Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car magazines: 50 greatest cars of the past 50 years

All i'm saying is, number 38...

Last edited by Aston Martin; September 23rd, 2012, 8:51 PM.

no link?
    "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
    2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by LeVeL View Post
      no link?
      Perhaps because it's on this miraculous new invention called "paper", which, as yet, cannot be directly linked to.
      It is impossible to live in peace with fellow beings whom one believes to be damned...one must absolutely either bring them back into the fold or torment them. - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

BMW: built by Germans, driven by tossers. - Jeremy Clarkson

The world's biggest dick can be found on a blue whale. And I thought it was on Top Gear. - Sarah Millican

Your comments tonight have been described variously as "rabid", "pig-ignorant", and "stutifyingly ill-informed" - Chris Morris, apparently anticipating Jalopnik

Comment

We get it. You heart the Panda. Care to tell us about the other cars on the list?
        Originally posted by tigger
        The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

Comment

Why does the list contain a Trabant, a Multipla, and a Smart? Odd kind of "greatest car"
          Octavia
          Fabia
          Beetle

Comment

Looks like America never made a great car.
            bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
            "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
            "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

I see four Fords, and only three of them are Euro Fords
              Octavia
              Fabia
              Beetle

Comment

The Mustang, the C2 Vette and the powerplant in the Jensen are American enough

Great list, I only take offense at the colour choices and the lack of DeLorean.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spie View Post
                  Perhaps because it's on this miraculous new invention called "paper", which, as yet, cannot be directly linked to.
                  Thanks for clearing that up, Ice
                  "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
                  2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Ha. I guess my geek status is revoked.
                    bogative ?

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
                    "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
                    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                      Why does the list contain a Trabant, a Multipla, and a Smart? Odd kind of "greatest car"
                      One presumes, East Germany's people's car (same reason the 2CV, Renault 5 and Mini are there), first popular tiny city car (that anybody remembers), dunno' about the Multipla, other than it was better than it looked (which was easy)...

Doesn't that Lotus look tiny there...

Lack of US cars is probably because it is a UK based magazine and American cars don't work here, at all.
                      Last edited by captain_70s; September 23rd, 2012, 2:51 AM.

Comment

Am I blind? Because I don't see a Trabant in there.

And why is the bloody 2CV on the list? That thing is much older than 50 years!

Also I would have thought a 240 Turbo Wagon would have deserved a spot if the Saab 99 is there.
                        "It's the difference between watching great sex and having good sex." - Labcoatguy on the difference between an automatic and a manual gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by _HighVoltage_ View Post
                          Also I would have thought a 240 Turbo Wagon would have deserved a spot if the Saab 99 is there.

Sorry, it's just...
                          "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
                          -Redliner, ironically

Comment

Originally posted by Labcoatguy View Post

Sorry, it's just...
                            I'm being serious here - the 240 made station wagons popular. It was reliable, with the Turbo it was fairly quick. It was built for nearly 20 years. It created/reshaped the image of the family car. If you are going to have stuff like the Focus, 2CV, Panda, Renault 5 in there, you might as well include the 240. Not a great driver's car, but its impact was just as big as these other ones.
                            "It's the difference between watching great sex and having good sex." - Labcoatguy on the difference between an automatic and a manual gearbox.

Comment

and it has a focus too!

Comment

A Smart? Honestly......no 1960 Caddie? No DB9? No 911? But please go ahead and include a fucking Datsun and the ugliest Fiat ever created....
                                "It's not right, this." : Anonymous studio tech on the killing of TopGear.

Comment

They included cars that made an impact or showed serious novelty. Therefore, 2CV, Mini, Renault 5, Panda, Smart, and the like are justified.

And Cowboy, the 911 is there - in its newest incarnation. But everyone rambles that they can't be told apart from the older ones anyway... And they have the first Golf, not the latest, to balance out that one.
                                  DB9 - well, there is the DB5, and that one's far more iconic.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
                                    One presumes, East Germany's people's car
                                    They made seven times as many Beetles, yet that's missing

Originally posted by DanRoM View Post
                                    And they have the first second Golf GTI, not the latest, to balance out that one.
                                    FTFY.
                                    Last edited by narf; September 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM.
                                    Octavia
                                    Fabia
                                    Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                                      They made seven times as many Beetles, yet that's missing
                                      The beetle is older than 50 years. But well, so is the DB5...

Comment

Originally posted by DanRoM View Post
                                        The beetle is older than 50 years. But well, so is the DB5...
                                        Same applies to the Trabant I'd say if it mattered much during the 50 years, it doesn't matter if it was around before as well.
                                        Octavia
                                        Fabia
                                        Beetle

Comment

Working...
                                        X