Ownership Verified: Her Majesty's Canadian Ship - the SRT 392 Challenger

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
People think because of the Porsche and my career I'm a badge snob. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I just love cars, and have for a very long time. I'm lucky enough to now indulge in some of those dreams, right when the auto industry is at a turning point. Internal combustion is looked at tantamount to Murder One. Despite the faulty science (on many fronts), the transition to all electric vehicles as a means of preserving the Earth is a fait-accompli.

Society demands we continue to "progress" towards 24/7 connectedness, despite the clear correlation to an increase in distractedness. Society likes to invent solutions to problems it creates: witness the birth of autonomous vehicles.

I bought the Porsche earlier because I knew it was my last chance to snag a tailor-made, mid-engined exotic flat six, and about a year later my paranoia was proven right: witness the 718 Porschebaru.

Having ticked all the above boxes just in the nick of time, I turned my attention to an even more primal love. A good ol' American V8 muscle car that screams eff you to all the latte-drinking, goatee-sporting hipster doofuses out there.

Corvettes are my first love, but they're costly and we already have a two seater sports car. Like it or not, my next car needed to be a proper daily, so (vestigial) back seats and relatively easy ingress/egress were a must.

I found the Camaro lacking on too many fronts. The GT350 overpriced and underwhelming. Plus, I'd have to rev the nuts off it like the Boxster, so I'd just likely get it impounded too. :mrgreen: The "regular" GT is a near perfect fit, but the back seats are tiny, and the car itself is just lacking.... something.

In my long essay last year, I never mentioned Dodge's offerings, because my wife had all but taken an axe to those dreams on account of how much she hated it. But, it's no secret that I have loved the Challenger for a long time. The old interior guaranteed I would never take it seriously, but the 2015 refresh looked about perfect inside and out. I was impatient and I had a feeling the refreshed interior wouldn't look/feel as good in person as it did in photos, so I leased a BMW 2-series.

The only thing I did right in that last sentence was lease, because I could give it back... and earlier than expected, thanks to an eager beaver on lease traders' web site. The Bimmer was a sublime daily, with smooth handling, but no steering feedback; perfect seats, before they flaked apart (at six months); and a wonderfully smooth and sonorous boosted straight six... whose noise was fully generated by a sound file played through a speaker beneath the driver's seat. Meanwhile, I drove a Challenger Scat Pack with a stick, and came away smitten. I even wrote on these forums that I had "bought the wrong car."

My wife, famously frugal and great at keeping her car-lusty husband from doing something stupid every other month, was willing to let me purchase a costlier GT350 (in fairness, or cheaper GT) if it meant avoiding the Dodge. I'd managed to purge it from my mind for almost a year, even though I would often see them driving around.

It took witnessing a pre-refresh black SRT8 model on the streets of downtown Tokyo of all places for the fire to be lit anew. My home away from home. The centre of all things brilliantly packaged, efficient, and cool. And here it was, a fat western-sized thumb in the well manicured eastern eye, driven by a wealthy Japanese businessman. So out of place, and yet so perfectly in its element all the same.

Fuck it. After that, it was game over. I won my wife over on the following items: practicality (this is a proper 4 seat coupe, and the trunk could swallow at least 3 dead hookers), price (relatively speaking, I admit I rigged that in my favour), a colour that wouldn't clash with the house (hardly a compromise, I would choose this colour over any other Dodge offered throughout this car's now decade long run), and the fact that if she wanted a minivan for her daily, I would get whatever my bringing-home-the-bacon ass would damn well want.

Okay, that last one was uttered only in my head, but "urrrgh"/<gutteral yell> all the same!

The truth is inconvenient. Who the hell cares? I was getting not just my daily driver/people mover/grocery getter, I was ticking the boxes for V8 muscle car and grand tourer.

Dis gon' be good.

Pictures (and proof) on next post.

Last edited:
Now I understand why you didn't want to drive the Hellcat. :)

Color me real jelly.

That is an awesome choice for the use that you want from your car.

It's made in Brampton, Ontario.

3z9Ioq6.jpg

It weighs 4200 lbs.

mKk3JiJ.jpg

It has all the performance and creature comforts of the Hellcat, just minus the batshit forged 6.2L engine with supercharger. It makes do with the lesser (but bigger) 6.4L Hemi V8 sporting 485 hp and 475 lb ft.

YhvaGUw.jpg

It holds 4 adults in comfort. Possibly 2 adults for long trips, and the other 2 for shorter duration.

jOs0GlE.jpg

Its manufacturer, hemorrhaging money, one of the last holdouts against offering only dull monochromatic colours. It comes in Yellowjacket, Green Go, and Go Mango. It previously came in Plum Crazy, Sublime, and Furious Fuschia.

But nothing, nothing looks like you can swim in it quite like Octane Red Metallic. The only thing bad about it is its name. Octane as an adjective doesn't even come close to capturing the bright metallic flake when this car is exposed to sunlight, nor does it quite accurately describe the rich maroon texture when it's overcast.

fg4KTme.jpg

otRnlCc.jpg

The paint code is PRV which, when used for more mundane Chrysler products such as the 200 or the Pacifica, is called Velvet Red Metallic. It's a much more fitting name for this car, and there where this particular model, MY car, gets its well deserved nickname.

jsTtBjl.jpg

It's a battleship amongst dinghies. It has the aerodynamics of a brick, but the interior occupants are coccooned in deeply bolstered Laguna Leather.

It has what is widely considered the best infotainment system in the industry, not just in its class. It has an 18 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo with two subwoofers nestled deep in what is still a cavernous boot space.

The dash is a large swath of well textured, soft material, with plenty of contrast stitching on the leather seats, arm rests, and centre console.

The clutch has the right amount of effort, with an easily felt point of engagement. The cueball shifter falls to hand easily and while not Honda snick-snick, has the right amount of effort and feel befitting a car with this level of torque.

The noise in any gear when above 2000 rpm is ever present, massaging the body and the soul.

The SRT has three mode adjustable dampers, the street mode perfect for long distance cruising, sport and track better suited to attempting to navigate this destroyer through narrow moving arteries.

It is the inverse of what Cowboy previously described for the Aston Martin motor company: this car is brutal, but with a touch of class. It even comes available in a shade called Destroyer Gray.

euRYe2k.jpg

wLYzfcF.jpg

I0HffUB.jpg

ZWWKVad.jpg

lUxi6lg.jpg

It's a velvet lined, spiked leather glove. Welcome then, to the HMCS Velvet Glove. Long may she patrol these seas, giving its occupants both comfort and thrills in equal doses, erstwhile putting the fright into the false prophets of Gaia-saving mobiles that only a large displacement, pushrod powered behemoth can provide.

nM361ls.jpg

G5XLPAY.jpg

4spDa1y.jpg

QbeGeNo.jpg

Like I said, dis gon' be good.

Last edited:
That looks really good. Even if I don't normally like red cars, I have to admit that I like the color of your car.

The interior also looks really good in that color and it fits the exterior of the car.

I don't really have to say this do I? Approved! Big time!

Keep the rubber bits at the bottom and the treehuggers crying.

[muttering] Please be a manual...please be a manual...please be a manual...[/muttering]

:thumbsup:

I feel the same about Dodge: keep making cars in interesting colors! Enough with the 7 shades of silver and 13 shades of grey!

I would probably choose something much more obnoxious, like Purple or Green or Yellow, but this red is classy.? Good choice.

That maroon is tremendous. Suits the car well.

Nice! Now get yourself some yellow splitter protectors so you can hang out with all the cool Mopar kids.

Seriously though, awesome boat! Don't see too many manual 392s.

People think because of the Porsche and my career I'm a badge snob. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I just love cars, and have for a very long time. I'm lucky enough to now indulge in some of those dreams, right when the auto industry is at a turning point. Internal combustion is looked at tantamount to Murder One. Despite the faulty science (on many fronts), the transition to all electric vehicles as a means of preserving the Earth is a fait-accompli.

Society demands we continue to "progress" towards 24/7 connectedness, despite the clear correlation to an increase in distractedness. Society likes to invent solutions to problems it creates: witness the birth of autonomous vehicles.

I like your writing style. May it serve you very well! Fantastic colour combo.

Her Majesty's Canadian Ship - the SRT 392 Challenger

Gorgeous, always loved the road presence these things have. Also the rear seats are plenty for even rear facing infant carriers ;)
There are a bunch of them running around NYC, they seem to deal with shit roads much better than my pony.

P.S. See I told you you need a cruiser since you already have a focused sports car :D

Last edited:

I bought the Porsche earlier because I knew it was my last chance to snag a tailor-made, mid-engined exotic flat six, and about a year later my paranoia was proven right: witness the 718 Porschebaru.

Having ticked all the above boxes just in the nick of time, I turned my attention to an even more primal love. A good ol' American V8 muscle car that screams eff you to all the latte-drinking, goatee-sporting hipster doofuses out there.

Corvettes are my first love, but they're costly and we already have a two seater sports car. Like it or not, my next car needed to be a proper daily, so (vestigial) back seats and relatively easy ingress/egress were a must.

I found the Camaro lacking on too many fronts. The GT350 overpriced and underwhelming. Plus, I'd have to rev the nuts off it like the Boxster, so I'd just likely get it impounded too. :mrgreen: The "regular" GT is a near perfect fit, but the back seats are tiny, and the car itself is just lacking.... something.

In my long essay last year, I never mentioned Dodge's offerings, because my wife had all but taken an axe to those dreams on account of how much she hated it. But, it's no secret that I have loved the Challenger for a long time. The old interior guaranteed I would never take it seriously, but the 2015 refresh looked about perfect inside and out. I was impatient and I had a feeling the refreshed interior wouldn't look/feel as good in person as it did in photos, so I leased a BMW 2-series.

The only thing I did right in that last sentence was lease, because I could give it back... and earlier than expected, thanks to an eager beaver on lease traders' web site. The Bimmer was a sublime daily, with smooth handling, but no steering feedback; perfect seats, before they flaked apart (at six months); and a wonderfully smooth and sonorous boosted straight six... whose noise was fully generated by a sound file played through a speaker beneath the driver's seat. Meanwhile, I drove a Challenger Scat Pack with a stick, and came away smitten. I even wrote on these forums that I had "bought the wrong car."

My wife, famously frugal and great at keeping her car-lusty husband from doing something stupid every other month, was willing to let me purchase a costlier GT350 (in fairness, or cheaper GT) if it meant avoiding the Dodge. I'd managed to purge it from my mind for almost a year, even though I would often see them driving around.

It took witnessing a pre-refresh black SRT8 model on the streets of downtown Tokyo of all places for the fire to be lit anew. My home away from home. The centre of all things brilliantly packaged, efficient, and cool. And here it was, a fat western-sized thumb in the well manicured eastern eye, driven by a wealthy Japanese businessman. So out of place, and yet so perfectly in its element all the same.

Fuck it. After that, it was game over. I won my wife over on the following items: practicality (this is a proper 4 seat coupe, and the trunk could swallow at least 3 dead hookers), price (relatively speaking, I admit I rigged that in my favour), a colour that wouldn't clash with the house (hardly a compromise, I would choose this colour over any other Dodge offered throughout this car's now decade long run), and the fact that if she wanted a minivan for her daily, I would get whatever my bringing-home-the-bacon ass would damn well want.

Okay, that last one was uttered only in my head, but "urrrgh"/<gutteral yell> all the same!

The truth is inconvenient. Who the hell cares? I was getting not just my daily driver/people mover/grocery getter, I was ticking the boxes for V8 muscle car and grand tourer.

Dis gon' be good.

Pictures (and proof) on next post.

I love you.

Your wife will find out the joys of owning a proper Dodge that literally has ZERO Mercedes and Fiat bits in it. Its way more refined than all the internet hate will like you to believe and even though it is heavy (as is my Charger) it is still fast as shit. The Daytona/Scat Pack was a bit out of my price range but I know it'll be my next one so in the meantime I'm loving the "baby" HEMI V8 I've got in my Charger. Super jealous you got that color too, I love it. Now lets go burn some fuel together in celebration of the glorious V8! Let those hybrids save the fuel SO WE CAN BURN IT!
:burnrubber:

We gather here today to support our friend who has fallen victim to Moparian fever. While he is in it's devious clutches, he will be completely devoured by lust for everything Mopar. He will drink deeply from the burgundy eye candy for years. Do not try and turn him away by force, this will only drive him deeper into his sickness, and farther away from a chance to be rescued. At this point, we can only hope for a cure.

:p

Nice car, I is jelly.

Sweet! Love the 392 cars. They run really well at the track too. :D

Was going to argue that, but then remembered that the kind of track you're talking about has no corners :lol:

Corners? We don't need no stinking corners!

We gather here today to support our friend who has fallen victim to Moparian fever. While he is in it's devious clutches, he will be completely devoured by lust for everything Mopar. He will drink deeply from the burgundy eye candy for years. Do not try and turn him away by force, this will only drive him deeper into his sickness, and farther away from a chance to be rescued. At this point, we can only hope for a cure.

:p

Nice car, I is jelly.

This Moparian Fever is real. Didn't really catch that fever much with my previous 2014 Charger 3.6 V6 but I am full force ahead with my R/T. The noise helps...like...a lot. And I do mean a lot. ;)

Was going to argue that, but then remembered that the kind of track you're talking about has no corners :lol:

Actually it isn't as bad as you think around corners. No, it isn't a Corvette, but it isn't a slouch either. The 392 I drove was quite competent around the bends in track mode. Though painfully so with my bad back. LOL

Wow. I'm shocked, Jim in an FCA vehicle. :evil: I love the color. I was never quite a fan of the Challenger at first but it has really grown on me. I think you hit the nail on the head on options. That interior is beautiful too.

Your wife will find out the joys of owning a proper Dodge that literally has ZERO Mercedes and Fiat bits in it.

lol, that is extremely wishful thinking.

lol, that is extremely wishful thinking.

Actually it is true. Starting with the 2015 model year Dodge/Chrysler has no more Mercedes bits in the Charger/Challenger and to my knowledge no Fiat bits either. I've love to have someone provide factual data to back up or disprove my statement on the Fiat bits as I'm genuinely curious. :)