Keep it in the Family -- 1995 Jaguar XJR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof Photo Posted Keep it in the Family -- 1995 Jaguar XJR

So as some of you know from my post in RTAE and from other nebulous hints, LCG's XJR has new custodians

CrazyJeeper and I bought the thing late last month. I've made many noises about wanting to buy this unique and special car for some time and am happy that the opportunity came up. So, I flew up to Boston to see it for myself and do the paperwork.

The shipping company dropped it off yesterday and I've been driving it around for some 100 odd miles so far. It's a really great car; I now understand the "grace and pace" motto. Even though the auto isn't dog slow, the manual gearbox totally wakes this thing up. The Jekyll and Hyde personality is definitely amplified by rowing your own--it's just as happy serenely wafting along as it is being chucked into corners and given the beans. Despite having over 190k miles on the clock, the structure of the car is still solid, as is the drivetrain. It's due for some some small maintenance items, but the niggles that are there are fixable and aren't enough to distract me from the banshee whine of the Eaton M90.

I've recorded 11.3 MPG so far

Of course, having the resident Jag whisperer around makes things much easier and we've already accrued some parts of the local junkyards. The only immediate work on the agenda is some exhaust work to make the thing pass the emissions inspection, but we'll get that sorted. Only one more year before that's no longer relevant for the car anyway.

Pics:

The Beauty and the Mullet

A destroyer and an aircraft carrier

Proof pic:
    Last edited by Der Stig; November 8th, 2017, 2:41 AM.

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Sport
    Cars:Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Jaguar XJR 4.0
    Broken:Ford Bronco 4.9 4x4

Awesome! I'll have to get back to Dallas and go for a ride!

Comment

Awesome!

"Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
      2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

The Jag's in great hands.
        "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
        -Redliner, ironically

Comment

I do now believe you!

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
          "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
          "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

Ownership verfied! Well done!
            Autobiographical FG Verfied Car List:
            '16 F20 M140i
            '96 E39 523i... Eggplant Edition
            '99 VFR 800 FI
            '01 Golf IV 1.4
            '90 NA MX-5 1.6
            '88 E34 535

Comment

Originally posted by Der Stig View Post

The Beauty and the Mullet

That's an odd pairing. Awesome.
              ?
              "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

I've got the car for a couple of days. I can definitely see why people love these things, the combination of performance and comfort is very addicting. Best feature though is that the traction control off light is green.

The sky has been falling for decades.

Comment

Doesn't LCG need to turn in those MA plates? Or is that only if the car stays in MA?

Comment

MA law does not apply here.

Comment

Dibs on the MA plates ..

Want to support the FinalGear Ringmeet? Feel free to donate! We'll make sure to put it to good use. Or buy more booze.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                        MA law does not apply here.
                        No shit. It applies to LCG if he has to turn in those plates...

Comment

Technically they need to be recycled after I canceled the registration, but you guys can do whatever with them, short of robbing banks.
                          "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
                          -Redliner, ironically

Comment

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
                            2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
                            2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
                            1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
                            1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

Who would get rid of old plates?

Comment

Only plates I'd keep are ones that are different. Like other states. Keeping your home state and more than one doesn't make sense to me.
                                1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
                                1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Originally posted by narf
                                Did I mention it burps and farts like a Roman orgy?
                                Originally posted by Redliner
                                Wankel is better because BRAP
                                Originally posted by prizrak
                                The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
                                  Only plates I'd keep are ones that are different. Like other states. Keeping your home state and more than one doesn't make sense to me.
                                  I have my MA plates, the first round of MI plates I got that got canceled for stupid reasons, and my Miata plate.

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
                                  2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
                                  2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
                                  1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
                                  1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

Comment

Whatever, still dibs on the plates. Or at least one

Want to support the FinalGear Ringmeet? Feel free to donate! We'll make sure to put it to good use. Or buy more booze.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas View Post
                                        Whatever, still dibs on the plates. Or at least one
                                        You can keep one

Of course, being a Jaaaaag, she's already taken to marking her territory (not pictured here, ATF from the power steering hoses). Time to switch to a heavier oil, me thinks. Also added PS hoses to the list.

Last night, Spectre came by and did the X308 light conversion. We robbed them from a couple X308s in the local yards, not perfect, but way better than the fluted crap on there before.

Also did LEDs for the pilot lights, looks ace, I reckon.

Nestled in the garage, the Genesis has been evicted

Unfortunately, she developed a surging issue (irrelevant of RPM, but definitely more noticeable in 1st and 2nd). Spectre thinks it's the fuel pressure regulator, so I ordered a Bosch unit off eBay and the seller sent me one for an E34

Motor mounts and trunk struts came in though, so I may try to get some of those done this weekend.
                                        Last edited by Der Stig; November 17th, 2017, 2:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X