La Bella Fuoco [2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof Photo Posted La Bella Fuoco [2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport]

night before my trip (in proper Top Gear style), I signed some paperwork and left with this rip-snorting beast with a fresh oil change and 22,729 miles on it as of June 30th.

First day in Santa Rosa, NM with my buddy's Pikes Peak Multi.

And of course, first casualty, the turn signal mostly falling off

I also observed the first drips of oil here, it worsened on day two quite a bit after caning it through the mountains coming up to Taos, NM. Fortunately, I remedied the issue--the oil filter was about a turn and a half off.

Getting into Colorado via Pagosa Springs. Of course, it'd been raining most of the way up from Taos.

Out near Silverton, CO on day three.

Naturally, something had to happen again on day three. As I was going for third in the twisty mountain trails about 35 miles out of Gunnison, my foot met nothing. I managed to shear or back this bolt off on the shift linkage. So I limped it in second after a failed zip tie repair (most expensive zip ties I've ever bought from some weird dude at Blue Mesa Point) all the way to an Ace Hardware in Gunnison, got my M6 bolt and some blue Loctite to fix that. I got four bolts because fuck you, Murphy

On the return trip, we ended up doing about 50 miles of light off-roading near Raton, NM. It was fun, despite the sketchiness of the Pilot Power 3 up front and Dunlop Roadsmart II out back on non-paved surfaces. The Duc handled this day very well and I was very thankful to have the adjustable rider modes.

And as of this weekend...

Proof:
    Last edited by Der Stig; July 12th, 2016, 2:49 AM.

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Sport
    Cars:Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Jaguar XJR 4.0
    Broken:Ford Bronco 4.9 4x4

Awesome.

Stupid, but awesome
    - Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

Comment

Now at 25,348, oops...nearly 3k in one month on something I'm trying not to daily

The POs never changed any of the brake or clutch fluids, so I finally sorted that. Replaced the nastiness with Motul DOT 5.1. I'll probably do the rear brake soon, but it's a bit of a faff and the brake fluid gets nuked to black because the exhaust heats up the rear swing arm so much. It's already a poorly effective brake, so my will to do it is low.

Old clutch fluid

Ahhh...much better.

Brake fluid...

Now I'm a happy camper.

Added a little doodad, a larger sidestand foot from Touratech as well.

And my uncorked exhaust finally cooked the turn signal (opposite the dangly one ). I'll be ordering a CustomLED unit next month and probably replacing the tires with 90/10 tires so I won't be as nervous about the current 99.9/0.1 tires bursting when I get on some dirt/rockier roads.

Comment

Those two things will get done on my VFR after The Roadtrip as well as another oil change

Current Car List:
        '04 Citroen Pluriel
        '77 Zastava 101 (49% share)
        '16 F20 M140i
        '90 NA MX-5 1.6
        Gone:
        '96 E39 523i... Eggplant Edition
        '99 VFR 800 FI
        '01 Golf IV 1.4
        '88 E34 535

Comment

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to doing the VFR's with the linked brake spaghetti mess.

Comment

Ticked over 27,500 miles and treated the Multi to a new Q3 up front and Roadsmart 2 out back.

Still loving this thing, despite it's foibles (finicky keyless start and left hand control cluster down button works when it wants to). Clutch fluid is already gross again, I probably have to take the actuator rod out and give it a wipe down. Probably come December or January, I'll be taking it to the local dealer to have a Rexxer tune performed to derichen the exhaust and correct the ECU to accommodate the cat delete and Termi pipe. Looking to add an MRA taller screen extension or get a taller windshield as well.
            Last edited by Der Stig; November 10th, 2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Comment

buy. Yeah, welcome to Ducati ownership. The 1198 based motor requires servicing every 15k. There's a reason you see these things for sale with sub-15k and sub-30k miles on them.

They did a great job detailing it though and gave me a free shift boot because they didn't like CrazyJeeper's Acerbis' fuel hose and duct tape one

Before taking off, it of course exhibited two errors in the shop: BBS (suspension adjustment and traction control) and EXVL (exhaust valve). I was crushed, but just wanted my bike back. The BBS error was confusing all the techs there, but it managed to clear itself when I fired the bike up to leave. The exhaust valve error was caused when they were messing with the exhaust, the Mivv mid pipe comes with a spring and metal clip to trick the computer into thinking the exhaust is still there. Some fiddling remedied it and it's been fine since then.

Waiting...

Back home

The new lines and holy crap, those heads are gold? I thought they were gray-ish and black?

I've put about 600 miles on it since I got it back on 5/2. Did a little over 500 miles yesterday with a day ride into Mena, AR by way of Talimena.

Last edited by Der Stig; May 14th, 2017, 4:45 PM.

Comment

Those servicing costs reminds me of someone with a certain Italian motorbike here in Europe

Current Car List:
                  '04 Citroen Pluriel
                  '16 F20 M140i
                  '90 NA MX-5 1.6
                  Gone:
                  '96 E39 523i... Eggplant Edition
                  '99 VFR 800 FI
                  '01 Golf IV 1.4
                  '88 E34 535

Comment

Finally added a taller screen. Went with the Cee Bailey 24" model in light tint. I also picked up a Zumo 660 and Touratech locking mount off ADVrider and will have the mounting bracket soon too.

Comment

Long time, no update. I'm nearly at 36k miles on the Multi and have some amusing updates.

Woke up last Saturday morning at the buttcrack of dawn to do a Three Sisters day ride (791 miles for me) with CrazyJeeper.

Aaaand this is what I was greeted by.

Fortunately, a quick swipe with my Motion Pro Sealmate cleaned a bunch of crap from the fork seal and stopped the leak as far as I can tell.

Probably should have the forks and shock serviced this year.

While at a Whataburger in Kerrville, I made the discovery that an exhaust bolt had protested it's existence

And it chewed up a bit of the swingarm, but it's fine courtesy CJ's expert bodge.

I'm taking the bike to the main dealer next Friday to have heated grips installed (yes, just in time for summer!) and I'm keen to see how "amused" they are.

At the infamous Stripes gas station in Leakey.

Comment

Ducati life!

Current Car List:
                        '04 Citroen Pluriel
                        '16 F20 M140i
                        '90 NA MX-5 1.6
                        Gone: