2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

'Sudden gust of wind' - exactly how strong was that gust of wind? o_O

I read somewhere that their seats are moulded to each individual driver's back... Raikkonen's back pain just puzzles me.

Some questionable stuff there - one being MANDATORY driver autograph sessions.

Erm, doesnt that Spaniard not sign anything for fear of it being eBayed?

Now what ?

I read somewhere that their seats are moulded to each individual driver's back... Raikkonen's back pain just puzzles me.

If a F1 driver's back hurts, then they strap him in tighter and tighter.

While we're on the subject of back pains, Niki Lauda won the 1984 Italian GP with a slipped disk in his back. So there's proof that you can still drive quickly if you're in pain.

Some questionable stuff there - one being MANDATORY driver autograph sessions.

Erm, doesnt that Spaniard not sign anything for fear of it being eBayed?

Now what ?

I can't imagine some of the drivers feeling too pleased about this... if anything it'll just make some of them moodier. :lol:

If a F1 driver's back hurts, then they strap him in tighter and tighter.

While we're on the subject of back pains, Niki Lauda won the 1984 Italian GP with a slipped disk in his back. So there's proof that you can still drive quickly if you're in pain.
Because the team promised him relief only after the race so he got through it ASAP ? :lol:

On Thursday, Nick Heidfeld successfully wrapped up the BMW Sauber F1 Team's four-day test programme in Jerez. Clocking a time of 1:20.052 minutes, the German was the fastest driver of the day.
Weather conditions: Overcast all day with some sun and strong winds in the afternoon. Air temperature: 15 - 20?C, track temperature: 14 - 22?C Number of drivers participating: 6 from 6 teams

Fastest lap overall: Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber F1 Team) 1:20.052 min Circuit length: 4.428 km

Nick Heidfeld Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.09-03 / BMW 86/9 Test kilometres today: 545 (123 laps) Fastest lap: 1:20.052 min

Programme: In the morning on a damp track Nick Heidfeld took the opportunity to work on the car's set- up on wet tyres. Although later in the day the track dried out quickly, gusty winds prevented any useful aerodynamic work. Instead the BMW Sauber F1 Team concentrated on the mechanical set-up of the car. Heidfeld's 123 laps today brought the mileage to a total of 1,728 kms (plus 209 kms on 2010 tyres) for the Jerez test.

Willy Rampf, BMW Sauber Technical Coordinator, said: "The ever changing weather made it quite difficult to do continuous work during the Jerez test. Nevertheless we achieved the main targets of our development programme. Basically we concentrated on set-up work and evaluation of new components. Running the BMW Sauber F1.09 for the first time in full wet conditions was a valuable experience as well. In addition on one of the days we had the chance to test the 2010 specification tyres. Now we will have a busy weekend working out the programme for the last pre-season test in Barcelona next week. Then we will also have a complete race simulation and pit-stop practice on the schedule."

What comes next: The BMW Sauber F1 Team test crew is now heading for Barcelona where another four days of testing are scheduled from Monday to Thursday next week.

See you in Barcelona with our contender :cool:

hmm.. mcMerc... was it running the 09 wing, when that hurricane sized wind hit hamilton?

As for the back pain, even being strapped in and fitted, you still flex your back muscles for stability; its possible this microcontracting - if its too tight, there won't be enough oxygen and will result in cramps, acid build up can occur. Muscle fatigue and nerve pinching can also contribute. These guys are under a large amount of pressure, so kimi may just be out of shape! haha no surprise with how he looked last year.

These guys are under a large amount of pressure, so kimi may just be out of shape! haha no surprise with how he looked last year.

:lol:

But seriously though, I don't think he's out of shape. He definitely looks skinnier (not in a bad way) than he was last year.

FOTA suggestions are absolutely brilliant. And I think the only real 'enemy' is Bernie. Max seems to be still sensible. I believe he'll support the FOTA things as well.

The FOTA recommendations are all pretty good, except the one below, it sounds like a silly idea to me.

FOTA said:
- Radical new points-scoring opportunities (eg, one constructors' championship point to be awarded for the fastest race pit stop)

EDIT

Renault exit threat fades

06 March 2009

Having threatened to make an exit from Formula One, the Renault team's future in the sport is now confirmed until 2012. With the original message having come from Chief Operator Officer Patrick Pelata on Wednesday, an announcement on Thursday from Team Principal Flavio Briatore dismissed the rumour.

"I believe that from day one with Renault I was always very worried about the costs," the Italian said at the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) press conference in Geneva. "What's happened with FOTA is exactly what Renault had wished for with F1. We have the commitment from Carlos Ghosn (Renault President) saying that if the more efficient F1 does happen, we will stay until 2012."

Reflecting on Wednesday's comments from the Chief Operating Officer - who said that the French team would pull out of the sport in the event of no immediate cost-cutting solutions being found - Briatore added: "What Mr. Pelata said is quite normal, and we need to have a balance between income and expenses. What he said at that moment is very normal and I don't think it is particularly special."

Source

Good news for Renault and F1.

Last edited:
Thought I should post pics of the new Brawn GP machine here:

119231.jpg

The front wing sure is fancy, the most complex looking one yet...

ooo it looks... well I'll have to see more pics, but strangely enough I find myself quite liking how it looks.

This man, who is clearly of mental age 10, believes Formula 1 cars will look like this in 2012.

Might I also suggest lasers?

Fioravanti-LF1-Concept_4.jpg

Also, he seems to have a hatred of Bridgestone as the tires are Pirelli.