Official WRC thread

One would think they would launch a car this season for testing.

Well, holy crap. Loeb is just something else. Uncharacteristic off into a bridge railing yesterday and driving like a mad thing to get back to 3rd overall atm. Amazing! :shock: He'll either somehow end up still winning this, finish at least on the podium, or bin it big time. Mikko is making mistakes and generally being useless. :-(

EDIT: SECOND overall now, and possibly challenging Ogier for the day 2 lead. OMG!

Last edited:
What a brilliant final day in NZ. I won't spoil it for anyone just yet but I caught the highlights without knowing the results and it was really exciting stuff all the way to the end. Fantastic!

That was epic indeed. But FFS Petter really has no luck at all! :cry: (Mind you, the way Loeb, Ogier and Solberg were tearing it up I actually wasn't surprised that they all made mistakes).

I'm happy for Jari-Matti Latvala, however. He needed that to show everyone he can drive consistently and strategically as well as flat-out when appropriate. He's making Hirvonen look ordinary. I like JML, but Hirvonven is supposed to be Ford's No.1 driver, he can't just go AWOL like that, especially when Loeb screws up and gives him such a rare opportunity. As for Dani & Henning.....are they even trying anymore? :?

It will be such as shame that there's no Rally NZ next year - it's MILES better than the Aus event (unless significant improvements are made).

Once again another fantastic NZ rally. It is rare to see Loeb go up to and past his limit.

Absolutely gutted for Petter : (

Anyone got the onboard footage of the crash?

From WRC.com via Youtube. It appears very briefly 30 secs or so in (you can't really see much either and has the annoying commentator whatever-his-name-is talking over it). This is all I could find. :shrug:

EDIT: Found this one without stupid commentary: @ 1:20.

Last edited:
:(

Autosport said:
Mills steps down as Solberg's co-driver

Phil Mills and Petter SolbergPhil Mills has decided to retire from co-driving with Petter Solberg in the World Rally Championship.

The 47-year-old Briton has contested 152 WRC rounds with Solberg, winning 13 events and the 2003 world title together. But he has decided to step down to concentrate on other areas of his life. He has built up a successful motorsport preparation business in near his home in Wales.

"This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, but I feel the time has come to concentrate on other parts of my life," said Mills.

"We have competed on 152 events over the past 11 years and it has become more of a way of life than a job. I have enjoyed every single kilometre through the highs and lows that came along and I am sure Petter will win many more events in the future, given the right circumstances.

"I will miss the whole WRC scene very much and wish Petter and the team very great success in the future."

Solberg, who has only tackled three rounds of the WRC without Mills since they got together in 1999, is yet to find a replacement.

"Phil is leaving the team and I feel really sad about that," he said. "I think it will be really difficult to find a co-driver with his skills to join me in my car again.

"We have been together for so many years, I've had him by my side for most of my career, so this is a tough break for me. Looking back on what we have achieved together, I feel especially sorry as I was sure our next win would happen this season and I was hoping to have Phil by my side when it happens.

"He has been the one who has meant the most for me through my driving career. Our relationship must have been the strongest between driver and co-driver ever!"

The Solberg and Mills partnership was one of the WRC's longest standing, but the record remains for Carlos Sainz and Luis Moya, who competed on 161 rounds of the series together.

that is a shame. i've been enjoying listening to Mills calling the pace notes over the years. And its been a highlight of the otherwise annoying MotorsTV coverage.

Good luck to him on his future endeavours

Don't get the MotorsTV coverage. The OneHD coverage is much better, albeit it shorter.

Oh believe me, i know :)

I only get the MotorsTV copy as a last resort ;) but thanks for the tip

Odd, being in Australia i have access to OneHD, but never manage to be watching when the WRC is actually broadcast

Last edited:
Anyone see that fantastic battle of Ogier and Loeb in Portugal?

Yeah, that was epic. Ogier really has a chance of winning even more rallies this season. He really is shaping up to be the next Loeb.

As usual, Loeb leaves everyone else and their mothers squabbling for second place. God, does that man ever slows down?

Rally Bulgaria SS9

Sunday now and still nothing showing up at that site with the scary fish...if you know what I mean. If anyone knows of a good place for fairly up-to-date coverage, can they please PM me?