The official 2011 season MotoGP thread!

After the race Stoner said that with the new transmission, bike is harder to make start. He also said that he would have needed some help from the track workers to push the bike to downhill, because he could start it there.

I'll have to pick this up once I find another video. Maybe I can upload that part from my rip of the race.

Don't bother for me. I think you're just seeing things that aren't there. If you went through past crashes involving more than one bike you'd see the marshals often starting one bike first and then helping the other, but it doesn't mean they're favoring the other on purpose. Maybe the marshals would favor Rossi at Mugello and the other way around at Phillip Island but I'm sure this incident was just a coincidence.

Brabham said:
After the race Stoner said that with the new transmission, bike is harder to make start. He also said that he would have needed some help from the track workers to push the bike to downhill, because he could start it there.

Interesting. One would assume it'd start like any other bike as long as it's in first gear and has a "normal" first gear ratio. Would be nice to get some details on the new trans.

Spectator video of the incident:

Once both bikes where up, Rossi basically restarted without any help (he had kept his engine running), and at least 4 marshals try to give Stoner a push for the restart.

Once both bikes where up, Rossi basically restarted without any help (he had kept his engine running), and at least 4 marshals try to give Stoner a push for the restart.

Exactly how I saw it in the race. rossi only was pushed like 2 ft, and thats not enough to bump start it..

Stoner had already had that much room, he had got it rolled backwards then an initial 3-4ft push by 2 guys who then went to help rossi and couldnt get it.. ON his SECOND attempt, only 1 guy was there, and he was annoyed.. But if he needed a whole hill to get going.. thats too much... he was just angry..

Last edited:
Not a news concerning the 2011 season, but Austin Texas has just been confirmed for ten years, starting in 2013, for the 3 classes.

Oo, that looks rather nice. I love changes in elevation, most modern tracks are built too flat IMO. Sachsenring has always been the race I've most looked forward to.

The effect is exaggerated in this picture though.

Unfortunately, it looks like they haven't used the elevation changes to create an awesome balls to the walls corner.
But it's a tilke drome so what would one expect...

:tumbleweed:

Estoril GP

Spoilered in case lots of peeps may be watching recorded coverage in different time zones.

Which may acount for the lack of posts here. :p

BBC Sport - Spain's Dani Pedrosa wins Portuguese MotoGP in Estoril

Good day for the Honda Team, well done Dani. :thumbup:

During the break since the last GP, seems like a lot of the riders had surgery to fix things. Tough life being a MotoGP rider.

Simoncelli gets to the fourth corner of the first lap, then high sides. D'oh! :lol:

Also, Charlie Cox has broken his wrist, how he do that?

Great race today! Pedrosa suprised me BIG time because i thought Lorenzo would leave Pedrosa on last laps. Stoner nearly retired the race because the back pain but great 3rd race for him. Rossi showed great riding today, he won Hayden by +30 seconds...

Moto2 race was again best of the 3 classes but it was a shame that they showed only frontrunners for nearly whole race, because there was lot of things happening.

:tumbleweed:

Estoril GP

Spoilered in case lots of peeps may be watching recorded coverage in different time zones.

Which may acount for the lack of posts here. :p

BBC Sport - Spain's Dani Pedrosa wins Portuguese MotoGP in Estoril

Good day for the Honda Team, well done Dani. :thumbup:

During the break since the last GP, seems like a lot of the riders had surgery to fix things. Tough life being a MotoGP rider.

Simoncelli gets to the fourth corner of the first lap, then high sides. D'oh! :lol:

Also, Charlie Cox has broken his wrist, how he do that?

actually he had it in a sling in the previous race. i remember because the presenters were constantly ribbing him about it.

the Moto GP race itself was boring once Simoncelli went off. really wanted him and Lorenzo to let the handbags fly.

Moto2 race was the more interesting one. Thought it was a nice touch with Yuki Takahashi and his tribute to his late brother. very touching.

Pedrosa really is the most unstable rider ever. Again he was obviously tons faster than anyone else, looking at the pace he had after he decided to get past Lorenzo. One race he completely dominates and next race he's riding somewhere around positions 6-9 losing 2 seconds to the leaders per lap. Of course he has some kind of injury every other race and rides on local anesthetics and painkillers but still.

Interesting to see Rossi keep such a super steady pace for the whole race, in the last few years he's usually had his pace go faster or slower as the race progresses. Pretty rare mistake by him in the final corner to let Dovi pass him to the flag.

it seemed like the difference in that last corner, was the honda transmission - dovi's bike just found another rapid gear, while it looks like Vali was a bit off the powerband. Sure Dovi took in more speed, but Vali should have had him covered and was ahead on the straight with an earlier throttle opening.

Considering the speed Dovi passed him with I'm pretty sure Rossi made a mistake. The difference the new trans makes on a single straight is very minimal considering how fast the "normal" transmissions shift.

Just downloaded the Moto2 race, gonna watch it tonight. Hope it's better than the MotoGP class.

Don't worry, it is.

Indeed it was. :)

Love the Iannone type riders who qualify sloppy but make a run through the field in the race. Shame about his crash and L?thi's as well. I hate to see talented riders like De Angelis, Kallio and Pasini ride at the back of the pack, would love too see them on better bikes fighting for proper positions.

Pedrosa is still struggling with a pretty bad injury... just saying.

anyone watched the race?

what the hell was simoncelli thinking when he took pedrosa out like that?
if i were pedrosa i went over to simoncelli and planted my fist in the middle of his face!
but he can't even do that with a broken collarbone...

I don't understand how Simoncelli can be given a drive through for that and Stoner is only given a pocket money fine for displaying handbags at the practice.

I don't understand how Simoncelli can be penalised at all, he had the racing line and was in front by the corner. Pedrosa should have either yielded that spot or not have braked so gingerly into the corner.