Ownership Verified: Eunos Roadster 1991

Polkky

Car(s)
Eunos Roadster 1991, Renault Clio 2014
Nope, it's not another Miata or an MX-5. See, it says so on the back of the car! ;)

IMG_5067.JPG

After selling my bike I started looking for another summer toy. It was to be a convertible as I hadn't owned one yet. First I looked through E36's but somehow gradually started looking for something smaller and more fun. Samulis then threw me into the direction of fetching an MX-5 from the UK and that's exactly what I ended up doing. I had already booked tickets for a quick trip to London in the beginning of my summer holiday but now I changed the flight time there to be a few days earlier.

I glanced through the market for a few weeks and contacted at least ten different people about their cars. Most of them didn't answer, some cars were too shady, but this red one was spot on from the start. The guy selling it answered in 10 minutes, showed me more pictures and sent the service history during the first hour after contacting. I told him that I'm coming to the UK next (last) Sunday and his car would be the first for me to check out.

I flew to Gatwick and got my rental Astra (yeah, driving an Astra even on holiday) and started heading North.
IMG-20160529-WA0005.jpeg

My destination was up behind Manchester so an almost five hour drive was waiting. I eventually got to the seller's place and met the man. He ended up being a fantastic elderly gentleman asking if I want coffee before I even got there (that's a big thing for a Finn ;) ). He was a retired RAF pilot playing with two MX-5's and model air planes during his retirement days. We checked the car out on the yard and I crawled around it knocking on the panels. I knew there were a few non-critical, non-visible rust spots and the metal around them was intact. Everything seemed fine, the car worked on the test drive and we even found the right price after almost five seconds of haggling so I bought the thing.

I had to take the rental car 60km away since no place closer was open on a Sunday evening. We agreed that I'd take a train back and he'll bring the car to the station. After this I started my drive home. It was 10 P.M so my drive for the evening consisted of 60ish kilometers to the closest hotel but that was less driving for the coming days.

At the hotel parking lot
20160529_223232.jpg

The following day I took off at 7:45 A.M with Stonehenge as my destination, I've always wanted to go there. It was 300 kilometers to get there which was a really good way to get to know my new car. I even drove top down for a while, although it was way too cold for that :lol: The last 40 kilometers before Stonehenge were some very awesome country roads, I really had a blast there.
IMG-20160530-WA0001.jpeg

20160530_125524.jpg

After Stonehenge I drove to Portsmouth just to see that Mx5parts.co.uk was closed and from there to Dover and the ferry to France. It was 9:30 P.M when I got to France and something like 11 P.M when I got to Bruges where I again took the first hotel available, luckily with a warm garage.
20160530_225214.jpg

The following day, Tuesday, I set off after breakfast at 8:15 A.M. I had thrown ideas around about driving straight to Stockholm, Sweden because the hotel nights were quite boring alone. It would be a 1620km trip and my friends just laughed at me through Whatsapp.
IMG-20160531-WA0001.jpeg

20160531_181028_HDR.jpg

It was sort of a challenge accepted-situation and drive to Stockholm I did. It was quite a drive through the night: it took 21 hours all in all to get from Bruges to Stockholm. As I had changed my ferry booking during the night I drove straight to the harbour and set off to Finland in two hour's time. That evening, yesterday that is, I came home with my new toy after a mere 2600km drive.
20160601_045058.jpg

20160601_053318.jpg

So, the details:
-1.6, 115hp
-180 000km on the clock now
-Working A/C and power steering
-Flawless mohair roof and rear window plastic

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

You'll have to excuse the bottles on the floor. I had to keep myself busy while driving.
IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

It's quite rust free, I've only found a little bubbling paint in two or three places. The suspension arms and all that seem quite intact. The thing it needs the most, has been needing it for the past five years, is a cambelt change. That is five years over due and I'll get to that with R.A. ASAP. Otherwise just basic maintenance, changing bushings etc. and making it my dear toy.

Proof pic
IMG_5075.JPG

Special thanks to samulis for the help!

Holy crap. That looks clean as heck for 180k km! Welcome to the Mazda Nx club!

Noooo, another one! :lol:

Nope, it's not another Miata or an MX-5. See, it says so on the back of the car! ;)

It was sort of a challenge accepted-situation and drive to Stockholm I did. It was quite a drive through the night: it took 21 hours all in all to get from Bruges to Stockholm. As I had changed my ferry booking during the night I drove straight to the harbour and set off to Finland in two hour's time. That evening, yesterday that is, I came home with my new toy after a mere 2600km drive.

Special thanks to samulis for the help!

Proper drive, drinking so much that need to piss all the time to keep you awake.
You'r welcome, glad I could help.

Ps. "Your driving on wrong side"... "No, it is Right side".... *rolleyestohowboringthosejokesbecome*

Last edited:
/me is jealous.

Congrats!

I wonder what car did I suggest to you when you were looking convertible Bimmers... ;)

Anyway, very nice :)

Nice story, nice Maz - Eunos! :D There can never be enough MX-5's.

I like my NB but having more a look at NA's recently I think I might've bought the wrong generation ... I need those pop-ups.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get the camblet changed so I can really start revving it.

Yesterday I bought 120? worth of oils and fluids. The clutch and PS I'll do today, the rest a bit later.

Edit: Oh yeah, a fun fact: my Eunos has the alarm system of a TVR :lol: It says TVR on the fob and everything. The PO's friend works there installing alarms, so he installed one on this also. Now I'm just waiting for it to spontaneously catch fire.

Last edited:
Very impressed with how tidy it looks, people who look after cars as well as that seem to be getting fewer and further between. Nice find. :)

Stock up on wiring harness smoke so you can put it back. I've never come across a situation of mixing Japanese and British wiring though, I wonder if they cancel out so that overall the wiring is just meh. :p

I've changed the power steering, clutch and brake fluids during the past week. The clutch fluid reservoir needs to be washed or renewed later as its bottom is full of black gunk.

I also fixed the dim parking lights with new bulbs and some WD44. The difference is clearly visible and after the fix nobody has flashed their lights at me for driving without headlights :thumbup:

Before:
20160612_114238.jpg

Old bulbs were old.
20160612_114829.jpg

After:
20160612_180545.jpg

I changed the UK-spec headlights to round, more clear Eurospec ones. A nice 10min job.
IMG-20160612-WA0024.jpeg

I also found this little gem from eBay-land...
20160614_142117.jpg

...and experimented with Rubbercomp. I kinda like them black.
IMG-20160613-WA0016.jpeg

Then I started the process of registration inspection. It's such and old car that no COC was needed after all and the emission limit is higher, so my car is now rated "non-low emission" which means all sorts of happy things for the future. The only problem is that they couldn't find any total weight for the car (yeah, it HAS to be the only MX-5 in Finland...), so it failed based on that. It's a Japanese import, so they used Japanese rules when estimating the total weight which then means that it should be a one seater. The Japanese calculate the total mass using 2 x 55kg passengers when in Europe it's 2 x 75kg. I've got a month to show them proof of a higher total mass, a document hopefully available from Mazda Finland and then it can remain a two seater. Yep, only in Finland.

As it had just been inspected in the UK they didn't need to carry out a thorough inspection here. He did find this small hole and recommended me to get it fixed before the next inspection. The previous sill change wasn't carried out as well as I had hoped :rolleyes:
20160614_103908.jpg

E: Oh yeah, I can/have to remove the rear fog light. That'll be fun with the hole in the bumper and all...

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'll just cover it with red tape or something.

You can also probably modify the attachments so that it fits a bit more flush.

Fog light has to be painted etc over, no non working lights are allow'd. Common trick is swap blinkers and daylights places.