Ownership Verified: i3 for a BMW guy (-07 Benelli TreK)

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
So yeah, more purchases for this fall. Things didn't go exactly as I originally planned.. :mrgreen:

I was actually thinking of doing this years Finalgear roadtrip with a bike, but since I had promised to provide passenger seats I took a car. After some more riding with loaner bikes this summer I decided I want to do the next trip with a bike for a change. So I've been browsing for some bikes I'd like and plans how I would do this trip. Like with the Swift at the time, the original plan was to fly to Germany, UK or something and buy the bike on the spot to save money and effort on getting to the "starting point". And the other thing, I was looking at the 500-650cc dualsport class for cheap and versatile, light bike which would work both on tarmac and gravel.

Well, that plan held well. I might've ended quite far to the touring direction instead of all terrain machine. :p
TreK-1.jpg

The kind of bikes I mentioned earlier would've been the sensible option, but just like this time I usually discard that side of the picking process. 500cc bike would be something that would fit my needs, but what I actually wanted was an inline 3 engine. And unfortunately for my wallet autumn prices brought some examples close enough for me to bankrupt myself... :lol: With that engine configuration and sort of use I was planning the choice was down to older Triumph Tigers or this only Benelli on sale here. I went for a test ride with one Tiger as well, but as soon as I tried the Benelli I knew I couldn't talk myself out of getting it. :D The engine, soundtrack, riding position (if a bit high for my short legs), colour scheme and the look of the thing was just perfect for me.

So, what I've ended up with then? A 1100cc, 125hp high mileage rare Italian tourer, 215kg filled up, they claim. It's pushing 80k km, but has a full service book and basically one owner (from new 'till this spring). Also, that's basically the low power tune of that engine, as the same engine is rated at 137hp on the TNT streetfighter. Still way too much for skills and with engine that size there's torkue everywhere. And it likes to drink a lot. :D Anyway, some more pictures of the thing.

TreK-2.jpg

The lovely pocket knife type key
TreK-6.jpg

Not too much ground clearance for some proper exploring
TreK-3.jpg

And with the included touring gear
TreK-4.jpg

TreK-5.jpg

The "engine bay"
TreK-7.jpg

It's cold enough here for roads to stay wet, even if it isn't raining for days. Not that there's too many dry days. I picked the bike up from 130km away last Friday, in lovely dry-ish 5C weather and I've been too busy for proper test ride, but I've had few hours to get familiar with it. It has normal road tyres on it, but it's still surprisingly easy to handle on gravel. I'll get some dualsport type tyres on it when these run out. Random phone pic from small ride on some nice testing roads nearby.
IMAG1163.jpg

And proof pic
IMAG1164.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, even if I couldn't care less about bikes I'm happy for you. :p Congratulations!

Am I the only one who thought this would be an electric car?

Wow, congrats! I've never even heard of this model, let alone seen one.

Am I the only one who thought this would be an electric car?

I might've tried to do that intentionally.. :think:

Very cool! I never knew they had an 1100 triple upright model. Someone back in college had a Tornado, so I actually have heard of the brand.

Congrats, hope you enjoy it!

Also, please post an exhaust video :mrgreen:

I'll try to get something. At least it isn't raining at the moment, but with wet roads and rather breezy 1,5C, I might refrain from full throttle ride bys..

:thumbup:
Even though I dont get bikes (as in for me to use personally), I always approve motorized vehicles from Italy

I had a love affair (from a distance) with the Benelli TNT, so I fully approve. :thumbsup:

Yeah, TNT would've been great and it was one of more silly options I was looking from German markets. Unfortunately the seating position wasn't really for me, so it would get tiring rather fast. I still love the looks of the TNT though.

Had no idea Benelli still made bikes, much less a pseudo-adventure one. That might be the weirdest choice of a bike anyone could get!

Last edited:
Also, please post an exhaust video :mrgreen:

Well, I failed this pretty badly. The whole video was out of focus and the microphone of my Pentax butchers the sound anyway.. Here's one example though. Nice and raspy for a stock exhaust. :)

It's DX weather here (=some ice and snow), so the bike is in the garage waiting for spring. Plenty of scheduled service is due, so time to start sourcing some parts and ask for offers. Depending on prices I'll either do everything myself or go the safe route and have someone who knows what they are doing deal with it. :p Nearest Benelli dealer is at the west coast, some 500km away. Would be a nice ride to start the spring season.. :cool:

Since I was at the garage pit doing other things.. :D

Also, the battery wasn't dead yet. That's not very Italian...

Nice, congrats :thumbup:

I test drove one in Italy in 2007:

DSC_0416.JPG

Any memory imprints on the feel / how it compared to other bikes?

The other bike I tested on that day was a Bimota DB6 Delirio. The TreK felt heavier and number, but smoother compared to the Delirio, but then the Bimota was very twitchy. We also took a very different route (the Bimota was tested first, going up a very tight, twisty road, and the Benelli was tested coming back down a more open road, with a few fast sweeper).

I should ask my friend who was with me on that day, he has owned a lot more motorcycle than me even though we both started riding at the same time. From memory, is collection include (in order of ownership):
- Suzuki GSX-R750 < 2003
- Honda RC51
- Suzuki GSX-R1000
- Triumph Speed Triple 1050
- Yamaha WR250X
- Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 300

I'd be particularly interested in is opinion of the TreK vs. the Speed Triple.

Last edited:
What kind of trip was that, meet the obscure Italian bikes tour..? :D

I don't have much experience of bikes for comparison either, but it is a great tourer on straighter roads. Initial turn in at least is fast and easy, but from there onwards I don't have enough experience with it yet to comment. Also, I'm so used to leaning forward on bikes that the upright position gave me plenty of issues with body positioning. :p But I had only few days with it, before weather and insurance sillyness made me retire the bike for winter (which despite the claims doesn't seem to be coming).