Grand-Am Road Racing

alaskarat

Car(s)
2004 F150, 2010 F150, 2005 Aveo, 2005 Tahoe
With the Rolex 24 at Daytona coming up next month I was wonder if anyone else is into Grand-Am? Don?t know Grand-Am here is there web sight http://www.grand-am.com/

Only following the Daytona 24h due to the more "international" line-ups that appear for this race, lots of well-known names from all over sportscar racing get drives here for people you wouldn't expect. Otherwise, DPs are not my cup of tea, not even the new generation.

And with this post numbered 10 thousand, I surrender my remaining pieces of soul to this forum. :lol:

I really enjoy it when I get a chance to watch. Its a good combination of european and american style racing but for some reason I find it hard to take the time sit down and watch it regularly. This may change though with the corvette DP on the track.

Grand-Am is one of my favorites to watch. It may not be the most sophisticated racing series, but it good to watch.

I love Grand Am, it is my second favorite series to watch, with ALMS being my favorite.

I'm a little upset they won't be racing at VIR in 2012 because I don't really have the time or the money to venture anywhere else to see a race. The race this year was awesome in the rain, even if a good part of the first hour was spent behind the pace car.

At least you're in the USA
It is more like we are part of the USA not really in the USA. We are closer to Canada and Russia then the lower 48.

Next item up for bid; Audi R8 is making its appearance this season. Seems to be a big difference from what is used in Europe. So how is the Audi going to do?

Audi says that its R8 Grand-Am car differs significantly from the European R8 LMS, primarily because the American series? rules force the use of different aerodynamic components. Audi says the R8 loses about 80 percent of its aerodynamic downforce due to special Grand-Am requirements; the rear wing, for instance, must be 10.2 inches narrower than on the European car, while the suspension must ride at least 0.4 inch higher for Grand-Am racing. As a result, Audi says it was forced to adjust the race car?s suspension with softer dampers for use in the American race series.
Audi-R8-Grand-Am-race-car-front-623x389.jpg

I know. But I think I'd rather be there, than in New Zealand where the only broadcasts are highlights at weird times. Unlike live and on ESPN I presume? Wish I was able to go and watch a race live.

That Audi looks awesome. Hope it does well.

I know. But I think I'd rather be there, than in New Zealand where the only broadcasts are highlights at weird times. Unlike live and on ESPN I presume? Wish I was able to go and watch a race live.

That Audi looks awesome. Hope it does well.

I only saw it on "SPEED" and only while flipping the channels. I only watched two races and got hooked. I have recorded some racing from across the street from you, the V8 Supercars Australia racing also shown on SPEED.

Off topic: My middle son told me the other day he would like to live in another country, when asked which country he said New Zealand. Want to trade places with him?

I like most forms of racing to be honest. Grand-AM was quite exciting when I first saw it. V8 supercars rocks. Always enjoy watching it.

I think Alaska is a bit cold for me lol. I get annoyed at 10C let alone -40/50c?!

Don't get me wrong, I like NZ. But with earthquakes going on a lot recently, bad income because of lack of jobs and what not, it's just an annoying place to be most of the time. It is beautiful and what not, but when you're living here, it's just like any place in the world.

I've quite liked Grand-Am despite the look of the DP cars. It may not be the pinnacle of the sport or have the most advanced cars as far as technology goes, but in general the racing is pretty good and there are a lot of familiar names in the grid. There will be live coverage in Europe come 2012 and I'm looking forward to seeing more races live...

I have not found that the DP Cars are that ugly as a matter of fact I think they are pretty cool. I have noted that the races for the most part have nail biting finishes. But there is something about the GT class that interests me more perhaps it is the sight of a Chevy Camaro racing against Porsche and Mazdas. This will be the first season that I will be able to follow the series from start to finish and I am looking forward to it.

Considering where my alma mater was located, I went to every Daytona 24 from 2003 to 2008. Very interesting watching the progress of the series in that time. I belive 2003 was the last year of open-topped cars, and 2004, I believe was the first year for the DPs. I haven't had the time to actually watch the series in its entirety every year, but the 24 at Daytona is always a fun race (and the start of spring). Of course, being pretty much the first race of any major racing series in each New Year, it's always a great showing.

Will try to watch it this year, wish I could go to it again. Always great fun, especially around hour 11 when they start pulling cars into the paddocks.

At least you are in the lower 48 where you can get to the races. :)

Quite true. I still have the Baltimore GP, even though that isn't Grand Am. And I'm still young, so I've got plenty of time to save up some money and go see other races.

I'm absolutely hooked on Contiental Tire. I think it's the future. It's got huge support and I think, and rather nonvocal yet somewhat large following. One of my karting buddies is taking the 171 APR VW this year. Driving one of those races is one of the bucket list items for me.

There are talks of Grand Am adopting B-spec rules for a new intro series, since the Mustang Challenge went kaput. So I might be able to get some of that action.

Surprise of all surprises: Radio Le Mans will cover the full Daytona 24h this weekend, the whole race live in audio and 15 hours of it will be added to live pictures on Motors TV in Europe, as well as other channels while they are on break. Commentary team: John Hindhaugh, Graham Goodwin, Joe Bradley, Jeremy Shaw, Paul Truswell.