Unverified Ownership RIP Max and Welcome Maisie - 2003 Mazda MX-5 Indiana Limited Edition

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Life has been changing quite a bit over the last year, but not only am I settled (finally!) in a great new job last year I met an amazing lady who is incredibly good for me.

With all the ups and downs over the last few years the MX5 aka Max (named for Max Moseley because he was grey and like to be thrashed occasionally!) hasn't been cared for as much as I would have wanted to afford and there was more work required to get him back to his best than was economically sensible so in the next few days he will head off to the great racetrack in the sky...

At the same time HWF 3.0 has been pootling about in a 2001 8v VW Beetle in that horridious green colour and it was perfectly clear that it wasn't going to get through its next MOT without spending three times its value on fixes.

And since she is a fan of retro stuff but doesn't want the expense of an old classic and the headaches that entails I proposed a compromise. And of course the best time to buy a convertible is in the depths of winter so tomorrow we will be catching a train to Manchester to pick up her new car. Since her old car was Daisy and my MX5 was Max, ladies and germs of FinalGear, please welcome to the fold, Maisie.

She is a 2003 Indiana 1.8i Limited Edition with a full history and only 63k documented and verified miles. Proof pic will, of course, follow after collection. Best part is we got her for about ?1000 under book price for that age and mileage, so technically we could wait a few months and turn a quick profit but I rather suspect, like HWF 3.0 herself, this one's a keeper! :D

That's a lovely colour combo, I'd totally rock a NB like that. Wooden steering wheel :wub:

Awesome find! Enjoy her as much as possible, you two :)

Reactions: MWF
Yes. Garnet red, a 2003 only colour. Yes. Yes!

Reactions: MWF
Can you scrap the old car without any seats? This means, can you stow away the brown leather jobs and sell them at Ringmeet?

Possibly but they are a sod to undo and transporting them in an Ibiza via the Verdun Gorge would be a pain in the arse. Matt2000 isn't Discoing his way there this year either and shipping them to .fi would probably be prohibitively expensive.

I've offered the car as it sits free of charge to Andeh if he wants to come and collect it. If he doesn't and I can get the seats out and you are willing to give me at least the scrap value plus what the scrapper will doubtless charge to collect an incomplete car plus shipping then sure. If I can get the matching Nardi Torino wheel off as well I will chuck that in for free.

How much is the scrap value? Mine is certainly up for refurbishing and as is publicly (kek) known, I like brown especially in leather form. I mean, the specific special edition stuff in the car is certainly worth parting out ? a savvy enthusiast would put in some everyday tombstone seats when the car is disposed of.

Scrap value is ?40-50 currently. If Andeh doesn't go for it then I will let you know via PM.

Nice. :)

I'm wondering about the handbrake being on the left side, though. I always thought MX-5s had it on the right because the car comes from an RHD country.

Scrap value is ?40-50 currently. If Andeh doesn't go for it then I will let you know via PM.

As the LS400 was driven to Finland last weekend, man, this thing could have come along ? unless of course the MOT had expired ages ago...

Love the maroon and the wood trimmed wheel. Congrats for Maisie. She's a beaut.

Beautiful color, congrats!

Is Andeh our resident used car lot owner? :lol:

I mean, how many cars does he have now?

I don't think so anymore....

Collecting Fords must be an addiction. Craig, luokyio, Andeh .. all fallen into that.

Mhmm... I have a colleague who drives a Renault Zoe in basically this colour, and I don't like it one bit. Simply not a fan... but I will admit, it works better on the MX5 than on many many other cars. In any case: congrats on the new ride, hope you enjoy it :)

Gorgeous! Love that Nardi steering wheel, too.