 106 compared to a 205? as the 205 has a pretty decent rumor for handling, i'm thinking the 106 is in that club too? seeing ya get rallie versions of it?
and are they heavy? if my imagination isn't fully gone bad, i think the 106 is actually smaller then the 205?

I don't know about the 205, but this weighs a tad under 850kg if I don't remember totally wrong.

Fit a 206 GTi engine in it.

No engine transplant coming in the near future, my plan is to keep this cheap. This is, however, the third member of my current fleet, only meant for fooling around. I plan to keep it under 1000? before I can first say "it's finished for now", so that's why I'm doing everything but the clutch myself and even for that I'm still looking for a cheap mechanic.

This is awesome :lol:

And do I see fucking heated seats! Luxury!

You see buttons for the heaters. At least on the driver's seat it isn't working.

Brilliant. My wife had one of these as het first car ages ago, it drove brilliantly despote being the lowly 1.0 engine. Also, it is a well known fact that I'm an avid supporter of cheap small French cars :)

Cute!

Proves there's no such thing as "can't afford a car". Also proves that you can (probably) have fun for very little money.

Seated heats on French cars work maybe for the first year of ownership.

Anyway, the underbody should be pretty solid, mine is about rust free. The one thing you should check out is the spare wheel thingamabob as it can have trapped salty slush and dirt underneath it, and it might have caused a bit of rust. If you're sanding and treating stuff, give that a look too.

Also, the car is a bit smaller than the 205 and the driver footwell is a bit more cramped with offset pedals. But it weighs something like 820 kg. 75hp should be good for it. :lol:

that key brings back fond memories.. moms 205 got some trashing around when I got my drivers license and it had similar keys. GZ on the purchase and +1 for the stealies (I know a certain forum member has c5 alu wheels :D )

We lifted the car up to see what's hidden under the skirt. Overall, notbad.png.

The sump is brown.

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

IMG_4487.JPG

The front lower wishbones have just been changed.

IMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4481.JPG

The drive shaft seems to be leaking, but my mechanic friend said that it's just a gasket and it'll be taken care of when I get the clutch changed.

IMG_4486.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG

That's an easy change.

IMG_4483.JPG

The exhaust is holy.

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG

I also bought new motor oil, filters, brake fluid and brownish red anti-corrosion spray for the rear fenders.

E: Oh yeah, I had a quick look around for those C5 wheels everyone's going on about. They seem to be 15" at the smallest, that surely is quite big for a 106 as it's running on 13" 's now..?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I shod mine with 195/45 tires. The only place they rub is the Karussell corner and only when there's people in the back.

The underbody doesn't look bad for something from the capital region. I guess a lot of rust spots can still be caught up with now, and I see a little bit of welding has been done already?

Gratz on the car!
i might have a spare funnyish sticker for you unless someone else wants it.

Seated heats on French cars work maybe for the first year of ownership.

/me goes to see if ds3 seat heaters work....

Yay, all kinds of stickers are welcome! The sillier, the better.