Someone Else's Problem: You May Not Like It, But This Is What Peak Performance Looks Like - 2012 Kia Forte EX

$2000

$2200.

rickhamilton620;n3542675 said:
Estimate to repair the Kia has come in. Any guess to the amount it costs to fix?

More than the resale value or appraisal value of the vehicle?

$1750.

I'm an optimist.

2500$

Have ridden in RH's new kia. Twas very nice, especially the interior, the creature comforts and it's ability to spin its wheels in snow. A+ 10/10 would ride in again.

93Flareside;n3542676 said:

ding ding ding! Winnar!

its $1,900 total. Should be done Jan 4th. Hopefully.

sorry for the delay, the last few days have been hectic, flying to Florida and spending time with my grandparents and the parents as well.

ScarFace88;n3542708 said:
Tree FIddy!

lol

LP;n3542709 said:
Have ridden in RH's new kia. Twas very nice, especially the interior, the creature comforts and it's ability to spin its wheels in snow. A+ 10/10 would ride in again.

:lol: Thanks! You’re too kind!

Update Time -

The car was ready a day early on the 3rd, but then, when attempting to move the car - they found that the car wouldn't start.

Progressive took the car to a Kia dealer in the area and they found that something went wrong with the "Power Distribution Block" so it needed repaired. That was a 388 dollar repair so I wonder if the dealer replaced the PDB entirely? What could have caused the PDB to become damaged? I know the interior fuse box is within the driver's side dash facing toward the door. I can't recall where the engine compartment fuse box is either.

Anyway, after that was fixed, they noticed that the driver's window wouldn't roll down completely in the driver's door. So the car now has to go to the body shop again.

New est completion date - end of day Monday. Then I'll schedule a time to pick it up. I'm sure this'll be a half day of work affair because I would rather pick it up in the daylight to verify the paint match is right, etc.

EDIT: the Forte owners facebook group comes through - both the underhood fuse box and the one in the dashboard are considered the PDB and damage to either can cause a no start condition. Looks like I won't know for sure which (if not both) box was replaced/repaired unless I get a estimate from the dealership when I pick up the car next week.

Last edited:
Annnnd it's back. After having to stay an additional day because the body shop got sealant on my back seat, I picked up the car thursday.

Right now I'm dealing with a very intermittent issue involving my turn signal bulb/wiring. The lamp appeared to go out the day before the accident - the turn signal indicator would blink fast inside and I wouldn't see it on outside. When I got it back, the signal was working again, only to fail later. Last night I changed the bulb, checked and all was good.

This morning I parked the car then got back into it maybe 20 min later and found that it wouldn't flash the left turn signal again when I unlocked the doors using the remote. I dealt with it not working for my short drive only to find it working again when I was parking at the grocery store. It worked properly the whole way home as well.

I checked the connector coming from the car's wiring into the headlamp module and it seems to be tightly connected. I did not unplug and reseat though. I guess I can narrow it down to three things:

Bad bulb holder - this is the first car i've owned where there's not a wire directly in the bulb holder...instead the holder appears to merely hold the bulb then via some electrical contact voodoo causes it to light when twisted back into place.

Bad headlight module - there's some condensation inside the headlamp around the high beam bulb area that's never gone away really

Vehicle wiring issue - this would suck ass, combined with the fuse issue earlier, I'd start worrying about things starting to gradually fail.

I've tested it twice inside so far - flashers flash like they're supposed to.

Guess I'll start noting when it happens to try and find a pattern.

Does it have a tilt steering wheel? If so, when it doesn't work next, put the signal on, unlock the tilt mechanism, and move it up and down. I once ran into an issue with a friend's Explorer where the pin for the signal came loose from the plug at the multi-function switch.

CraigB;n3544078 said:
Does it have a tilt steering wheel? If so, when it doesn't work next, put the signal on, unlock the tilt mechanism, and move it up and down. I once ran into an issue with a friend's Explorer where the pin for the signal came loose from the plug at the multi-function switch.

It does have a tilt/telescope steering wheel. I'll definitely try this.

Eh, could be like Jeep patriots where the contact pins bend away from the bulb over time. Had that late this past summer on mine. I had an intermittent rear turn signal like what you?re saying.

Try flipping the indicator on, going to the offending bulb and wiggle it around in the socket. If it starts working, try shaking the socket and see if the bulb goes out.

93Flareside;n3544341 said:
Eh, could be like Jeep patriots where the contact pins bend away from the bulb over time. Had that late this past summer on mine. I had an intermittent rear turn signal like what you?re saying.

Try flipping the indicator on, going to the offending bulb and wiggle it around in the socket. If it starts working, try shaking the socket and see if the bulb goes out.

CraigB;n3544351 said:
Good point. I recently had a reverse light go out, pulled the bulb, put it back in and it's worked ever since.

I'll give both of those a go. Oddly enough it hasn't happened since that posting.

In other news, I'm probably going to try and clean the seatbelts this summer, they're pretty grubby. That or pay for a detailing that covers that stuff.

Now, to find a car wash once it warms up that doesn't wax the vehicle - I can't wax this thing for 30 days.

Yeah, why isn't the thread updated with the next accident!

As Thomas and Loose_Unit alluded to, um... this happened Tuesday morning:

zxiSI1G.jpg

Luckily it was able to be pulled out and started.

TQ74k3s.jpg

Aftermath:

cd3ShyI.jpg

Tried to negotiate a turn and well...yeah. It’s sad how my brain just ignores everything I was taught, it was just like “nope I’m gonna just keep holding onto this brake pedal” despite knowing that I should have let go of it.

Front bumper needs to be replaced along with inner splash shields. I’m getting estimates from body shops now. First shop said 800 minimum but refused to do a itemized estimate and barely looked at the car - it felt like they were brushing me off which pissed me off.

2nd place by one of my work buildings was far more thorough (took photos, opened hood, got mileage, etc) and has good reviews. Their estimate is around a grand all together. It would take two days for them to complete the job.

I plan on taking it to a third place in town by my house today.

Will probably not use insurance given that I only made a claim 45 days ago.

The car currently is at my garage of choice getting a underbody once over, some undercoating applied where the rocks scraped it off, and diagnosing a slight shimmy now occurring from the steering wheel.

The kicker? After cleaning off the car at a unfamiliar Car Wash after my disastrous first “estimate" (the guy suggested that I waited for the weather to break, wash it off, and just drive like that for a while...)I backed into a concrete stand that car washes use to hold up the vacuum cleaners and shit:

ZKaambU.jpg

So yeah, I suck at driving and should probably honestly take the bus. I tried looking up defensive driving courses but the majority I’ve come across are online ones designed to get people their licenses back from the DMV quickly.