Ownership Verified: I'll have some off - 1990 Land Rover Discovery Bobtail

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
Update: This thread was completely lacking any introduction so here we go. Back in early 2017 Keely was properly broken and a familiar truck showed up on eBay, one that had been built a number of years previous by a friend in a local off road club. I had always watched it at events and admired it, hoping one day to turn Keely into something similar. Well, with things the way they were I wasn't going to miss this opportunity and bought it. Meet (stubby) Bob - my scaffolding-clad, 200Tdi Discovery 1.

DSC_0829_P_S1920.jpg

Bob was featured in Land Rover Owner magazine when it was owned by its builder, a chap called Pete. Here are the pages from the mag:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5

They also made a video.

So, the kit it has and the comparison to Keely. Where to start...
  • Bobtail chop - the most obvious thing and the biggest difference from Keely. This massively improves off road performance by removing the overhang. Less to rust too...
  • Roll cage - stops me caving in the corners and obviously protects from rolling. Since the guy was a fabricator I'm inclined to trust it.
  • Rock sliders - Tied in to the roll cage and incorporating strengthening box section in place of the rust-prone sills. I always wanted these on Keely but the bolt on versions tend to find weak points...
  • Big tyres - Much larger than mine (not sure of the exact size) and with a much more aggressive pattern. They're worn but no more than you would expect and far from causing me any issues with road legality.
  • Electric rear locker - Arguably stronger than the air locker I have in Keely and gives me better access should it need maintenance.
  • Front limited slip - Don't have one, makes it go even better. No intention of replacing with a manual locker yet.
  • Front winch - I don't have any winches on Keely, this one is a Warn 8274 that has been upgraded with a more powerful motor and has thick synthetic rope. This would be expensive all on its own.
  • Rear winch - 2 is better than one, this is the kind of winch I would've bought for Keely. Currently needs a bit of attention. Both winches have wireless remotes.
  • CB radio - OK so I have one but this is very neatly mounted and has a speaker.
  • Hi-lift jack - I don't have one, useful extra.
  • Waffle boards - fibreglass equivalents of sand ladders. I don't have any of these either so another bonus.
  • Front spot lights - Yet another option I didn't have, not critical but they are already fitted and neatly wired in.
  • Rear work light - as above.
  • Snorkel - have one, this is basically the same but easier to ensure it's sealed.
  • 40 litre fuel tank - not as big but big enough and not vulnerable to damage. There is a shut-off tap for safety and it stops anyone driving off with it.
  • Twin battery system - Haven't looked in to this fully but the winches run off a separate battery and unlike the single one in Keely they both work. One is brand new! Nice big isolation switches for the winch power under the bonnet.
  • Under-bonnet LED strips - A bit of a gimmick and as they're mostly dead I can't see how good they can be but handy and cheap to replace.
  • Flashing amber recovery LEDs - this was used in a 4x4 response group for a number of years. Not a whole lot of use to me but flashing lights is flashing lights...
  • Boost gauge - always wanted one.
It also came with a big stack of spare parts, some being quite expensive such as winch motor. The engine has had a new starter motor, alternator and appears to have a new vacuum pump. There's very little that doesn't work but quite a few things need attention, here's my current job list:
  • Wheel bearing to be replaced.
  • Steering damper bracket is broken, replacement should be easy to source.
  • Rear door lock not working right but is fine for now(parts from Keely).
  • Both front door locks sticking (parts from Keely).
  • Drivers window sticks (parts from Keely).
  • Rear wiper broken off (guess what - parts from Keely).
  • Find out what is going on with rear winch (wiring issue).
  • Either get more locking wheel nuts or get rid - nice to have but they throw the wheel balance off.
  • Some security bolts for stuff.
Anyway that's far too much waffle - pictures!

Interior

DSC_9249_P_S1024.jpg

"A slick dash"

DSC_9252_P_S1024.jpg

Closer look at the switches

2017-01-30%2015.42.51_S1024.jpg

Rear differential lock switch. The push button is a 30 amp switch, never seen these strange things before but they work. They're made in Germany and I think they have an internal fuse but I haven't found out how to get to it yet...

2017-01-30%2015.43.02_S1024.jpg

Relays

2017-01-30%2015.43.14_S1024.jpg

Some fuses

2017-01-30%2015.43.19_S1024.jpg

Fuel gauge (seriously, it's a sight tube!)

2017-01-30%2015.43.46_S1024.jpg

Proof pic

2017-01-30 16.51.36_S1024.jpg

Height comparison with Bugsy...

DSC_9254_P_S1024.jpg

I intend to have a lot of fun with this thing. :D

Last edited:
This is now the derpiest vehicle on the forums. Well bought :lol:

Was there not some other way to measure the fuel level?

I expect to see it at Ringmeet. I'll pay for the lap. Shotgun.

If you pay for the transporter too then I might think about it, there's no way I'm driving this thing any further than the coast. :p

Was there not some other way to measure the fuel level?

He could've fitted a sender but this was a simple solution that can't really go wrong or give an inaccurate reading. I'll probably replace the pipe at some point with a new, clear piece. Currently have no real world idea of how far it goes on a tank.

Edit: Oh and it turns out those switches are thermal circuit breakers. They'll automatically trip if the circuit draws too much current.

Last edited:
You are crazy. Approved!

So is this ja Sport Utility Vehicle or what? :lol:

Amazing car, I hope to see it some day!

You're mad, but in the best possible way.

Awesome. Sam and I would love to come and join you on one of your off-roading weekends - hopefully we can fix something up for later this year.

You seem to have lost the back of your Disco, mate.

/me waits for the negrep

So is this ja Sport Utility Vehicle or what? :lol:

Amazing car, I hope to see it some day!

I'd like to think SUV stands for Seriously Unstoppable Vehicle. :D

Awesome. Sam and I would love to come and join you on one of your off-roading weekends - hopefully we can fix something up for later this year.

That would be great, I've scared all my local non-LR friends already so I need new victims. :D

I hope you don't think I ignored your advice in the eBay thread, it just makes more sense than pouring cash into a bottomless pit. :)

You seem to have lost the back of your Disco, mate.

/me waits for the negrep

Parts falling off is a common problem anyway, how can I negrep? :p

Wow, what a cool toy. And it has a goddamn exoskeleton!

Keeping everything together and preventing bodywork from falling off? :p