Forum Addict
  • 2006 Acura TL
  • 3.2L V6
  • 258*hp, 233ft-lbs, 7,000rpm
  • 6-speed manual
  • Torsen limited slip diff
  • Brembo brakes
  • Things that modern cars have

*SAE revised their power measurements for 2006 but for manufacturers the adjustment was basically voluntary. Although the 04-06 TLs were mechanically identical, the 04-05 cars were rated at 270hp but for 06 that figure was adjusted down to 258.

More to come...

Last edited:
Interesting find at a MINI dealer! I'm hoping you didn't get rid of the MX-5! I just joined that club!

TL looks great. Enjoy many happy miles.

I don't think modern cars have things like tape decks. :lol:

Anyway, nice unobtrusive car. How's the soundtrack on these?

J32 and a manual! :thumbup:

You've done very good, Sir.

I wish we would get those...

That's what we europeans know as an accord, although the back is different.

I always liked those Accords, personally.

Well scouted, I presume. Not the exact beigemobile everybody drives around there?

But we don't get the nice V6 engines...

Last edited:

They would probably not sell very many. Europeans in general probably aren't looking at Japanese cars if they're shopping for more than four cylinders.

Yeah, true that... still a shame. They're very good engines, the Honda J-series.

You're probably thinking of the Acura TSX, which was sold as an Accord elsewhere. The Acura TL was the next car up the model line, I believe.

Nice purchase Level, especially finding a manual. Should be a good reliable package. /knocks on wood

Nice car but I've developed a deep hatred of your HVAC controls. The right adjustment buttons says "PASSENGER". WHO ELSE WOULD IT BE FOR!? I hate labels catering for morons.

Anyway the rest looks perfectly nice plus-sized Accord. Also manual. They forgot to move the hand brake to the correct side. Also tape deck. :)

Interesting find at a MINI dealer! I'm hoping you didn't get rid of the MX-5! I just joined that club!

TL looks great. Enjoy many happy miles.
Thanks! Definitely didn't get rid of the Miata - I love that little toy.

I don't think modern cars have things like tape decks. :lol:

Anyway, nice unobtrusive car. How's the soundtrack on these?
Listen, this is my first car with anti-lock brakes :lol: After dismissing anything even remotely new or modern as useless gimmicks for so long, I must admit that it really is nice to have a quiet comfy cruiser. The soundtrack has the potential to be phenomenal but it's muffled so I might get an intake.

J32 and a manual! :thumbup:

You've done very good, Sir.

I wish we would get those...
Thanks :) The car has a clutch slave cylinder valve that slows clutch engagement essentially. This makes for easy smooth shifts but the lag is annoying when you're really booting it. Might delete that valve and also get a short throw shifter possibly. It's a good gearbox though.

No no, it's a iPhone charger, didn't you know :p
The last iPhone I had was back in 2011 or so :tease:

You're probably thinking of the Acura TSX, which was sold as an Accord elsewhere. The Acura TL was the next car up the model line, I believe.

Nice purchase Level, especially finding a manual. Should be a good reliable package. /knocks on wood
:nod: The European Accord is the Acura TSX here in the US. The TSX comes with a 2.0L 4-cyl and an open diff, whereas the TL has a 3.2L V6 and an LSD. They look similar from the front:

640px-2006-TL-Front-LeftQ.jpg
2004-acura-tsx-photo-5836-s-429x262.jpg

But different from the back:

2004-acura-tl-photo-3631-s-429x262.jpg
true-sports-sedan-photo-8098-s-429x262.jpg

Well scouted, I presume. Not the exact beigemobile everybody drives around there?
Around here the TL competes with the cars like the Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Cadillac CTS, Lexus IS, and Infiniti G35. There aren't a ton of manual TLs around though.

Nice car but I've developed a deep hatred of your HVAC controls. The right adjustment buttons says "PASSENGER". WHO ELSE WOULD IT BE FOR!? I hate labels catering for morons.

--snip--

Anyway the rest looks perfectly nice plus-sized Accord. Also manual. They forgot to move the hand brake to the correct side. Also tape deck. :)
They have that "passenger" label because not all buttons are for just one side, driver or passenger - some control all sides. As far as the Accord comment - that's exactly what I wanted: my old Accord but with more power and comfort. I'm not disappointed :)

Oh snap! Congratulations man! Is it the AWD or the FWD model? I seem to remember they came in former and manual but can't remember which year.

Oh snap! Congratulations man! Is it the AWD or the FWD model? I seem to remember they came in former and manual but can't remember which year.
The 4th generation TL (09+) had option AWD but not the 3rd generation like mine. FWD it is.

Prizzie right now :p

5591421910_9f4b2f07ea.jpg

When I met up with LeVeL on Friday to see this car, he was parked right behind a TSX, so I had the exact same moment of confusion between it and the TL when walking up to it.

Driving impressions after two days and roughly 200 miles:
  • The car is quick. Not F-A-S-T but certainly quick, especially at highway speeds.
  • Inside, it's very very comfy. Heated leather memory seats, great lumbar support, clear intuitive gauges, and quiet enough to reduce conversations to a whisper at highway speeds.
  • Sounds good but, as I mentioned, could be opened up a bit for some moar vtec noize
  • After just a few on- and off-ramps, the handling is oddly reminiscent of the old Integra GSR, which was one hell of a fun car. Obviously the TL is larger and heavier though but still miles ahead of your average FWD box (e.g. my old FWD cars).
  • The gas mileage is pretty terrible. It has spent ~60% of its time with me on the highway and I've done several redline pulls but I'm averaging 22mpg currently. On premium gas. Not that I really care though - this is why I work :lol:
  • Rear visibility isn't great so parallel parking isn't easy. Then again, I've been driving a shoe for the last five years. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I'll try to get a night-time interior shot at some point but for now:

Last edited:
I've always liked these. Especially with a 6 speed. Very nice choice for a daily.

Prizzie right now :p

5591421910_9f4b2f07ea.jpg

Nah I got over my FWD hate after driving a GTI for a while, for a daily its fine. Tho considering the amount of snow Boston got last winter Lev shoulda been shopping for one of these:
trax_sti_snow_web_gallery1-688x473-0-img1458.jpg