Spot Them Beater Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchi View Post
    Please tell me this isn't legally allowed to drive around ...
    Technically, it's allowed to drive around without a trunk lid at all, though it will fail its next inspection for other reasons. Hoods are also not required in Texas, only that the driver's forward line of sight not be significantly obstructed.

To be totally fair to the driver, I didn't see any rust at all, not even flash rusting (which would form overnight on exposed Corolla sheet metal), on the exposed metal where the paint had cracked off in whatever incident sodomized the Corolla - so it's entirely possible the driver was simply limping their freshly-damaged vehicle to a shop or home. The GMT400 was considerably scarier to be sharing the road with.
    Last edited by Spectre; November 30th, 2017, 8:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
      Technically, it's allowed to drive around without a trunk lid at all, though it will fail its next inspection for other reasons. Hoods are also not required in Texas, only that the driver's forward line of sight not be significantly obstructed.
      But would driving around with no trunk in the case of that Corolla require to mount the number plate somewhere else, e.g. on the bumper? Because obviously the license plate holder/correct position for the license plate would be lost aswell

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
      "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
      "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
        2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
        1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
        2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
        2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

a well tinted one at that...

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
          "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
          "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

They could even tape or screw the license plate to the rear bumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchi View Post

But would driving around with no trunk in the case of that Corolla require to mount the number plate somewhere else, e.g. on the bumper? Because obviously the license plate holder/correct position for the license plate would be lost aswell
              Oddly, I came across a vehicle demonstrating one of the legal mounting options just a few days later.

The license plate light mounting is not legal (obstructing plate) but the license plate mounting solution technically is.

Comment

This poor old F-150 was parked next to me last night after I came out from dinner. It was about the most beat up truck I have ever seen still on the road. Note the plexi-glass window and the piéce of résistance, a random hinge on the bedside to old the rusty metal together.

Comment

I caught up with Dallas' nigh-legendary beater Falcon. It's looked more or less like this for at least the past 15 years. I've seen this thing all over Dallas for at least that long - this was the first time I've actually found it parked and was able to get decent pictures.

Comment

Falcon is one of my fave classic cars. Actually, my grandpa owned one.

Comment

Working...
                    X