NASCAR

Hey all, yep I am a pretty big NASCAR fan (nothing compared to my mom though). I go to every race at Texas Motor Speedway (I was actually there this morning to watch my mother drive a car for the NASCAR driving experience). Nascar is very interesting once you delve into the intricacies of the various rivalries and strategies employed to get to Victory lane. Heres rooting for #24 this year in the chase.

If any of you have been a fan for a large amount of time, then you've probably heard of the Nashville Speedway USA/Fairgrounds. In fact, most of you have probably seen video of it, as there's a split-second clip in Top Gear introducing the nun in a monster truck not to mention the many older race highlights.

Anyway, yesterday, October 2, 2010, was likely the last race day for the historic track. It's closing down after a multi-year struggle to stay open despite Nashville mayor Carl Dean wanting it closed down and demolished to become a baseball and soccer park. The current track operator has offered alternatives to the city to keep the track open, but they won't listen. So unless something drastic happens, the track has seen its last race and will be gone completely in a couple years.

just in case anyone missed it a few weeks back....or, like me, you still get a kick from it :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog...ty-but-NASCAR-has-some-spla?urn=nascar-273487

Comments I agree with:

if Kevin Harvick doesn't win the Championship and Johnson does fans will run away in droves
Like him or not, Harvick has dominated this year. If he loses the cup during the Chase, having still performed at his average pre-Chase level... which would be 1.32 wins, 4.84 top 5, and 7.04 top 10's during the Chase... that will be the biggest travesty of the season.

That's all folks, keep your drama and poli-tricks. your debris cautions and bump and runs wins, keep your whining winners and soda pop placement interviews. Inconsistent rules are just that, INCONSISTENT! and that's what you'll get.....inconsistent , apathethic fans.
As a whole, NASCAR does seem to be trying to cater to the lowest common denominator fan with all their invented drama and weirdo rules. It's not auto racing anymore, it's pro wrestling.

Chase -> Elimination Chase -> Hell In A Cell Chase -> Tables, Ladders, Cars Match

I called last week to tell them it was ridiculous that Jimmy had the same exact problem at Dover last year without getting a penalty and how Edwards was only fined 25 points in '07 for a violation.
This is the biggest one for me, and it reeks of them trying to manipulate the Chase standings more than punishing a driver.

If those allegations are correct that case is ridiculous. Brian France really deserves to be kicked out for that one, and criminal charges would not be out of question either. Also, what on earth is the point of giving someone who might be on the other side of the world the right to interfere with how a race is run? That is just silly...

It's actually a shame that the driver affected here is Mayfield, who is not a high profile driver especially after the whole drug controversy he went through last year, if this would be someone with higher profile the whole deal would get the amount of attention this deserves.

Dear Jamie McMurray,

You make me do victory dances when you win. They stop when you awkwardly ramble about god during your victory celebration.

Love,
Me

Dear Jamie McMurray,

You make me do victory dances when you win. They stop when you awkwardly ramble about god during your victory celebration.

Love,
Me

I'm not the only one, yay!

Also, as a PS, ask to have 'Jamie McFlurry' instead of 'Big Mac' on your McDonalds car and racing suit :D

jayski have that Kahne's been booted out of the #9 car from this weekend....Almirola's in it (instead of the 83...possibility for a direct switch since Kasey's heading there next year anyway) for Martinsville.

NASCAR to use ethanol fuel mix
By Aaron Smith, staff writer
October 18, 2010: 8:07 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- NASCAR says that it will use a 15% ethanol blend in its racing fuel, days after the government approved the mix.

The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing said Saturday it is continuing its partnership with Sunoco for the use of "Sunoco Green E15," a fuel mix comprised of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline.

"With Sunoco Green E15, we are leading by example, showing that this renewable fuel, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions, works in the most demanding racing environment in the world," said Mike Lynch, managing director of the Green Innovation division for NASCAR, in a statement.

Sunoco, which has been NASCAR's fuel supplier since 2004, will blend the 15-85 mix at its fuel facility in Marcus Hook, Pa. The ethanol itself will be produced at Sunoco's ethanol plant in Fulton, N.Y., from American-grown corn, NASCAR said.

NASCAR's announcement followed the Environmental Protection Agency's approval of the so-called E15 mix on Oct. 13 for cars and trucks made since 2007.

Proponents of ethanol fuel say that it burns cleaner than gasoline. But critics oppose the taxpayer-funded subsidizing of corn production for ethanol and say the fuel is less energy-dense and efficient that gasoline.

Source

Shit just got real @ Texas, yo!!

[video=youtube;eWIw-hkrtSg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIw-hkrtSg[/video]

In other news, Danica Patrick will drive the 24 car at Phoenix.

Oh, and apparently Denny Hamlin won and is the new points leader.

Last edited:
what are the flaps for on the hood? simply for cooling, or do they prevent liftoff when sliding in reverse or sth?

The cowl flaps are positioned to channel air flow over the hood when a car spins to prevent liftoff, but they are also open to the engine bay to alleviate any pressure under the hood, so they actually work to increase front downforce forward or backward.

The cowl flaps are positioned to channel air flow over the hood when a car spins to prevent liftoff, but they are also open to the engine bay to alleviate any pressure under the hood, so they actually work to increase front downforce forward or backward.

which was, apparently, the death of the rear wing since it didn't really work....funny how we've seen cars get airbourne with the spoiler but no one complains about it, lol