Ownership Verified: Porsche Cayman GTS 2016

Just as a point of comparison, 65mph in sixth gear translates to 2546rpm in my old Carrera S and 2,662rpm in my GT3. So Porsche seem to take the same approach across the board and it's not a Cayman/Boxster-specific choice. 2994 in Equi's Miata. :)
65 mph translate to 2.100rpm in Lucille. In third. Keeping in mind that without a locking torque converter, we can assume 20% parasitic loss, that's the typical 1600-ish V8 rpm listed above...

Last edited:
New review on the 718 Cayman S for comparison

As said in the random thoughts thread, his sadness about the four pot is the best emotion I've yet seen about the new engines... I can feel him.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the 996 cars are so much less desirable (also because of switch to water cooled engines) they have been hardest bu depreciation and are thus the best bargains for used modern 911.

I took that photo specifically to remind ppl the original 996 shared the same headlamps as the Boxster

Porsche prices - yes, the ones of the 996 - are going crazy here ... not even the "ugly" 996 is preserved of the massive price increase. Bet it won't be nearly as big in the US, as always.

Afaik the Boxster didn't have exactly the same headlights, they were shaped a bit differently by the black plastic behind and you cannot interchange them. #nerd

Just to illustrate how much cars, and Porsches have blown up in size over the years, here is mine parked next to an older 993 and a 930(?)

28124017872_5f168943c8_c.jpg

28124084812_040a5bded6_c.jpg

^ yup, exactly

Fun conversation I had with the owner of the Viper when I filled up gas prior to a canyon drive last weekend

28118363843_f55cc8eb08_c.jpg

me and my buddy's Subaru WRX

28449392260_54c2e1376d_c.jpg

^ yup, exactly

Fun conversation I had with the owner of the Viper when I filled up gas prior to a canyon drive last weekend

28118363843_f55cc8eb08_c.jpg

ohh <3

Attended first track day event at Willow Springs today. Didn't crash. Good times

29168155252_c69cece253_c.jpg

29276514855_e0579f661a_c.jpg

Last edited:
ZOMG. I love it!

It was definitely fun, took about 4-5 laps and an instructor to help get used to the track and learn the racing lines.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

So my 'drop my car off at the dealership and let them babysit it for a couple days and free carwash' has taken a weird turn.

During the process of diagnosing my mystery noise, they went and did an oil change and found engine metal shavings in the oil. The master tech did not like this at all and they are replacing my entire engine under warranty. They put in an order and are expecting it next week. So i problem don't expect to see it for at least another week. No biggie since I don't have plans to use it for a while.

Upside: new engine = neato
Downside: i have to do my breakin procedure AGAIN :mad:
So I finally got the car back, I got to peek in the engine bay while they were working on the car:

29455432540_87635a507d_b.jpg

29455438260_1889c0e64e_b.jpg

I asked them what the total 'out of warranty' cost would have been including all parts and labor hrs:

Engine+misc parts =$19k
Labor = $5k

Ouch..

Anyway Im just going to drive it like normal, their master tech gave me the 'just drive it how you want but don't be a moron and constantly redline it' shrug when I talked about having to do my breakin again.

Glad I squeezed in one track day before this happened, I already canceled my Nov track day plans and may consider pushing back to late winter next year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ufff. I'd be annoyed because your brand new car now has a replacement engine on the record and removing/reinstalling all that trim didn't do it much good either.

Hopefully its all solved now though.

How many km's were on the original engine?

Approx 4000 km <_<

Yes I'm not thrilled to have a replacement engine on the service record either, will only throw a monkey wrench into the selling process down the line.

Also on the bright side over the nearly 3 weeks it was gone I got to drive both a Macan and later a 2017 911 Carrera 2 as dealer loaner cars while it was getting fixed.

29120082894_41946c92cd_b.jpg

29800111435_85c2b1f577_b.jpg

29717525781_c9f912fcd0_b.jpg

Sheesh...any reason for the "metal shavings"? That's not confidence inspiring. :|

Also, I know it's a dick move, but how does the Carrera compare to it?

Sheesh...any reason for the "metal shavings"? That's not confidence inspiring. :|

Also, I know it's a dick move, but how does the Carrera compare to it?
I don't understand why discussing the Carrera would be a dick move :perplexed: of course I subjectively compared the two, I was cross shopping between the 911 & Cayman after all.

To clarify the loaner car was a 2017 Carrera 2 with the new twin turbo 3.0L flat 6, equipped with PASM as the sole performance option. No sport chrono pack, no active sport exhaust. And PDK (of course).

Overall, I drove it for a few days and thrashed it on some local roads like a rental. The 991 series is a really nice car. If I only had room for one car to do it all, daily drive, road trips, Canyon driving, track, stuck in traffic , it would definitely be a 911 equipped with pdk. Would be far better suited to do everything than the Cayman. But since I have 2 cars I far prefer the focused, smaller Cayman. The 991 is a pretty huge car.

Also the 911 kind of passed/failed the 'mom test' depending on how you look at it:

While riding in the Cayman she complained it was too small, too rough, too loud and generally felt unsafe in it. While riding in the 911 she marveled at how comfortable and roomy it was and thought it felt like riding in a 'normal car'.

That's when I was sure I made the right choice.

And before anyone brings up a 991 GT3 or GT3RS those were far out of the price range I was shopping for, so they're largely irrelevant to this discussion.