I've jumped the shark(nose)! 1986 BMW 735i

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof Photo Posted I've jumped the shark(nose)! 1986 BMW 735i

Well, here it is. Yes Eye-Q, you got it correct. It's a 735i, in E23 guise. Built in April 1985, but it was only registered in October 1986.
    The car has seen better days, three doors are rusty, one of which has a fist-sized hole in it. I will receive a replacement door in the wrong colour for that later this week. The paint is tired, the roof is covered in primer and the sunroof panel is covered in scratches. On the inside, the vinyl dashboard is cracking, the wood's finish has seen better days, only half the windows work and the speedo isn't working. The front suspension feels completely out of alignment. BUT! The underside is good. The engine runs like an M30 should. And I basically got an E23 735i for E38 728i money, so it was never going to be a perfect car.
    My intention is to do a rolling restauration on it. Taking care of important stuff first, like mechanicals and interior. Exterior will come at a later stage, not sure yet what I'm going to do, paint wise. Keep it stock, or perhaps do it in a modern brown metallic.
    Anyhow. Enough talking, photos!

Some of the bad:

But at least it comes with a replacement sunroof panel.

Proof pic:
    1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
    1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
    2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
    2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
    2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
    2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
    Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Is this the first E23 on the forum? About the fucking time!

Congrats again. Seems like this project has potential to keep you busy

Comment

Really interesting! It feels like the E23 has been shadowed by nearly every BMW that came before or after it. The car doesn't look too shabby really, just take it easy and enjoy it!

Comment

I respect the headlight wipers.
        ''They say the first thing to go when you're old is your legs or your eyesight. It isn't true. The first thing to go is parallel parking.''

Comment

Congrats! I've wanted a 745i Turbo, but they're nearly impossible to find in good condition over here.
          Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?

Comment

?
            "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Very good. The front suspension probably needs many new components, like bushings, maybe shocks.. It's a multilink recirculating ball setup after all
              Fuel consumption: https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detai...ht/687230.html
              Gallery of the e30 restoration: https://db.tt/hbFq2YSh

www.LPEpower.com
              If you want to contribute to the rebuild of the E30, paypal is: nicjasno@gmail.com

Comment

Well done, looks like it has potential.

I don't recall the last one I saw in the wild, a rare car now and should be saved!

Comment

You got your work cut out for you! Excited to see how this turns out.

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
                  Ducati Multistrada 1200S
                  Cars: Lexus GX470 Jaguar XJR

Comment

Congrats! Great car, really like that center console.

The Night Rider's Flickr

Comment

I could not express how much I really want one of these. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats! I can't wait to see it!

Current Car List:
                        '04 Citroen Pluriel
                        '77 Zastava 101 (49% share)
                        '16 F20 M140i
                        '90 NA MX-5 1.6
                        Gone:
                        '96 E39 523i... Eggplant Edition
                        '99 VFR 800 FI
                        '01 Golf IV 1.4
                        '88 E34 535

Comment

Ajakaamme.net A Finnish website dedicated to driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Adunaphel View Post

Forget modern air suspension and what have you, this is what gets you comfort.

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
                            "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
                            "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchi View Post
                              Forget modern air suspension and what have you, this is what gets you comfort.
                              Baloon wheels and super seats! !

Current Car List:
                              '04 Citroen Pluriel
                              '77 Zastava 101 (49% share)
                              '16 F20 M140i
                              '90 NA MX-5 1.6
                              Gone:
                              '96 E39 523i... Eggplant Edition
                              '99 VFR 800 FI
                              '01 Golf IV 1.4
                              '88 E34 535

Comment

While bigger cars are not really my thing, E12 and E23 are really high on my want list.. And that is sort of perfect really, as it isn't in good enough condition to pamper and "save" it, which often happens with classics. So you're free to fully enjoy it as a great car that it is.

Also
                                Originally posted by ScarFace88 View Post
                                Congrats! I've wanted a 745i Turbo, but they're nearly impossible to find in good condition over here.
                                Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares the driver.

Comment

[...]Built in April 1985, but it was only registered in October 1986.

beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

Comment

Originally posted by MXM View Post
                                    Is this the first E23 on the forum? About the fucking time!

Congrats again. Seems like this project has potential to keep you busy
                                    I think this is indeed the first FG E23.

Originally posted by public View Post
                                    Really interesting! It feels like the E23 has been shadowed by nearly every BMW that came before or after it. The car doesn't look too shabby really, just take it easy and enjoy it!
                                    Yeah, the E9, E24 and E28 are the most-loved sharknoses, with the E9, E12 and E23 left in the shadow.

Originally posted by Fairlady View Post
                                    I respect the headlight wipers.
                                    RESPECT MAH WIPORZ!

Originally posted by nicjasno View Post
                                    Very good. The front suspension probably needs many new components, like bushings, maybe shocks.. It's a multilink recirculating ball setup after all
                                    Well, it got its MOT in feb, has hardly moved since, but the seller said he changed a tierod. So I have good hope that it is merely the alignment that is out of whack.

Originally posted by Der Stig View Post
                                    You got your work cut out for you! Excited to see how this turns out.
                                    Yeah, I wanted a hobby. Looks like I bought one.

It needs a proper respray anyway. The roof needs doing, it needs at least 2 new doors, one of which I got with the car in a different colour anyway.

Originally posted by DaBoom View Post

While bigger cars are not really my thing, E12 and E23 are really high on my want list.. And that is sort of perfect really, as it isn't in good enough condition to pamper and "save" it, which often happens with classics. So you're free to fully enjoy it as a great car that it is.
                                    It will definitely be enjoyed. The car is in a very sweet spot where it will waft when you take it easy, but still responds nicely when pushed.

I will be putting the car on a lift later this week and then we'll go over it in detail and look at what needs doing. From the looks of it, it needs some welding but not much, it mainly needs a lot of TLC. And a repray.
                                    1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
                                    1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
                                    2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
                                    2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
                                    2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
                                    2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
                                    Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

Very nice! I think a brown will look sharp on it. MINI makes on they call Hot Chocolate; lots of pearls in it.
                                      "Well, that's fine. You waste your money on a Mustang or a Ferrari. The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I'm giving it five stars is because I can't give it 14."
                                      --Jeremy Clarkson on the NC MX-5

Comment

Originally posted by DaBoom View Post
                                        While bigger cars are not really my thing (...)
                                        This prompted me to go on the internet and look up some figures

Interestingly, while this is like 25cm longer, it's narrower and 45kg lighter than a 335i (F30)... a 3-series!

Compared to my 300 SEL: 30cm shorter, 2cm narrower, 50kg lighter. I believe in 1986, the 735i and 300 SEL would have been direct competitors, so it's an interesting comparison. They probably couldn't be more different to drive.

Cool car
                                        Last edited by Jupix; May 29th, 2016, 2:42 PM.
                                        M-B 560 SEC 1989 | M-B 300 SEL 1989

Comment

Working...
                                        X