NASCAR

Jeff Gordon to run final full-time NASCAR season in 2015

Jeff Gordon, the celebrated stock car champion whose crossover appeal helped take NASCAR into the mainstream, will compete in his 23rd and final full-time Sprint Cup Series season in 2015. He announced his decision this morning to the No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports team he has driven for since November 1992.
?As a race car driver, much of what I?ve done throughout my life has been based on following my instincts and trying to make good decisions,? Gordon said. ?I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the offseason, and I?ve decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a championship. I won?t use the ?R-word? because I plan to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there?s always the possibility I?ll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that.

One of the greatest motorsport commercials :burnrubber:

America it?s time for a gut check. If the founding fathers saw us holed up in our little cocoons?texting each other smiley faces they?d hang their powdered wigs in shame. When our idea of danger is eating gluten, there?s trouble afoot. Yes, we the people have gotten soft and all the likes in the world aren?t gonna? save us now. But one thing will?and it rhymes with MASCAR.

In America Start Your Engines, Nick Offerman and NBC Sports sing the praises and espouse the virtues of NASCAR as they deliver the ultimate badass-anthem inviting you to get some NASCAR in your life.

Now we need Nick to make a NASCAR movie :)

Last edited:
Well Stewart didnt get anything last season for his horrible incident and Travis Kvapil walked free in 2013 even when he was found guilty for domestic abuse, but this is NASCAR...

I was gonna watch Daytona 500, but not since Kurt isnt in it.

Kyle was unlucky too.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117770

Hope Kyle makes a speedy recovery from the broken leg, that was a nasty hit on Saturday. He may not be my fav driver, but I hate seeing anyone get injured.

Last edited:
http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20150227g
#44 car stolen outside hotel UPDATE withdraws:A trailer carrying a NASCAR racing team's car was stolen overnight in Morrow, GA, according to the driver of the vehicle hauling the trailer [NJ plates]. The driver says the unmarked white Xtreme Racing trailer had the #44 car inside and was stolen from a hotel sometime overnight. Local authorities have been notified.kfvs12.com.
  • AND A spokeswoman for Team Xtreme (#44 car) confirms Atlanta car and trailer were stolen from outside the team hotel.(Jeff Gluck/USA Today twitter)
    MORE Travis Kvapil's car for this weekend's Sprint Cup Series race at Atlanta Motor Speedway has apparently been stolen. A spokeswoman for Team Xtreme confirmed a Missouri TV station's report that the #44 car and its hauler disappeared from outside the team's hotel [Drury Inn & Suites] in Morrow, Ga. overnight. KFVS reported the trailer was white and unmarked and said the hauler driver reported it missing. Team Xtreme, owned by John Cohen, qualified for the Daytona 500 last week and finished 32nd with driver Reed Sorenson. But Kvapil is in the car this week with Sorenson driving for another [#29 RAB Racing] team. NASCAR teams tested at Atlanta on Thursday, meaning all the other cars are already secured inside the track (USA Today)
    UPDATE: Sgt. Larry Oglesby of the Morrow (Ga.) Police Department told ESPN.com that they are treating the car's disappearance as a stolen vehicle after a report was filed at 5:50am/et at the Drury Inn. Team owner John Cohen, who was not at the track, told ESPN.com by phone that the team will have to withdraw from the race and was still trying to gather information as to what had happened. The first practice for the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 is scheduled for 1:00pm/et Friday, and teams typically must present a car for inspection an hour or two prior to the start of Sprint Cup practice.(ESPN.com)
    UPDATE2 Statement by Team Xtreme Racing: Team Xtreme Racing can officially confirm that we have withdrawn the #44 entry from the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The #44 hauler was sent ahead of the bad weather that hit the Charlotte area on Wednesday night and parked at Atlanta Motor Speedway. With minor work remaining on the #44 Chevrolet, the car was brought separate from the hauler, in an enclosed 26-foot trailer pulled by a pickup, which arrived at the team hotel in Morrow, Georgia on Thursday night at 11:00pm/et. Hotel surveillance video shows the theft occurred at 5:32am/et. According to the police report a silver or grey Jeep Cherokee was spotted leaving the hotel at the time of the theft. "While this is obviously a setback for this weekend, our plans remain to compete in the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup season," said team owner John Cohen. "We are working closely with the Morrow police in hopes that our truck, trailer and race car are safely returned.(2-27-2015)

• Looking out the window at the empty space where a quarter-million-dollar car used to be must have big a pretty big oh crap moment.

Bump.

I caught today's Nascar cup race at the Sonoma road course and it was pretty damn good. Tony Stewart, in his last year racing full time, broke an 84 race winless streak by holding off several faster cars, only to lose the lead on the last lap and then regain it with a crazy last turn pass, to win the race. It was a genuinely intense final ~15 laps. Great stuff.

It very well might be the last race he ever wins, at this level anyway, so it definitely felt like a historic moment.

Last edited: