Ownership Verified: I've jumped the shark(nose)! 1986 BMW 735i

Interestingly, while this is like 25cm longer, it's narrower and 45kg lighter than a 335i (F30)... a 3-series!

It is 382mm longer, 61mm wider, 21mm higher and the taxed weight (dry weight as reported by factory) is 125kg less than the 330d it replaces.

735i from the 80s? Insta-approve.

Also, what a difference one year makes...mine was built in February 1987 :D

735i from the 80s? Insta-approve.

Also, what a difference one year makes...mine was built in February 1987 :D

Well, almost 2 years then, mine was built in April 1985 :)

Also, mine has 4PS 7PS more :tease:

Last edited:
You guys with your compact cars... :p

Nice purchase!

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like an interesting project!

I used to have a small die-cast E23 in brown metallic, it's definitely a fitting color for the planned respray.

A "Siebner" Bavaria-boat. Inspector Derrick approves. :lol:

Not to mention the E21 (literally). :p

Or the Neue Klasse, which technically is sharknose as well... Don't know where I'd put both, since at least E21 has a different crowd than the larger vehicles, although it is mostly overlooked because of all the E30 fanboi fawning, but that's not really a sharknose.

Yeah, the 02 range and e30 have put E21 in a tough spot, but just like rest of the Bracq inspired era, it has its own fan group. :) But on the 7er matter, only one E23 on sale in Finland, for twice the price of yours.. :(

Yeah, the 02 range and e30 have put E21 in a tough spot, but just like rest of the Bracq inspired era, it has its own fan group. :) But on the 7er matter, only one E23 on sale in Finland, for twice the price of yours.. :(

the e21 is really popular from what i've seen, friend of mine had one with a e30 M20B25 engine, it made it pretty quick.
But they got the 02 weakness, so they could be broken by weight, the car literally can bend at the C pillar.

On thread topic.

Great looking e23 ^^
actually see a lot more e24 about than e23 for some reason, two cars i've often mixed up in the past XD

E23 is the car you buy after you got frustrated looking for an affordable, non-rusty E24 635 ;).

True. That is a valid enough reason. My E32 happened because I was looking for E24s and it was in wrong category on mobile.de :D

Congrats on the purchase! I love the wood in the dash and console... so much more honest than what's in my e60.

I'm looking forward to seeing it worked on