2011 Endurance Racing Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 Endurance Racing Thread

Even though we have one last major race this season, I figured that a spy shot published on Autosport.com today is the perfect occasion to start talking about 2011.

Peugeot have started testing at least part of the 2011 package, as we can see below... not sure whether it is the 90X in full though:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87813

The Honkin' Great Fin is much in evidence on the engine cover; it looks like a 908 at the front, but from the driver back, it's all different: new aero package on the rear (rear wing mountings, rear bodywork, rear fenders), smaller air intake on the fender and a big roof scoop, which suggests a different engine... basically looks like a 908 tub hack with 2011 engine and part of the 2011 aero kit, so not a final 2011 car.

EDIT: Also, someone on Ten-Tenths made a good point: the HDi FAP stickers have disappeared... so could this be a petrol-engined car?

In any case, this will be the thread for all discussions about the 2011 racing season in sportscar racing, endurance racing primarily but GTs are also allowed as a subject. Le Mans itself will get its own thread when the entries are officially published in February.
    Last edited by vikiradTG2007; October 29th, 2010, 4:21 PM.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

A petrol car in Le mans this cannot be! I wonderd if the fins would make there way into le mans, cant wait for the new cars Ive always adored the way they look.

Comment

I believe it's part of the new regs, I'm sure Vikirad can confirm this

Comment

The fin is mandatory for pure 2011 cars, I'm not exactly sure how it works for grandfathered cars and 2010 cars with 2011 engines, it's rather too complicated for my brain at this early hour of morning. Also, we suspect the 90X might be a petrol car, but nothing is definite yet, there have been varying rumours from the Peugeot camp; on the other hand, Audi's R18 will still be a diesel.

EDIT: New high(er)-res photos:

Weirdly, in these photos, the HDi stickers are back. Perhaps Peugeot are currently evaluating two different engine configurations...
        Last edited by vikiradTG2007; October 30th, 2010, 8:35 AM.
        (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

Autosport.com:
          The 90X was not running with its final engine configuration during the test. Peugeot is expected to use a hybrid power unit, and the team's technical director Bruno Famin said no definite decision on the engine type had been made so far.

"We are still exploring several options with regard to the engine and technology we will use," he said. "Work on the engine's development is ongoing."

Have to say, the fin does look odd if you're used to the current cars.

Comment

Looking through other discussions about the car, particularly on French-language forums, there are a couple of points that spring immediately to view:

- looks like the front wheels use the same rims as the rear wheels now... clue towards a wheel layout like the Acura ARX-02A? I.e. "rear tires" (in terms of width) on the front?

- apparently according to L'Equipe, the car actually ran for the first time at the end of July (July 29th).

In any case, we're going to have a lot of new car talk this winter, the 90X has broken cover (at least in an interim-ish version), we should see the new Audi as well pretty soon, Aston Martin's new LMP1 car, and in GT the developments for Porsche-Corvette-BMW-etc. and also the brand-new 458 Italia GT2/GTE.
            Last edited by vikiradTG2007; October 30th, 2010, 10:25 AM.
            (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

The new GT Endurance Series in detail!

SRO Motorsports Group revealed details of its newly planned GT Endurance Series in an mail to teams and manufacturers last week. The series, to be launched in 2011, will not replace any of the GT3 series already promoted by SRO, but as Stephane Ratel said before, will be a new endurance series for teams that want to run their cars in races longer than the current one-hour sprint races.

Comment

Originally posted by vikiradTG2007 View Post
                (...) on the other hand, Audi's R18 will still be a diesel.
                Other rumors say, the new Audi R18 is going to have the turbocharged 2.0l 4 cylinder petrol-"global racing engine".

This secret will possibly be disclosed in the beginning of december because several sources say, that this might be the time for Audi to present the R18.
                Last edited by Forstrocker; November 10th, 2010, 4:22 PM.
                when the flagg drops - the bullshit stopps

Comment

Still on the subject of Audi, a relatively strange decision: the current plans state that the R18 will NOT make its debut at Sebring, grandfathered (and choked by air restrictors) R15s will race for that event alone before the R18 makes its race debut... somewhere (possibly Paul Ricard or Spa).

In any case, if Audi bring out a diesel engine, it's supposed to be a 3.7 V6 TDI. Several people have concluded from studying the photos of the Peugeot 90X, and comparing wheelbases to the 908, that it carries a V8 HDi engine (if it is still a diesel).
                  Last edited by vikiradTG2007; November 10th, 2010, 4:29 PM.
                  (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

Ordered my tickets to Le Mans yesterday. Should be a nice year for endurance racing. Might go to Spa this year for the GT1, but I heard they won't go there next year?
                    Check my website for race pictures.

Comment

Lots of news stuff to report.

Aston Martin Vantage GT4 revised for 2011
                      Flying Lizard enter Rolex 24 at Daytona in Daytona Prototype
                      New LMP2 Team: Sbarta Sport
                      Last edited by A7XFan22; November 27th, 2010, 2:03 AM.

Comment

Official Le Mans Series calendar is out! Provisional at the moment, it requires FIA approval (even though it is an ACO-sanctioned series). Interesting calendar though, and with all races capped at 6 hours instead of 1000km.

If you can't be bothered to click the link, here's the calendar:

March 11-12: Official Test Session (Paul Ricard)
                        April 1-2-3: 6 Hours of le Castellet (same location)
                        May 6-7-8: 6 Hours of Spa (ILMC round)
                        July 1-2-3: 6 Hours of Imola (ILMC round)
                        September 9-10-11: 6 Hours of Silverstone (ILMC round)
                        September 23-24-25: 6-hour race in Portugal (track as of now unconfirmed... Portimao is most likely I guess, the only alternative might be Estoril)

Interesting choice to put Imola on the calendar, and also as a ILMC race... which should mean a Le Mans-like entry list. And Imola is a tight track. Does anyone see any problem with that?

EDIT: Also, the full ILMC calendar.

March 19th: 12 Hours of Sebring
                        May 8th: 6 Hours of Spa
                        June 11th-12th: 24 Hours of Le Mans (double points round)
                        July 3th: 6 Hours of Imola
                        September 11th: 6 Hours of Silverstone
                        October 1st: Petit Le Mans
                        November 12th: 6-hour race in China (location unconfirmed at the moment)
                        Last edited by vikiradTG2007; November 29th, 2010, 3:29 PM.
                        (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

Toyota is officially back to endurance racing, as an engine supplier for Rebellion Racing in LMP1; the engine of choice is most likely to be their 3.4 l V8 Super GT engine, or an engine very similar to it in any case.
                          (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

It's pretty much confirmed they will use the SuperGT engine.

Comment

Yes, this is a spyshot of the new Ferrari 458 Italia in GT2 spec testing at Fiorano... with what looks like Jaime Melo driving.

EDIT: Driver confirmed by others to be Pierre Kaffer.
                              Last edited by vikiradTG2007; December 8th, 2010, 6:29 AM.
                              (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

Looks like it's going to eat my children!

Comment

That looks menacing. Can't wait to see it in action at Sebring.

Originally posted by A7XFan22 View Post
                                  Looks like it's going to eat my children!
                                  You have children?

Comment

Pretty cold there, they even had to blank of some of the front radiators.

Comment

Well we can see snow behind the armco...
                                      (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

Originally posted by Loop View Post

You have children?

It's so menacing it's going to eat the children I don't even have. It's THAT angry!

Comment

Working...
                                        X