Endurance racing 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Endurance racing 2016

porsche and audi announced they both will only field 2 instead of 3 cars for next year's Le Mans race
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122046

all thanks to the emission scandal...

If you are fielding two cars already, how much more expensive is it to field a third? Especially since it improves your chances of both finishing and finishing first, which is why you spend so much to be there in the first place.

Comment

i don't think the actualy car is the biggest cost, but 3 additional drivers + who knows how many engineers + all the added logistics can mount to a hefty invoice i think

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
        i don't think the actualy car is the biggest cost, but 3 additional drivers + who knows how many engineers + all the added logistics can mount to a hefty invoice i think
        Those cars and all the spare parts/wheels/tires aren't chump change either, but yeah, I think all the salaries for the crew are the bigger cost. At least they're still racing. The program easily could have been cut in its entirety.

Also mentioned it in the RT thread in this section, but worth posting the picture in here.

Originally posted by CrzRsn View Post
        Man is that an ugly car.

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
        2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
        2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
        1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
        1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
          one LMP1 less in the WEC with all the costs is easily around 2-3 million euros; although it's always hard to say as they do tend to spend a lot more than privateers. Might not sound much compared to god knows how many billion they make in profit as a car manufacturer per year but if you have to save here and there it might make a difference.

I mean, the GT section of Porsche's engagement has also been cut, although it seems like it's for a completely new car for the year 2017.

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
          "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
          "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

Disection of the 2016 R18 http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov15.html

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
            2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
            2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
            1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
            1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

NISSAN quits LMP1-program

Starting grid in LMP1-class for next year just got little smaller, NISSAN announced it wont participate in FIA WEC-series..
              http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/ite...san-quits-lmp1
              IMHO, after disasters like deltawing and ZEOD-RC i am not suprised..

Comment

I'll just put on my Not Surprised Face.

Honestly the ACO should stop giving out easy access to Le Mans for Manufacturers that don't do the WEC & do the first two races. It's just too easy for them do say "oh we're not ready for silverstone/spa" and then just race Le Mans then quit out. Not saying Nissan did this but it rubs me the wrong way how Nissan did this whole GTRLM thing, all hype over actual racing.

Comment

the deltawing was far from a disaster! gave them the best publicity possible, probably even more than an outright win, and it actually kind of worked!

what a shame i wanted that FWD monstrosity to achieve at least sth. taking risks like they did with the design, should be rewarded on some level, now they're left with nothing

Comment

well it was a gamble and it didn't pay off.
                    This thing was done to win lemans and nothing else. Imho the idea was to suck at silverstone and spa, becuse its shit in corners and get boost of power for lemans straights and try wining it. But nissan underfunded the project, had no serious drivier talent, for racing or development and that was that.

And now FIA is caping power for 2016 hybrids can produce so GT-R doesn't have a chance.
                    Last edited by Thanatos; December 23rd, 2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Over 23hrs left in the Daytona 24hrs

www.imsa.com
                      Team Black Jack

So, that's all good.

Comment

Sabine is in #30. Nearly didn't make because of clash with TG filming on the east coast.

Katherine Legge had a great stint in the Delta Wing

spotter guide
                        http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/16imsa/
                        Team Black Jack

So, that's all good.

Comment

Shame about the DeltaWing. It was involved in a crash and they've been trying to get it repaired, but they've officially retired. Real bummer, since it was so strong in the race.

Also a bit disappointed for Ford. They're running dead last in class at the moment. Lots of teething issues apparently.

Comment

Pretty good Rolex 24. I was happy to see the Corvettes do well, but even more impressed that they were allowed to race each other so hard at the end. Only 0.034 seconds between them, after 24 hours of racing.

Comment

It was a fantastic finish, also respect for the Viper on P3 in GTD without any factory support.

Viva la Targa!

"Anybody who accuses this of being a girl car, needs to get into a Miata or Fiata on a back road. This is the most fun you can have in a car - without a girl in it." - Jason Cammisa about the ND platform
                              "Changing gear is a vital form of self-expression that I'm being denied." - Richard Hammond on the Gen 4 Clio RS
                              "These cars remind us, what driving - and in a wider sense, what motoring is all about. It's about the sensation of controlling a machine - not the speed with which you cover ground." - Chris Harris on the Caterham Seven and the purity of driving

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchi View Post
                                It was a fantastic finish, also respect for the Viper on P3 in GTD without any factory support.
                                Not bad considering they were four laps down at one stage.

Was a bit strange when Hindy wondered why their last stop was so late and doubted they would gain from that....
                                Team Black Jack

So, that's all good.

Comment

12 Hours of Sebring is live, starting about an hour ago.

www.imsa.com

Comment

Red flag

race suspended for about 30 mins due to thunder and lightning
                                    Team Black Jack

So, that's all good.

Comment

Pretty exciting end to the 12 hours of Sebring. Those final ~10 minutes were great.

And another great result for Corvette Racing, at least for one of their cars. That crash between Jan Magnussen and Kevin Estre fighting for class lead was dramatic.

Last edited by TC; March 20th, 2016, 4:34 AM.

Comment

Bathurst Motorsport Festival

Bathurst 6Hr

stream live now, support races currently, 6hr soon

http://bathurstmotorfestival.com.au/live

http://motorsportstv.com.au/?p=2842

#B6HR
                                        https://twitter.com/hashtag/B6hr?src=hash
                                        Team Black Jack

So, that's all good.

Comment

Working...
                                        X