Formula SAE (student formula)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formula SAE (student formula)

All the other threads are stale so Im re-upping this (mods do what you want).
    I just joined the Formula SAE team for the University of Central Florida. Anyone else on here part of an FSAE or Formula student team? If so, what school and where?

Why not just bump an older thread up?

Columbia FSAE, 2008, 2009. Then I graduated.
    woohoo someone changed my sig

Comment

Monash University Australia. Aerodynamics team member.

2009 car:

Last edited by nsx_23; October 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM.
      Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front, oversteer is when you hit it with the back.

Comment

Comment

The wings, all up, are about 14kg from memory. Carbon-fiber (1 or 2 layer) + Kevlar (for some elements) with foam core and alu-honeycomb endplates.

There is a bit of a debate over running aero packages in F-SAE. We get almost 60kg of downforce at 60km/hr, so its not completely meaningless, and when we do hillclimbs at the end of the year the aero package really helps. It really just comes down to whether you can design it properly or not.

The fact that we have an actual wind tunnel to verify CFD data is pretty damn useful too.
          Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front, oversteer is when you hit it with the back.

Comment

Comment

Nice. Specs?

There's talk that we might head to Germany next year, so I might see you at competition

I mean, at the end of the day, I see no reason why we shouldn't try and run an aero package. Our team has always been one of the few with wings, and there's no reason why an aero package won't work at low speeds if you tune it right.

Great article on low-speed aerodynamics:

http://www.sm-designs.co.uk/pdfs/solowings.pdf
              Last edited by nsx_23; October 16th, 2009, 1:12 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Ford Prefect; October 16th, 2009, 1:21 PM.

Comment

Guys, a question here. How is it possible to get a university to participate in this kind of competition? I'm thinking of proposing this to the University at some time later in this school year (once I create myself some connections...)
                  (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

@Ford prefect: Honda CBR600RR engine with some modifications (obviously).

I can't remember the kW and Nm numbers, but yeah. We're planning on running a pneumatic shifter on this year's car, but its a difficult development process. Fingers crossed it all comes through though.

I'd be more than happy to show you around if you come to Australia next year

As I was saying, there's no reason not to run aero if you do it right. It'd be fucken gay if SAE moves the competition deliberately to ban aerodyanmic aids since it'd essentially be cutting another avenue for teams (especially relatively poor teams like ours) to be creative and find that extra performance edge. SAE shouldn't be heavily dictating what direction car development has to take place.

Here's the old 2008 car:

@vikiradTG2007: You should probably just speak to someone at uni and see if they are willing to compete in it. However, you need to show them a thorough plan of how things will be run, so if you can get as many industry sponsors on board early as you can find then you'll have something "substantial" to present and convince the uni to fund you.

F-SAE is really more a management competition than a technical competition IMO. Getting things on the car done on time and motivating team members to stick to schedules is the key.
                    Last edited by nsx_23; October 16th, 2009, 1:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nsx_23 View Post
                      F-SAE is really more a management competition than a technical competition IMO. Getting things on the car done on time and motivating team members to stick to schedules is the key.

Comment

2008 car videos:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8d8JW-25qc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaipWjZFtaM[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by nsx_23 View Post
                          Very true.

We were probably a bit behind on our schedule, but recently had a few major setbacks, including the rear rockers which we were going to use on the new car. They broke during a testing run and now, due to that and a few other things, we wont have the 09 car down there in Dec.
                          Bit of a shame, but the 08 car will have to do for the moment....

Management definitely takes up the most time and can be difficult with leaders changing or leaving.

On a lighter note, there is a lot to be learned from the FSAE forums apparently:
                          http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1...48/m/569100543
                          Leo Wong:
                          That's exactly why im hiring an impartial scientist to perform an environmental survey!
                          Look: - That's him over there in the money shower!

Comment

I haven't been on it in 3 years, but here is the car when I was team member

Honda CBR250, turbocharged, 20K RPM

Comment

Oooohhhhhh, turbocharged.

How did it run?

Comment

When it ran it was amazing. Our engine guy was a little green so we had alot of issues. We grenaded probably 3-4 of them. Including one in competition in California, rebuilt it in the mall parking lot overnight, and then blew it again in brake testing the next day. That was the end of it, very disappointing . We were using 5 injectors to combat it leaning out only to find out a few months later that someone had forgotten to drill the hole for the 5th injector.

I have a coupe videos lurking around somewhere if you're interested.

Comment

Comment

Sure. Why not.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M46FF_g2M9U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH2nioND0rc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY79M57l-pw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jqoGhhmyvM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I think these are all I have. Enjoy

Comment

We're switching to a single cylinder engine next year, so it'll be a big job since it'll be a "clean-sheet" car.

Originally posted by rowd22 View Post
                                        On a lighter note, there is a lot to be learned from the FSAE forums apparently:
                                        http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1...48/m/569100543
                                        ROFL
                                        Last edited by nsx_23; October 17th, 2009, 2:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X