Ownership Verified: A very red convertible! ... that currently isn't one. My 1992 Mazda MX-5 NA

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 C4

So after acquiring a 2003 NB in early february I thought I finally found the car I've been craving for all these years - turns out I found the right car, but not the right model. After driving a red early 90s NA back in may (one like I just bought), I knew I had to get the car changed. Thus the search for an NA began in early summer this year. In an MX-5 Facebook group someone made me a good offer after what has actually been a sarcastic post about me wanting to sell it, so that happened three weeks ago. This weekend I finally sealed the deal on a 1992 1.6 model.

Even though I grinded for a Mariner Blue one so hard, I just couldn't pass this deal on. It is what can only be described as an offer that appears to be too good to be true - first hand, owned by elderly persons, purchase includes the original hardtop aswell as two extra sets of wheels and tyres. They might be some eight years old, but still feel good for a season or two. They are both 205 15's, and the original Mazda wheels have some twenty year old winter tyres on them. And the car just got a fresh T?V inspection. The advert for the car popped up during my lunch break whereupon I instantly called them and arranged a meeting two weekends ago.

Colour-matching hardtops are great.

Compared to all the other sh1tty examples of NA's I have tried over the last couple of weeks this feels like an absolute treasure. Yes, it may have done 187.000 kilometers, but that only amounts to not even 8.000 kilometers a year. Also, the car apparently was always driven by the wife, which is neat. Talking about sounding to good to be true, but this little 1.6 with 116 hp does definitely feel stronger than some worn-out 1.8 I test drove. I will keep this car for a long, long time. Promised them to put some historical plates on it in 2022. The old 90's Grundig cassette radio needs to go. I can hardly make a radio station work properly. Also, I need to do the short antenna mod. And I need some new speakers, as on the driver's side it won't work anymore and on the passenger side it sounds like it's close to death. They sound gruelsome anyway. Car audio truly has come a long way.

No pics of the top as I can't be arsed to remove the hardtop without a hardtop stand, but I have seen it. It has a little spot on the driver's side where it has been taped and a little hole in the rear screen. Might get a new one for next year. All I can say is - this top, even at 24 years old, looked better than some tops of the other cars that have recently been replaced. Speaks for the previous owners, I guess. I want a tan one.

The brown death incoming?

The engine feels strong and revs freely, the gearbox feels like a bolt action rifle, the car steers directly, the suspension feels tight - just how an MX-5 should be.
The interior is rattling, much more like the NB, it's buzzing everywhere and there is a weird metallic sound I can not pinpoint at exactly 3.000 rpm - just how an MX-5 should be.
I knew the NB was a great car, but as they say, the NA is the better Miata.

The seats did have some ?ber old covers on them which covert some ?ber old stains ... unfortunately. This needs to be adressed. As does the steering wheel, since the leather starts to peel off. I will probably go for a slightly smaller alcantara one from OMP. Because race car. The whole car needs a good polish or two inside and out.

God I love this little car. The internet may have beaten the dead horse too often, but I can truly understand why people say Miata is always the answer. Because it is. I still maintain that the MX-5 is the best cheap FR car one can buy. Especially when taking running costs and modability into mind. This car makes me wonder why people buy communter boxes. I wouldn't even call it uncomfortable on a longer stretch of Autobahn. I still stand to my point (and I truly mean that), that if everyone on this planet would drive an MX-5, there would be no wars. There would only be winding driving roads.

205 R15's feel amazing. So meaty and comfortable, yet so direct. I maintain this is the best size combo on this car.

Sadly the diff is open, but this and many, many other things will get sorted out. I think I'm trying to get it into shape first before starting any serious modding, though. But ?hlins and some polyurethane bushings like I had on the NB might be enough. Until then, I will enjoy this light-weight, communicative and very intuitive car for what it is.

Oh and the car also came with the original Mazda-release-book of the MX-5 aswell with an original dealer-sold 1:18 model car. Oh, and here are some pics of them picking it up brand new at a Mazda dealership in december of 1992!

The dapper note:

By the way, buying another used car that has a low price showed me how much I hate people. Peeps, take care of your car. Don't be an asshole during the process of selling it. The car will thank you, as will the people around it.

Decent! I love the fog lights and the shift knob (if you decide to get rid of the knob, can I have it? Thanks!). Those wheels look very familiar, the lack of rust and dents does not :lol:

Also, nice work with the plates!

Congratulations, looks very neat!

/me is jealous.
Congrats!

May yours work better than mine! :D

Thanks. :)

Decent! I love the fog lights and the shift knob (if you decide to get rid of the knob, can I have it? Thanks!). Those wheels look very familiar, the lack of rust and dents does not :lol:

Also, nice work with the plates!

Not sure if I will get rid of it ... it feels amazing. :D

Congrats, looks good! Any rust problems?

Personally, I'd like to have more contrast on the colour rather than just red everywhere. On mine, I'm going for a red/black theme as much as possible, still wondering if the side mirrors should remain red or go black :think:

There is some rust. But most of it has already been tackled. Quite lucky with that!

I like the red and black style you go for. While I like colour-matched hardtops, I will probably go for some dark grey wheels (Advanti Storm S1) next year, to get some contrast into the car.

Nice :thumbsup: congrats

POP-UP HEADLIGHTS

Let's just all agree that MX-5's are awesome. Because they're always the answer. :)

So I decided to research some more on the foglights. I literally can't find any info on them being an official Mazda accessory, but I'll just go with it. Because they look awesome.

The only thing I've found that comes close is this ...

image.jpg

... which (to me at least) appear to be some pre-facelifted NB foglights put into the NA bumper.

I've never seen ready build 1:18 NA scale model! Awesome. Oh, and congrats for the 1:1 NA too! I really like those foglights, but I've never seen them in any other example.

The 1:18 with the 1:1 is just awesome! Congratulations!

I can dig it. And it looks fantastic inside and out.

But I still think you need a Gen 1 Viper like in your avatar. :p

Ha ha, I wish :p And to be pecky, that's a Gen 2 GTS, this is a Gen 1 Viper. :p But they look equally awesome. Obviously, besides the money it's the availability of cars, of those few GTS's that have been built, only a handful are EU models, and only a very slim margin of these have not been crashed and rebuilt ... if you can find one for sale, that is.

To get on topic again, here is the first mod:

Well, "mod". This just arrived, an original MX-5 car jack. The car came with everything, except for this ...

Looks amazing, congratulations on the purchase. I will be hunting for an MX-5 NA around this time next year, and this is pretty much exactly what I'll be looking for :)