NASCAR

The All-Star race was unusually clean this year.

I couldn't believe how pathetically slow the RCR cars were...I picked Bowyer to win and he was nowhere after about 3 laps with Kevin doing worse while Jeff and Paul weren't even in it, lol

I couldn't believe how pathetically slow the RCR cars were...I picked Bowyer to win and he was nowhere after about 3 laps with Kevin doing worse while Jeff and Paul weren't even in it, lol

The only way Burton and Menard would have made it to the All-Star race (other than finishing 1-2) would have been to hope for Junior to get raptured (and become ineligible for the Sprint Junior Fan Vote).

That was a dull race, though. For all the hype (crashes! angy drivers! more crashes!), there was next to nothing. Hopefully the Coke 600 will be more exciting.

The only way Burton and Menard would have made it to the All-Star race (other than finishing 1-2) would have been to hope for Junior to get raptured (and become ineligible for the Sprint Junior Fan Vote).

That was a dull race, though. For all the hype (crashes! angy drivers! more crashes!), there was next to nothing. Hopefully the Coke 600 will be more exciting.

The problem was that Kyle and Harvick were nowhere near each other during the race.

On another note, I hope they announce Season 2's start date during the pre-race show Saturday.

Last edited:
Some painful news, from Jayski:

from a Team Chevy driver press conference transcript, #27-Paul Menard discussed his injured foot at Charlotte Motor Speedway:
ON HURTING HIS RIGHT FOOT THIS PAST WEEK
"I stepped on a piece of metal on my boat ramp (right foot) and sliced it open."
DO YOU HAVE STITCHES?
"Yeah, there are 20 stitches."
WILL YOU HAVE TO USE ANY SPECIAL PADDING OR ANYTHING FOR SUNDAY'S RACE?
"Yeah, there's a carbon insert in my foot that we kind of cut around. The wound is on the outside of the foot. It's on the bottom but toward the outside behind my pinky toe. They cut out a piece of carbon for the other side to make it stiffer. And it's fine. There's no pain or anything, it's just that the doctors are worried about it ripping open and then if it rips the stitches, then it's a big deal with infection and stuff. Right now, what's throwing me off the most right now is that my shoes are too big. I had to get bigger shoes for my right foot. Well, they both are. It's hitting the gas pedal wrong. So I'm going to have to find some different shoes and I'll be okay."
IT'S THE RIGHT FOOT?
"Yes."
YOU CAN STILL WEAR THE REGULAR LEFT FOOT SHOE
"Yeah, and I look goofy."
DO YOU HAVE TO WATCH HOW MUCH PAIN KILLER MEDICATION YOU'RE TAKING TOO?
"There is no pain. I'm not even taking pain killers. I've just got my antibiotics. They're just worried about infection."
HOW DID YOU DO IT AGAIN?
"I stepped on a piece of metal on my dock."
WHERE DID IT COME FROM?
"The dock slopes and there's a walkway so it's on rollers so as it goes up and down it moves with the dock, and I stepped on a steel roller."
DID YOU GO TO THE DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY OR DID YOU THINK IT WASN'T THAT BAD?
"Well, I walked up to the house and got in the shower and it (blood) was gushing out pretty good so we had to go to ER."(Team Chevy)(5-27-2011)

It sounds like Elliot Sadler will be on standby in case Menard is unable to complete all 600 miles.

Ouch, reminds me of the time I tried to break a wooden plank in half with my foot at a bonfire.
I neglected to notice the big ass rusty nail in the middle of the plank facing my direction.
Needless to say I had a "wooden shoe" for an instant, hilarity did not ensue.
Even vast amounts of alcohol had a tough time of distracting me from the pain.

Kimi's performance in the Top Gear 300:
Well that did not go well.
He was hanging around position 20 for most of the race and got lapped just before a pit stop.
He got caught speeding while exiting the pits and had to serve a drive through penalty.
Then shortly after that he hit a large piece of debris on the track (the front splitter off of car #51) and he had to come in again to get that removed since it got stuck to the front of his car. :?
In the end he finished 27th, 4 laps down. :(
And it was a pretty boring race as Nascar races go.

Kimi's performance in the Top Gear 300:
Well that did not go well.
He was hanging around position 20 for most of the race and got lapped just before a pit stop.
He got caught speeding while exiting the pits and had to serve a drive through penalty.
Then shortly after that he hit a large piece of debris on the track (the front splitter off of car #51) and he had to come in again to get that removed since it got stuck to the front of his car. :?
In the end he finished 27th, 4 laps down. :(
And it was a pretty boring race as Nascar races go.

Well, a speeding penalty is a rookie mistake which is something that happens to the best of them. Hitting that piece of debris was just plain bad luck. Overall, though, I thought Kimi's race was much better than the end result would suggest, though, he looked comfortable running in top 20 before hitting trouble and it would have been interesting to see if he would have been able to make progress in the second half of the race. There were a few on-track mistakes along the way as well, one of which was clearly down to lack of experience in working with a spotter (or possibly a spotter mistake) but overall another pretty solid run, considering the amount of oval experience Kimi has.

Wasn't the most interesting NASCAR race I've ever seen, though...

Goddammit. I think Dale Jr must have inadvertently desecrated an ancient Indian burial ground at some point in his life.

It's a JR / National Guard curse. First the last lap of the 500, then the 600.

At least I got the pleasure of watching the 48 blow up. It brought a tear to my eye.

no moar spoiler tags pls

That was a pretty exciting race at the end. I had counted Ambrose out once he slipped out of the top 5, but he still managed 6th at the end.

Dale Jr needs to stop breaking mirrors under ladders before he goes racing. It's heartbreaking watching his post-race interviews nowadays.

At least I got the pleasure of watching the 48 blow up. It brought a tear to my eye.
What did he say when it happened? I heard "we apologize for his language", but we were all too busy laughing to hear what he actually said.