Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The weekend that turned tragic...R.I.P Marco Simoncelli." - 2011 Malaysian MotoGP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The weekend that turned tragic...R.I.P Marco Simoncelli." - 2011 Malaysian MotoGP

This thread contains 83 photos. Please allow ample time for the photos to download.

This thread also contains my emotional account of the greatest tragedy Sepang International Circuit had ever seen. Took me a while to get the courage to write the essay.
    FRIDAY, 21st October 2011
    Last edited by Exarkun; December 18th, 2011, 7:42 AM.

#6. AP Photographer taking a break.

#7. Colin Edwards.

#8. Ben Spies of Yamaha Factory Racing.

#9. Loris Capirossi of Pramac Racing Team. Sepang was his penultimate race after decades in motorbike racing.

#10. Valentino Rossi.

Comment

Comment

#16. Moto2 bikes after Turn 15.

#17. Kenan Sofuoglu of Technomag-CIP Moto2 sliding off at Turn 15.

#18. Aleix Espargaro of Pons HP 40.

#19. Andrea Iannone of Speed Master

#20. Yuki Takahashi of Gresini Racing Moto2 limping back to the pits after collecting grass somewhere.

Comment

#21. Hafizh Syahrin Abdullah of Team Petronas Malaysia as Moto2 Wildcard.

#22. Jordi Torres of Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2.

After the end of the all the practice session, I went back to the pit lane for the PitWalk Session.

#23. BMW 1 Series M Coupe and the BMW X6M as MotoGP safety cars.

#24. The pitlane in the evening.

I stayed on for a few hours and processed some pictures for SIC and then headed home to rest and prepare for Saturday.

Comment

SATURDAY, 22nd October 2011

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Soon it was time for Qualifying. Took a quick lunch and head back out, this time deciding to station myself at Turn 2 Outside.

#45. 125cc Qualifying

#46. Valentino Rossi leading Karel Abraham at Turn 1. (Picture #46 for bike #46. )

#47. Casey Stoner

#48. Nicky Hayden of Ducati.

#49. Karel Abraham leading Randy De Puniet.

Comment

After spending almost an hour at Turn 2 outside, I decided to move to Turn 15 outside.

#50.

#51. Rossi at Turn 15.

When qualifying was over, I flagged a shuttle and head back to the Media Centre to process and prepare for Sunday.

#52. Managed to get a shot of Rossi meeting the press and fans from inside Media Centre.

With that above shot I drove back home and prepared my gears for Sunday

To be continued...

Comment

SUNDAY, 23rd October 2011

Comment

Warm up was about to start and I need to top up my water supply and clear the memory cards.

After all that was done I went to Turn 4.

#58. Marco Simoncelli. Shot literally a few hours before his death. (Photo 58 for bike#58. No I didn't plan this. It just came about. Spooky.)

#59.

#60.

#61.

#62. Nicky Hayden giving me a wheelie after the warm-up session.

Comment

Comment

With that I topped up my water and rechecked my gears and head up. I actually kind of glad to be on the roof. It was close to the Media Centre so if anything I can always run down should supplies get short. I was also looking forward to shoot the podium celebrations, champagne spray and all.

When it was time for the 125cc race to start, I head up to the roof.

#68. Panaromic shot of the main grandstand. Look at the dark clouds. Someone up there signalling something? It was also the highest attendance Sepang ever had. Look at the packed grandstand!

#69.

#70. Panaromic shot K1 grandstand for the start of Moto2 race.

#71. Moto2 Winners.

#72. Moto2 riders spraying Ginny Gan. Poor girl. Hehe..

Comment

Comment

Me:Friend:Me:

Comment

THE END.

Comment

Thanks for the write up and the beautiful pictures. It's a terrible shame that your first MotoGP experience had to end in tragedy. RIP Marco I hope the accident doesn't put you off MotoGP as it's a great sport full of characters and you clearly have an eye for motorsport photography.
                                      THE FLAT EARTH SOCIETY
                                      "Deprogramming the masses since 1547"

"Jean Todt's system will never succeed, not even with Michael Schumacher" - Niki Lauda, 1995

Comment

Wow, what a terrible tragedy.

Amazing shots; I really felt the emotion in all of your pictures.

Bikes:Honda VFR 800 Honda 919
                                        Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Sport
                                        Cars:Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Jaguar XJR 4.0
                                        Broken:Ford Bronco 4.9 4x4

Comment

Working...
                                        X