Official WRC thread

Man, these guys have balls to be going this quick in Finland. I'm always amazed by this event. Amazing. Just saw Sordo crash on Day 2 and too bad for Solberg :(, again.

Brisbane claims Australian round
August 24, 2006
BRISBANE is set to replace Perth as home for the Australian leg of the world rally championship from next year.

A new promoter has won the right to stage the event in Brisbane for the next five years - pending approval from the international governing body, the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) announced today.

Western Australia later this year will hosts its final WRC round for the immediate future.

No date or location has been chosen for the proposed Queensland-staged rally, but it's understood the event would be staged in South-East Queensland, within 50km of Brisbane.

The rally could be slotted in between Rally New Zealand in late August and another leg staged in France in October.

CAMS President, Colin Osborne, was thrilled the event had found a new home.

"It's pleasing that a process which started over 15 months ago has finally come to fruition," Osborne said.

"Rally Australia is one of our hallmark international events, and the legacy built since 1988 in Western Australia is something that both CAMS and our new promoters, IQG Rally Events Australia Pty Ltd, hope to continue to build on for many years to come."

Source

It looks like Australia might not be gone just yet. :)

Thats really good news. It would make no sense that the WRC NOT visit Australia of all places. I think they were just looking for an excuse NOT to travel so many miles :lol:

Ideally, the WRC round in Australia would be in the Norther Territory in the desert but Brisbanes better than nothing :)

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Thats really good news. It would make no sense that the WRC NOT visit Australia of all places. I think they were just looking for an excuse NOT to travel so many miles :lol:

Given that it's only now that someone has stepped up saying they want to host the event, it makes perfect sense that Australia was on the chopping block.

In our favour is Rally NZ - with the teams already in this part of the world, scheduling Rally Oz around the same time would enable a nice pairing, and keep costs for the teams down.

Good job for Atkinson. With his off on the second day I was laughing by his comment regarding the rear wing missing.

This was good fighting for Rally Japan between Gronholm and Loeb. Loeb gets win 27 and Solberg has reliability problems again. You can tell he is holding back his true feelings regarding all these problems.

Oh well, I'd like to see all three of them go into a battle.

News for Aussie WRC fans:
Subaru keeps Atkinson for third year

Australia's Chris Atkinson has been confirmed as the Subaru World Rally Team's second driver for 2007. Atkinson and co-driver Glenn Macneall will contest every round of the world rally championship together with the team's lead crew, Petter Solberg and Phil Mills, while Stephane Sarrazin, the Frenchman nominated to score manufacturer points in tarmac events this season, is being dropped. "I feel I've really started to make a difference to the team, so it's good to know that Subaru is putting so much faith in my ability," Atkinson says. "I feel I can help them progress." Atkinson, 26, is the first full-time Australian driver in the world championship.
Fingers crossed the car doesn't have any mechanical problems in 2007 thus giving him a proper chance to perform. He has made mistakes himself however....

Petter's car has all the problems which is odd because Atkinson doesn't have the same problems with his car. The new rookie drivers coming up will make this very exciting.

World Rally Championship coming to Brisbane 2008

19 October 2006

Gordon Lomas

IT'S all systems go for a leg of the World Rally Championship to be staged near Brisbane in 2008.

Brisbane has been confirmed as the new host of Rally Australia following the FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting in Barcelona yesterday.

It is the first time a World Rally Championship calendar has been finalised so far in advance.

Garry Connelly, who will stand down as Australian Rally Commission chairman at the end of the year, said more details on the new home of the Australian leg of the WRC would become known during Rally Australia in Perth on October 27-29.

"We will make an announcement during Rally Australia and all the fine details will be released," Connelly said.

Australia will be missing from the World Rally Championship calendar next year with the final WRC round to be staged in Corsica after being based out of Perth since the late 1980s.

WRC commercial rights holder David Richards says it is good news that Australia will return to the championship in 2008 and he has endorsed Queensland as an ideal venue.

There remains a degree of mystery about IQG Rally Events Australia which has been appointed as the promoter of the Queensland event.

The only thing known is that the WRC round will be held within a 50km radius of Brisbane, using forestry roads much closer to the state capital than the long-running Australian Rally Championship round based around Imbil near Gympie.

Richards, who runs the Prodrive racing operation out of Banbury in England which fields the Subaru World Rally Team, is delighted that Gold Coast ace Chris Atkinson has been signed for a third season with the team in 2007.

"He's done a really good job and we think we've found the main handling problems with the car that have dogged our progress in the WRC," Richards said.

It is known that Suzuki has chased hard to sign Atkinson who has done a tidy job against the world's best along with his co-driver Glenn Macneall.

Source

damn SPEED TV for not broadcasting WRC, now I have to wait to download torrent highlights :x

WRC IS THE SHIT!!!

I've been watching several rallying videos/clips and WOW. Thats all i can say! Ive been youtube-ing and there i found several worth watching clips. With the right music and the right clips, you got yourself a really nice video.

What i found really interesting is that Canada, well not so much as America pride themselves with having everything and being "advanced", etc. But we are THOUSANDS of years behind when it comes to rallying. We're just catching on to drifting! Infront of these rally drivers i dont think any nascar, F1, Indy, or any other driver stands a CHANCE! Rally pushes the boundries of physics and whats physically possible. Its SIMPLY amazing. im lost of words...

I've searched many sites and watched several videos but couldnt find any that i could watch over and over again w/o getting bored. If you guys have any AMAZING wrc clips can you give me a link to them? That would be great. I would really appreciate it, if theyre not torrents. Thanks...

-Mojo-

Aaalrighty, Loeb crashed out in Monte Carlo and didn't finish the day, was given a 5minute penalty. Continued the race on the next day and finished 2nd.

I want a show of hands of who still thinks that that was a fair and just penalty???

Monte Carlo 2006...

I was merely questioning the fairness of the time penalty (I bitched about itback then as well) in reference to the Rally Australia events...

so when will Loeb be back in his car or he will not be back this season after winning the championship title

He's propably more likely to take his time to recover now that there's no need to come back and fight for the title.

A great victory for Mikko, and a deserved title for Loeb. And quite an amusing quote from Loeb afterwards:
Autosport said:
"After the final stage finish, I sent Marcus a friendly text message to thank him for the competition. He answered that it was just fair and that I deserved this title. He also warned me about next year !!!" (laughs)

If Petter and Subaru can get to grips with their DNFs.

damn speedtv totally missed the 2006 season, and I heard it was good. are they going to broadcast 2007?

damn speedtv totally missed the 2006 season, and I heard it was good. are they going to broadcast 2007?
I don't know, but I hope they do. I totally wanted to start getting into WRC, but now I have download torrents for it. Which is a bitch, cause it takes so long and they are only highlights. I just gave up on some races.

I don't know, but I hope they do. I totally wanted to start getting into WRC, but now I have download torrents for it. Which is a bitch, cause it takes so long and they are only highlights. I just gave up on some races.
Why don't you download from the HTTP site (Stickied in Video Offers). That's what I've been doing.