2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

But that would be against the spirit of f1: Low cost identical cars designed to promote fuel economy and energy saving devices!

A pity about Honda. Lets hope Fry and Brawn can pull some strings and make things happen. Would not want to see a reduced grid in 09 :(.

so what are going to end up with?

4 or 5 top teams with A and B drivers, and then each has their customer car teams with A and B drivers? And then hidden mega team orders?

Yeah that will be fun to watch. Ever since we lost the USGP I've been less and less interested. Now no Canada, maybe no UK GP, no Honda, etc. What a bummer.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/people/290116/fia-confirm-cosworth-engine-supply.html

FIA confirm Cosworth engine supply

In a letter sent to F1 Constructors Max Mosley outlines new engine regulations.

After much sabre rattling from both teams and the FIA, it was announced today that an exclusive agreement has been reached with Cosworth, Ricardo and Xtrac to supply a standard power-train in F1 from 2010 onwards.

The engine ia to be a development of the Cosworth CA, 2.4l V8 engine developed by the famous Northamptonshire company and raced by Williams in 2006. In race specification (opposed to qualifiying trim) it produced in the region of 750bhp, so would be well matched with existing power units.

Max Mosley also stated that teams would not be forced to use the engine, with the option of either producing their own version or retaining their existing units, provided there was parity in performance.

All teams however will be required to use the standard 'XR' transmission.

I swear I've been so busy lately, I've not been able to follow up on F1 news closely... but wtf is going on!?!

At the end of the day, if F1 implodes on itself, I'm going to follow McLaren wherever they go...

And the world keeps getting worse...

:jawdrop:I'm speechless.

I honestly thought that with all the threats from Ferrari and the drivers to boycott, they might, I dunno, reconsider? This confirms it. F1 is dead. The apocalypse has come. We're all going to have to move along now, find some other interest in our lives.

This is not good..

Max Mosley also stated that teams would not be forced to use the engine, with the option of either producing their own version or retaining their existing units, provided there was parity in performance.
A McLaren-Cosworth would work - see 1993 for some sort of evidence. Renault-Cosworth and BMW-Cosworth... not so much. Ferrari-Cosworth - you are joking, right?

A tenner says Jenson Button decides that having his F1 seat whipped out from underneath him turns out to be a good thing after all...

I suspect we'll probably see Renault pull out next, Ghosn is a mad penny-pincher and their F1 team has done nothing but lose massive quantities of money lately.

I fail to see any issue with this. Having a low cost engine for the smaller teams to use can only be a good thing. OK, so there is going to be a standard transmission but woop-de-fucking-do. People are crying about Honda leaving but then bemoan a very good attempt at sensibly reducing costs, what the hell do you people want?

Having a low cost engine for the smaller teams to use can only be a good thing. OK, so there is going to be a standard transmission but woop-de-fucking-do.

That is, in fact, a very major upside to this proposal. It's like going back to 1968-1970something and being able to buy a perfectly raceable engine, with spares and servicing, for a reasonable price in terms of the sport's budgets. Which could result, once the crisis is over, in another boom in team numbers, maybe another period when every man and his dog can start a F1 team.

Which could result, once the crisis is over, in another boom in team numbers, maybe another period when every man and his dog can start a F1 team.
Or every man and his forum...

Mosley is saying that a drastic budget cut that is enforceable could see a return to a full grid. For once, I agree with him, since some teams that are looking towards a F1 operation will be able to buy engines and drivetrains either from the current teams or from engine tender winner Cosworth. If the costs for that operation are capped down succesfully and F1 survives through the economic crisis, which it will (by the skin of its teeth, I guess), we might see, in about 4-5 years, a return to 26-30 car grids.

Hopefully.

Yes. The 6 million Euro price tag is definitely a steal, considering what you get. Mercedes probably spend 5 times that on development alone.

So we could see makes like Lotus coming back because all they have to do would be to build a chassis. A lotus-Cosworth? That's an epic pairing right there.

But seriously, the only bad thing I see to the standard engine is that tech advancement slows down. If you can never be better than the standard then there's not much use trying, is there?

Finalgear-Cosworth FG112? :D

I'd drive it.